Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So she and her group were working with a local 501(c)3, Sky Hope Network (been around for quite a few years now) and their State Representative to help these people before the Red Cross showed up and started throwing their weight around.
Wrong. It's she and her people that crashed the party. She admits she did not make arrangements for food until after she showed up and found none ready to be handed out. Clearly she showed up expecting to hand out someone else's supplies.

Hundreds of evacuees were already there on busses. These evacuees had been at shelters in Beaumont, set up by the city and run by RC. When the city lost power and it's water supply and those shelters were threatened by rising water, the shelters had to be quickly closed down and the people relocated. Arrangements were made for shelters around the state including a mega shelter in Dallas. RC and the city got the people packed up to be bussed to Dallas. Finding routes blocked, they were diverted to the airport to be flown to Dallas.

This wasn't a crowd of refugees who came to the airport looking for a meal. The evacuees were not brought to the airport for the purpose of having a meal. This was an ongoing operation to transfer evacuees from shelters in Beaumont to shelters around the state. This woman, well-intentioned as she was, showed up in the middle of someone else's ongoing operation and wanted to operate it in a different manner. Maybe a hot meal was already waiting for these evacuees in Dallas. Maybe serving a meal to hundreds was a logistical interruption in a coordinated process of getting them out of the city altogether. Maybe getting hundreds of people quickly relocated to a safe place was a higher priority than a meal.

Here's one account.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/amberjamies...8d#.vd5Q6BNve4
Evacuees walked around in the dark, or huddled around their beds. Only a few had flashlights. After about 30 minutes of pitch black, the lights came back on and officials immediately announced that the center was to be evacuated that evening.

“We need to go ahead and start packing up our cots and making a decision about what you’re going to do,” declared a Red Cross official with a megaphone. Red Cross volunteers began handing out black garbage bags.
Many of the evacuees were able to return home by Friday, but about 40% of the remaining people then had to be flown to Dallas — a “Plan B” that Morrow said needed after roads proved to be too flooded for buses to make it through.
According to Dallas city manager TC Broadnax, 120 people arrived in the city from Beaumont Friday morning. Others were on their way, with more flights planned for the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 10:19 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,431 times
Just some little facts about different charities and the money they recieve...

The Amrican Red Cross: President and CEO Marsha J. Evans gets an annual salary of $651,957 (plus expenses). Much of the money they recieve goes to pay staff salaries and if you donate to a specific cause (like Hurricane Harvey) not all funds go to that cause, sometimes not at all.

The United Way: President brian Gallagher gets an annual salary of $500,000 and again most money donated goes to paying staff salaries.

Unicef President Caryl Stern gets an annual salary of $521,820. Most of their funds go to pay staff salaries and not to the people we think we are helping.

Goodwill CEO Michael Miller gets over $800,000 annually for running his "charity shop". He does not pay for any of his product (all clothing, toys and home goods are donated on top of money donations) and the items are sold to the public and monies donated go to higher up staff salaries.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:56 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What do you expect from an organization that encourages people to donate blood and then turns around and sells it?
I expect them to sell it to the hospitals etc. to cover the cost of gathering the blood, storing it and so forth.

If they DIDN'T do that, you and others would be crying that they take donations to pay for their collection\storage etc, get free blood and then give it for free to FOR PROFIT hospitals. What a scam!

This is getting ridiculous.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:00 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Just some little facts about different charities and the money they recieve...

The Amrican Red Cross: President and CEO Marsha J. Evans gets an annual salary of $651,957 (plus expenses). Much of the money they recieve goes to pay staff salaries and if you donate to a specific cause (like Hurricane Harvey) not all funds go to that cause, sometimes not at all.

The United Way: President brian Gallagher gets an annual salary of $500,000 and again most money donated goes to paying staff salaries.

Unicef President Caryl Stern gets an annual salary of $521,820. Most of their funds go to pay staff salaries and not to the people we think we are helping.

Goodwill CEO Michael Miller gets over $800,000 annually for running his "charity shop". He does not pay for any of his product (all clothing, toys and home goods are donated on top of money donations) and the items are sold to the public and monies donated go to higher up staff salaries.
Hey look, another person that makes false claims from memory and conveniently fails to source it.

FYI- Most denotes >50% which would mean that they give out less than half of what they take in. If this were true, they'd lose their charitable status and so I know you're making up garbage.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:17 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
From what I have seen, the so-called questions here are no better than birther or denier-grade nonsense. Some should be quite a bit more careful about the sources from which they take their information.
I cited some investigations done by NPR regarding the Haitian earthquake and the RC.
I don't consider NPR investigations as nonsense or fake news.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:29 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
You show up with 400 Hamburgers. Red Cross says No Thank-You.

Liability

Is the reason way. If everyone get sick from them who do they blame? The Red Cross.

There is No Way the Red Cross know if they have been kept at a Safe Temperature from when they were made to when they were delivered. Or even if they were made in a Clean / Inspected Kitchen.

From a quick Read, 400 Hamburger were flown in a small plane, How long did it take to Make them? How were they stored. How long did it take to get from the burger place to the Airport, The flight to where they were donated. Probably over 2 or 3 Hours of time. So some one get Salmonella from a hamburger what was not properly stored, moved. Who get blamed for giving them the bad burger? Not the people who brought them in, the Red Cross who allowed them to be given out at a Red Cross Controlled location.
This.

I have always heard the Red Cross takes more than they give anyway. But in this case they had a valid reason. Donations should be non-perishable.

Last edited by crd08; 09-06-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 11:33 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
When I was in the Navy back in the early 50s, I was stationed at Alameda Naval Air Station. There were a lot of different squadrons, etc. They came up with what turned into United Way where donations were distributed to different organizations. The Commanding Officer of the base asked each squadron to donate so much money donated by the people in the squadron to the fund, and it was partialed out. Our squadron had a number of us, that had lived in disaster areas, and saw how the red cross really took advantage of people and would not donate, due to the Red Cross being #1 in the amount in the mix of charities. Someone suggested, our squadron donate only to the Salvation Army. Total donations were far above the quota based on number of people. They had the Salvation Army send someone to collect their check one Friday Morning Muster (where the squadron all forms up for morning announcements, etc.). When they got the check, they almost passed out. This became an annual thing at our squadron. The next year and thereafter, they sent the donut/coffee truck when they came to get the check, to thank the men and women who donated.

At the main gate, they had a big signboard showing the donations from each squadron and base personnel. Our squadron had a big $0 showing every year. The Salvation Army on the other hand loved us.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:40 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
I donated to a faith-based organization that had a designated fund for Harvey and already had people on the ground from the beginning, and will have their people on the ground for months after. And I'm not even a Christian. I knew they had a great track record.

I fail to understand why anyone would donate to the Red Cross when there is so much evidence they have a poor record.

Someone posted this link and it can't be posted too often. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/o...s.html?mcubz=0

SOME EXCERPTS:

"A 2015 investigation by ProPublica and NPR documented the Red Cross’s glaring failure to account for how it spent the $488 million it raised in the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake in 2010, including such basics as how many people were assisted and how much money was spent on overhead."

"In the aftermath of Hurricanes Sandy and Isaac, Red Cross officials in Washington “compounded the charity’s inability to provide relief by ‘diverting assets for public relations purposes,’” ProPublica and NPR reported in 2014, citing an internal Red Cross report.

During Isaac, a Red Cross relief truck driver named Jim Dunham described how supervisors ordered trucks usually laden with aid to drive around empty, for appearance’s sake. Mr. Dunham characterized the Red Cross’s relief effort as “worse than the storm.”

During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, the organization was plagued by delays in distributing aid, amid profound disorganization on the ground.
"

"Despite the Red Cross’s enormous size and revenues ($2.7 billion in 2015), most of the disasters it responds to are relatively small, like single-structure fires. Its record on large-scale operations is spotty, and given the enormous amount it collects from Americans, the scope of its ambitions and the fact that a chunk of its budget comes from government agencies, there has been less accountability than Americans might expect emanating from its grand marble headquarters in Washington.

In its most recent assessment, Charity Navigator, a nonprofit organization that evaluates charities based on their Internal Revenue Service filings, gives Red Cross three of four possible stars based on its 2015 filings, but only two stars for financial performance."

Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey look, another person that makes false claims from memory and conveniently fails to source it.

FYI- Most denotes >50% which would mean that they give out less than half of what they take in. If this were true, they'd lose their charitable status and so I know you're making up garbage.
In this day and age, it really isn't that hard to research it for yourself to see the facts. Look it up if you don't want to believe what I posted. I do my research. That is how I am able to make educated decisions on who I donate to.

My company donates to United Way (I kept saying UNUM in an earlier post, my mistake). I refuse to donate to them after researching their CEO, their donating history and seeing what percentage of the money is actually used for the cause. It's ridiculous.

If you don't want to believe what I post...learn how to use google search. The information is very accessible.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:09 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I cited some investigations done by NPR regarding the Haitian earthquake and the RC. I don't consider NPR investigations as nonsense or fake news.
Were those the same cites in which claims were made that the Red Cross had received $500 BILLION in relief funds intended for Haiti? Sure the "B" and the "M" are just two keys apart, but that's a pretty serious typo to be making. The NPR report meanwhile indicates that NGO's as a group have had to face the same sorts of problems. It's hard in general to deliver on promises made in Haiti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events