Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
The following is an eye-opener. So many charities are business first, charity second.

https://www.charitywatch.org/salarie...-red-cross/360

https://www.charitywatch.org/top-charity-salaries

It is very difficult for me to justify giving cash to charities whose top executives earn more than $500k annually.

Those salaries make me want to puke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:18 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
They DIDN'T "dump 400 warm hamburgers" on the Red Cross. The Red Cross tried to TAKE the hamburgers to send to their distribution center and distribute them there, thus taking the liability on themselves and increasing the possibility of contamination (speaking of not using one's head). I read the original post where it was posted on Facebook and that is very clear. By the time the Red Cross showed up (and the poster acknowledged that it would necessarily take them some time to get there, more than people already with boots on the ground), the woman and other volunteers had been working for hours helping victims of the hurricane.

After having seen the Red Cross in action following an F5 (selling sandwiches while the Salvation Army right next door was giving them away, among other things), and talking to other people in other disasters will similar eye witness stories, I will never donate to them again (there are numerous local organizations where one can verify the funds are going where intended) and have absolutely no problem seeing the above occurring.

The Red Cross does not own disasters or disaster relief. They need to stop acting like it.
99.999999% sure the burger when they were packed up in the Ice Coolers and set back to the distribution center were thrown away. Its a way of defusing the situation, as far as the burger donater know, they are going to be send out from the distribution center.

The RC distribution also will not take the risk of unknown food. It will be disposed of. She would have better send the $500-1000 it cost for the burger (retail) to send the money so the a Non/Profit could buy what it needed whole sale. $500/1000 could buy 1000-1500 burgers at the wholesale level.

While It might happen some stray Red Cross volunteer might go off the rails and charge for Disaster Services. Its NOT Red Cross Policy to do so. Red Cross Volunteer are Trained to turn down any offers of funds when in the field. If they would like to donate you direct them to send it in to the RC office. Most canteen truck, have some postage paid envelopes that can be given to anyone who is intent giving you money.

The Red Cross and Salvation Army ... Do what is safe,

Wait 6-9 months from now some will file a lawsuit against Mattress Mack cause they slip in the store that he opened up, were allergies to down pillows,

Everyone From Mattress Mack to the Red Cross have to worry about lawsuits, Even if they win, they still lose cause it cost defend the suit.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:19 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Red Cross is not a gov't agency, correct? No it is a Federally chartered NonProfit, But they work closely with FEMA, and other government agencies

Why do they always show up late for the party and then take over? They Stage Just outside the effected area, When its Safe they come in, Red Cross is not a first responder organization
Neither is the Salvation Army or KCM or Samaritin's Purse or many others but they usually get there first to help.

Who is it that puts them in charge? Congress
All that is good to know. I was truly asking.

My husband was caught in a quake quite some yrs ago and the Red Cross was the last one to show up. People ran out of their homes in the middle of the night in their pjs and were outside for quite some time. Red Cross charged them for coffee, water and sandwiches. Red Cross DOES NOT charge for Disaster Services. Back in WW2 in France the RC did charge for coffee and donuts, because they were Guests of the French Red Cross, and the French Set the Rules.
You can spout that all you want. I said it was some yrs ago... about 40 yrs ago (1971) in Cali. He was there. He's sitting right here, right now and repeated it and he's not a liar. He said they were charging and it was the RC. He told them then they would never get another penny from him.

My husband ran out without his wallet as did many. No $, no svc. Red Cross does not give out money (cash) directly, It gives out Vouchers (Debit Cards) that can be used to buy Emergency Items, But you have to be in there system, get interviewed, to get the Debit Cards, They just don't hand them out on the street.
I didn't say anything about him wanting $$. He and others didn't have any because they ran from their apts, therefore they could not get a cup of coffee or anything else. No money.. no food (like no shoes no svc). You misread my statement. The RC told him he'd have to pay for his coffee. Something like .25 he doesn't quite recall the amount they wanted but he ran out without his money.. they would NOT give him the coffee.

They received nearly half a BILLION dollars donated for the quake in Haiti and what did they do? Rebuilt 6 houses.
There are better places to put your $. Haiti (again the RC is a guest of the Haiti RC) The whole country is so dysfunctional getting anything done is hard. RC is a emergency relief origination, not a Lets Build Homes for everyone, If that is what you are looking for try habitat for humanity

Regardless of how disfunctional the country is, people gave almost a half billion $ for relief for the people of Haiti... and that's what was done. My comment wasn't that they should rebuild homes for everyone it was that not much was done for Haitians with almost half billion raised for Haitian relief.

PreBuying and staging every in advance (that all has to be paid for) cost money. The RC can not wait for a disaster to happen to then say lets go buy 500,000 blankets, Cots, etc.

Its been said they Today Disaster funds tomorrow Disaster needs.
Understandably.. but that should be at the forefront of their asking.. people need to know.. if you have family/friends or whomever in that particular disaster and you are giving for that particular disaster..that may not and probably will not be where your money is going. A lot of people are deceived that way.

RC responds to Thousands of disasters a year, There are no huge fund drives when the house down the street burns down, and the Red Cross show up in the middle of the night, to put that family in a hotel, Gives them debit cards for clothing, Food, replaces all there prescriptions, glasses etc. Talks to School Districts who want to charge the parents of the kids for the burned up text books, computer, etc.

I volunteered for the Red Cross for years, Going out in the middle of the night, for days on end, The RC has to have a paid bureaucracy behind it. Those people get paid, to ensure everything is ready when something happens, So the thousands of volunteers who get assigned have what they need. Are there logistic problems, Sure Things don't get delivered when/where they are suppose to be.
Yes there are... and my point is.. there are other organizations that can do more for the actual victims and/or area with each and every dollar given than the RC can.
I equate it to purchasing a sofa at a store for $5000.00 because they have more paperwork and employees and overhead to pay or.. I can purchase the exact same sofa at another store for $1000.00 because they keep their admin costs down. Guess where my $$ is going...

Old 09-05-2017, 09:32 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
The following is an eye-opener. So many charities are business first, charity second.

https://www.charitywatch.org/salarie...-red-cross/360

https://www.charitywatch.org/top-charity-salaries

It is very difficult for me to justify giving cash to charities whose top executives earn more than $500k annually.
As I posted earlier, they operate more as a business than a charity.

The small local and religious charities do more, give more and are there directly helping the people while the big ones are busy doing spreadsheets and holding organizational meetings.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
I'd sign a waiver to eat a hot burger when I was borderline starving and surviving off of cold gross food.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'd sign a waiver to eat a hot burger when I was borderline starving and surviving off of cold gross food.
And any lawyer worth his/her degree, will get the waver toss out because your were under duress to sign it to get the room temperature burger.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:45 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,417 times
Quote:
Wait 6-9 months from now some will file a lawsuit against Mattress Mack cause they slip in the store that he opened up, were allergies to down pillows,

Everyone From Mattress Mack to the Red Cross have to worry about lawsuits, Even if they win, they still lose cause it cost defend the suit.
You must not be from Texas. Here, the loser in a lawsuit pays the other side's legal and court fees.

That said, exactly how many lawsuits have been documented after a disaster, where the victims sued responders? Has that ever actually happened? If so, where and when?

Old 09-05-2017, 09:46 AM

Even the NYT talks about the problems with the RC and disaster relief.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/o...s.html?mcubz=0
But after years of media reports documenting the Red Cross’s disaster relief failures — including after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Sandy and the Haiti earthquake — some Americans instead are giving to smaller, local charities with a track record in Texas.
The Red Cross is not, however, saying what specific steps it has taken to make sure that this time around donors can be certain that a vast majority of their contributions will go to the people whose plight moved them to give.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
99.999999% sure the burger when they were packed up in the Ice Coolers and set back to the distribution center were thrown away. Its a way of defusing the situation, as far as the burger donater know, they are going to be send out from the distribution center.

The RC distribution also will not take the risk of unknown food. It will be disposed of. She would have better send the $500-1000 it cost for the burger (retail) to send the money so the a Non/Profit could buy what it needed whole sale. $500/1000 could buy 1000-1500 burgers at the wholesale level.

While It might happen some stray Red Cross volunteer might go off the rails and charge for Disaster Services. Its NOT Red Cross Policy to do so. Red Cross Volunteer are Trained to turn down any offers of funds when in the field. If they would like to donate you direct them to send it in to the RC office. Most canteen truck, have some postage paid envelopes that can be given to anyone who is intent giving you money.

The Red Cross and Salvation Army ... Do what is safe,

There have been numerous investigations into the RC about their spending and inability to organize and give direct relief.

$500 billion to the RC for the Haiti earthquake victims and they can't account for where that money went.
6 houses were built in Haiti after the RC refused to show the reporters so they went there by themselves.

Funds are diverted for their "fees" and hiring actors/actresses for PR.

They spend a lot of donation money on themselves. If you want to donate to them fine.

The RC doesn't want to come late to the party and pitch in. They come late to the party and want to take over.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
The absolute best Relief efforts has been from my fellow Texan (and Louisiana) brothers and sisters.

I'd make a contribution to JJ Watts or my church before a big conglomerate like the RC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events