Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Who did "Lindsey Scott" represent? She keeps using "we" on that FB post.

Snopes asked for and received a statement from the Red Cross, which cites food safety concerns and states the burgers were distributed. Apparently the FB post went viral without any further efforts at fact-checking by the numerous websites that reposted it.
FACT CHECK: Did the Red Cross Prevent 400 Hamburgers from Getting to Harvey Victims?

And a big thank you to the NYT for this article, which is immensely helpful to those of us in other parts of the country.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/u...pan-abc-region
Wow, great post! Why does it take so deep into a thread to get supporting information linked?

We had another thread earlier in a different forum where people were dogging on red-cross and got caught in a lie so I'm admittedly suspicious if people refuse to support their annecdotes etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:06 PM

581 posts, read 456,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
You show up with 400 Hamburgers. Red Cross says No Thank-You.

Liability

Is the reason way. If everyone get sick from them who do they blame? The Red Cross.

There is No Way the Red Cross know if they have been kept at a Safe Temperature from when they were made to when they were delivered. Or even if they were made in a Clean / Inspected Kitchen.

From a quick Read, 400 Hamburger were flown in a small plane, How long did it take to Make them? How were they stored. How long did it take to get from the burger place to the Airport, The flight to where they were donated. Probably over 2 or 3 Hours of time. So some one get Salmonella from a hamburger what was not properly stored, moved. Who get blamed for giving them the bad burger? Not the people who brought them in, the Red Cross who allowed them to be given out at a Red Cross Controlled location.
I know the Red Cross is a total sham, but I have to agree with their reasoning. If they have no way of guaranteeing the food was prepared under sanitary conditions and stored properly, I can understand why they wouldn't want it distributed through one of their stations. If people get sick, they sue the organization, not the husband and wife team who made the burgers.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
I think I'll stick to giving to the tried and true.. which red Cross has proven. Seen their work during hostage retrieval...Remarkable beings. They get my support!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
For those of you who are paragraph challenged (being of a certain age, I, too, find long paragraphs hard to read, but I remain capable of sorting them out using such oddities as cut and paste and the return key, fancy that) or who are too lazy to just read the post and who think for some reason that this person was either working for the Red Cross herself or was not associated with a formal group"

They showed up HOURS later....when we had already coordinated the delivery of food and supplies with our LOCAL community members (who came out in droves) and The Sky Hope Network through our wonderful State Representative Dade Phelan after just a single phone call. And the reason they didn't see me (sweating and sunburned) is because I spent most of the day on the aviation side of the airport on the tarmac coordinating the landing, unloading, and transport of supplies the Sky Hope Network was flying in all day. (which was no easy feat considering the insane, chaotic state of the Jerry Ware terminal). I do not care they weren't there (I understand the vast, severe, damage that ranges from Corpus, Rockport, Houston all the way to Louisiana). I do, however, care how they treated the people of our community when they arrived!

So she and her group were working with a local 501(c)3, Sky Hope Network (been around for quite a few years now) and their State Representative to help these people before the Red Cross showed up and started throwing their weight around. Is everyone who volunteers for the Red Cross, or even those on salary, like this? No, of course not, but way too many stories from way too many reliable people show that this is an attitude that, if it is not representative of the organization, needs to be addressed right now, no excuses.

That is, if they want people to still give them money.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
This is a shame that the Red Cross would be doing this.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:24 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Those salaries make me want to puke.
I NEVER donate to any organization whose leaders make more in annual salary than I made before I retired. I figure they can get their peers to donate to support their salaries, not me!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
When I was in Marine Corps boot camp the drill instructors told us what a vile organization the Red Cross was. I had this confirmed by the WWII veteran that swore me in. The Red Cross has never gotten a dime from me since then. I give to the Salvation Army instead. The Red Cross CEO get over a million dollars a year in salary. The head of the Salvation Army gets about $22,000 a year and housing.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:57 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,431 times
What it comes down to is researching the organization to which you want to donate to before donating. I have done my research and I will NOT donate to RC or UNUM.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
What do you expect from an organization that encourages people to donate blood and then turns around and sells it?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:42 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
You show up with 400 Hamburgers. Red Cross says No Thank-You.

Liability

Is the reason way. If everyone get sick from them who do they blame? The Red Cross.

There is No Way the Red Cross know if they have been kept at a Safe Temperature from when they were made to when they were delivered. Or even if they were made in a Clean / Inspected Kitchen.

From a quick Read, 400 Hamburger were flown in a small plane, How long did it take to Make them? How were they stored. How long did it take to get from the burger place to the Airport, The flight to where they were donated. Probably over 2 or 3 Hours of time. So some one get Salmonella from a hamburger what was not properly stored, moved. Who get blamed for giving them the bad burger? Not the people who brought them in, the Red Cross who allowed them to be given out at a Red Cross Controlled location.
I assisted the Red Cross as a CERT worker in opening the shelter at a local college during Hurricane Sandy. We were not to allowed to take in any food for this reason. We had to turn food away due to the fact that we had no controls over the food. Suppose the well meaning food had been out for along time and people got sick. The quarters in a shelter are far from luxurious and often stretched to the max. Now can you just imagine if people had gastro intestinal problems and vomiting in a shelter in large numbers? I can tell you even one person getting sick is not fun and the risk to the entire population is simply not worth it.

Well meaning people arrive at a shelter with clothing. This only adds to the confusion because there are supplies that are washed and sized for easy of distribution. Can you imagine the added work to sort clothing in an overly crowded shelter.?

I never tell people they should donate to X or Y but rather will send you to the NVOAD page and you can read and determine who yo choose to donate to. https://www.nvoad.org/voad-members/national-members/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events