Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 04:53 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,152,591 times

Advertisements

It's a mixed thing. I don't want to see society rewarding bad behavior as we so often do, but I don't want to see felons released with no hope of ever having a decent future after serving their sentence, and in cases like this, rehabilitating. That's not good for society. Leads to recidivism and worse.

They are interested in her for several reasons, one of which is as a case study of sorts. I think ultimately it's up to the schools in question to make this decision based on their own goals and ideals. I can say that I'd be pissed if I personally was passed over for a slot in favor of a former child killer. But as a society, maybe we can learn something about rehabilitation, the roots of generational child abuse, etc.

I'm glad it's not my call because I think I'd feel bad about it either way. Only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 05:25 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,246,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I wish she'd gotten the same prison justice that a male child killer would have gotten, but sadly, she did not. Hopefully she can take that doctorate straight to hell with her when she goes...
Just to be clear, you wish a woman an eternity in hell because she was raped as a child, then brutally beaten by her mother in an attempt to abort the baby, and abandoned to the foster care system.....and then had a mental break because of all that and confessed to a crime that the police had never even attributed to her?

Wow, I would love to know what made you so perfect. People in glass houses and all that.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,751 posts, read 18,091,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I wish she'd gotten the same prison justice that a male child killer would have gotten, but sadly, she did not. Hopefully she can take that doctorate straight to hell with her when she goes...
I disagree that male killers of children get harsher sentences, when the child is someone they know. If a man grabs a strange child off the streets, sexually assaults them and murders them, they do get harsh sentences.

When boyfriends of a mother beat a small child to death, honestly, I'm heartbroken at the short sentences they typically receive.

People who sell prescription medications to people without an Rx get harsher sentences. God help you if you sell painkillers in the state of Florida. You won't be seeing the light of day anytime soon.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:09 PM

15,656 posts, read 10,432,407 times
She beat her 4 year old child and left him to die alone, terrified, and in pain for days and only served 20 of her 50 year sentence. Sounds like a swell gal.

Quoted from NYTimes article in OP:

Two years later, during a stay at a mental-health crisis center, Ms. Jones admitted that she had buried [her son] without notifying the police or Brandon’s father and his family.

At her trial, a former friend testified that Ms. Jones confessed to having beaten the boy and then leaving him alone for days in their apartment, eventually returning to find him dead in his bedroom.

Ms. Jones was sentenced to 50 years in prison, but was released after 20 based on her good behavior and educational attainment.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-16-2017 at 06:21 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 07:34 PM

22 posts, read 13,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
She beat her 4 year old child and left him to die alone, terrified, and in pain for days and only served 20 of her 50 year sentence. Sounds like a swell gal.

Two years later, during a stay at a mental-health crisis center, Ms. Jones admitted that she had buried [her son] without notifying the police or Brandon’s father and his family.

At her trial, a former friend testified that Ms. Jones confessed to having beaten the boy and then leaving him alone for days in their apartment, eventually returning to find him dead in his bedroom.

Ms. Jones was sentenced to 50 years in prison, but was released after 20 based on her good behavior and educational attainment.
Oh well, she brought the child into the world, I guess she thought it was her right to take him out of it too!

Old 09-16-2017, 08:47 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,269,116 times
Moonbats out of the woodwork.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,246,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

Interesting that you chose to omit the part about her being raped at the age of 14, beaten by her mother, etc. There are plenty of people who do truly awful things that haven't gone through any of this. This woman is not one of them.

And keep in mind...it was the judicial system that let her out after 20 years. It's not like she broke out of prison. It's not like she could choose to stay. The prisons are overcrowded so nearly all prisoners are released early.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,592,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It's a mixed thing. I don't want to see society rewarding bad behavior as we so often do, but I don't want to see felons released with no hope of ever having a decent future after serving their sentence, and in cases like this, rehabilitating. That's not good for society. Leads to recidivism and worse.

They are interested in her for several reasons, one of which is as a case study of sorts. I think ultimately it's up to the schools in question to make this decision based on their own goals and ideals. I can say that I'd be pissed if I personally was passed over for a slot in favor of a former child killer. But as a society, maybe we can learn something about rehabilitation, the roots of generational child abuse, etc.

I'm glad it's not my call because I think I'd feel bad about it either way. Only time will tell.
I agree. When a person has paid their debt to society, they should be given a reasonable chance to reintegrate into society in terms of work, residence, and education. If they aren't what is the alternative? That they become outcasts existing on the margins of society?

Yet, I do have to agree with NLVgal that I would not be happy, if I were not accepted and the slot was given to someone who was a child murderer.

PhD programs are generally funded, meaning they students are given a stipend to cover living expenses and their education is free of charge. They are also highly competitive.

What I am wondering is why this particular woman was sought out by so many well regarded schools? Were her GREs very high? What special abilities does she have that other applicants lack?

It seems that certain (but not all) high profile universities accept two kinds of people -legacies and people who have lived in extreme circumstances - were homeless, refugees, brought up in abject poverty etc.

But this is the first time I have hard of a child murderer being accepted to a PhD program.

I need to learn more.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,530,237 times
Anybody who kills their child in cold blooded murder is evil. This woman is evil. I hope she never gets pregnant again.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:28 AM

32,985 posts, read 36,507,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsrandy80 View Post
Oh well, she brought the child into the world, I guess she thought it was her right to take him out of it too!
My mother used to remind me of that. Often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events