Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 12:29 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,404,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its very sad to see so many people wishing punishment for life nowadays, once a person pays their debt to society, they deserve to start over with a clean slate as much as anyone else, in fact its one of the founding principles of our legal system.

However, what I see today is more mob rule than anything else, once someone is even alleged of a crime, people start off on how they need to be punished in terrible ways, often violent deaths even! Its strange, these are probably people who otherwise claim to be good proud americans, but in reality, they would be happier under a nazi style rule, where even a simple allegation is enough to be put to death.

And by the way, when did so many people become so pro-police/ or pro-govt? They seem to take allegations made by these 2 groups very seriously and pretty much trust everything they say...if police say so and so is guilty of X...well they are 100% guilty then, no need to even have a trial or a court hearing, sadly this is the mentality nowadays, where is people used to take the side of their fellow citizen over police or authority in a heartbeat.
And if the cops shoot and kill someone then take their account to be the truth 100 per cent. And if someone videotapes police wrongdoing in such a situation, get angry at whoever took the video and whoever stages protests as a result . And pass laws against the video recording of police
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 12:55 PM

26,204 posts, read 21,701,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Remind me not to hire anyone with a degree from NYU.
Because that solid use of logic right?

Old 09-17-2017, 12:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,550,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"Cold-blooded" implies intent - was that proven? Sounds like the circumstances were very unclear. Felons rarely are even given a chance to reform themselves and then are faulted when they can't get jobs. At least this woman did something while she was in prison. Certainly she did a terrible thing - and she served 20 years for it....some get out much sooner even...and then support themselves with further criminal activity. I guess I know what you'd prefer so you could continue to revile them. Guess it's good you're not a Christian.
What do I prefer? Please tell me.

Killing your children is the ultimate evil. Unless of course you have a true mental defect and you don't know what you are doing, hearing voices, kind of like schizophrenia.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:14 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,463,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What do I prefer? Please tell me.

Killing your children is the ultimate evil. Unless of course you have a true mental defect and you don't know what you are doing, hearing voices, kind of like schizophrenia.
In this case, if it was in fact the ultimate evil then why was she not given the death penalty or a life sentence without parole? We don't know all the particulars of the case but it's very possible there were extenuating circumstances accounting for her "light sentence" - at least in her personal life we know about and perhaps also others around her mental state at the time.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:50 PM

17,682 posts, read 13,498,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Mother who murdered son admitted to NYU doctoral program after serving 20 years was denied Harvard.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/u...ones.html?_r=0
Gotta love them Libs, don't we?

Old 09-17-2017, 01:57 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yes, if she had molested him instead of murdering him, she could have been punished for life even after prison. Ironic.
Oh yes, if its a sex crime, especially against a child or teenager, might as well bypass the trial or court hearing, once the allegation is made, that person is automatically convicted by most of the public.

This is just another example of how pro-police/pro-authority people have become, they are ready to see someone suffer a horrible death just because a law enforcement agency alleges they committed a crime like this!??

I still remember times when this was the opposite, people would initially distrust allegations made by police, they would truly assume innocence until a court deemed otherwise. Its very disappointing to me to see a majority of people today be so trusting of law enforcement.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,726,719 times
I know someone who murdered another and she is very high placed...she served time, paid her dues and then turned out to be the smartest person in the room in every endeavor she entered after that. Now she is a top official in a major jurisdiction.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,705,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I believe in second chances. She served her time; she will not be having anymore children and would not appear to be a danger to society at this time.
So you know for sure she wouldn't harm or kill someone else's child?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,705,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Just to be clear, you wish a woman an eternity in hell because she was raped as a child, then brutally beaten by her mother in an attempt to abort the baby, and abandoned to the foster care system.....and then had a mental break because of all that and confessed to a crime that the police had never even attributed to her?

Wow, I would love to know what made you so perfect. People in glass houses and all that.
Why did you leave out the part that she brutally beat and murdered her 4 year old?

So anyone who gets raped and had abusive parents gets a pass to murder their own kids?

Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,606,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So you know for sure she wouldn't harm or kill someone else's child?
No one ever knows for SURE about anything in life.

But we are a nation of LAWS and this individual served her time and took the opportunity to better herself.

The LAW said she should be released ~ and so she was. Would YOU prefer to pay for her welfare and Medicaid for the rest of her life or would you prefer her to be a contributing member of society?

Those are your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events