Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 07:23 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What Michelle Jones did was very cold and calculated. She hid his body and would not tell anyone, to this day, where the body is hidden. It's likely that she dismembered his body and buried the parts in different places. She then went to a theater workshop with a friend. These are the actions and behavior of a psychopath. She is also a smart woman and knew that finding his body could lead to a longer prison sentence for her.

One thing I've noticed about feminists is that they consistently defend women who murder their children. They see women as being forced into motherhood by the "patriarchy". This is what turned me against the feminist movement.

A 20 year sentence is very light for murdering a child. She did get off easy. A man who murdered a child would have been given a life sentence or the death penalty. That is a factual statement.
Why do you keep trying to make this a "feminist" issue? You're the only one bringing that up, and even accused me of being some femi-nazi type... you were wrong about me, and are probably wrong about your other assumptions. Do you have some vendetta against feminists, and just using this as your personal platform?

I don't think anyone "excuses" child murderers, whether or not they consider themselves a feminist. And plenty of men get 20-year sentences (or less) for murder, so I'd like to see your sources for that "fact" you've claimed. Can't call something a FACT without the sources to back it up, ya know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 07:36 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What if it were your kid she killed? Would you be quite so forgiving and understanding? "She served her given sentence blah blah blah"
First of all, she killed her own child - not someone else's child. While that may seem inconsequential (and is to the poor child), you're using a logical fallacy because it's the difference between forgiving another vs forgiving yourself. If you want me to answer your question, though, I would not forgive her, but would accept if she was given a sentence and served it. If I disagreed with that sentence, I'd be fighting the courts/judge, not her personally. But that's a completely different discussion, and irrelevant to whether she should be allowed into a PhD program after her release. She's been released, and we're talking about what she should be allowed to do NOW. If you want to discuss her crime and sentence, you could start a new thread for that.

But I'm not even talking about forgiveness here, and I am NOT defending her actions AT ALL. I am only arguing the topic (which seems to be straying) from the analytical & factual perspective, and the fact is that she was given a sentence and served it. Right? Whether or not we agree with the sentence given, that's what the judge decided, and she served her time without further incident (AFAIK). Now that she's out, I would rather she have the opportunity to finish that education, and to contribute positively until her death.

What is the alternative, in your mind? Should she be barred from education and/or employment? If so, what do you predict would happen to her? Maybe she'd still be a law-abiding citizen, or maybe she would not... but I personally would rather err on the side of optimism, instead of writing her off as a hopeless case.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-28-2017 at 08:00 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 09:07 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,420,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And this attitude is why we have such high recidivism rates among criminals... if you're treated like a criminal, you will likely continue to act like one. On the other hand, if you are given a chance to move forward after serving your time, you're more likely to make a positive contribution to society. Everyone deserves that chance, and if she proves us wrong, THEN you can label her as hopeless. Only then, imo.
Maybe if she had felt complete remorse, and told authorities where to find the body, then my opinion COULD slightly change.

Until then, nope.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 09-28-2017 at 10:33 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 07:38 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,435,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Maybe if she had felt complete remorse, and told authorities where to find the body, then my opinion COULD slightly change.

Until then, nope.
My opinion is, she won't tell where the body is, because it's in bits and pieces everywhere. It's common for sociopaths to dismember bodies and hide the parts in various places. If people knew she did this, it would make her look even worse. She claims she was having some kind of psychotic episode, when she murdered the child, but she attended a theater workshop right after she killed him. Someone in a psychotic state would not have the presence of mind to attend some theater workshop right afterwards.

It's clear that being a mom interfered with her life goals and ambitions.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:10 PM

6,741 posts, read 5,986,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And this attitude is why we have such high recidivism rates among criminals... if you're treated like a criminal, you will likely continue to act like one. On the other hand, if you are given a chance to move forward after serving your time, you're more likely to make a positive contribution to society. Everyone deserves that chance, and if she proves us wrong, THEN you can label her as hopeless. Only then, imo.
Actually, the excessive leniency towards criminals is what leads to more crime.

The great failure of the 1960s-1970s was trusting liberals to fix the massive crime wave. Social scientists preached that it wasn't their fault, prisons just made things worse, and we could cure them with sympathy and hugs.

Finally Reagan came along and said lock'em up, and then crime began to decline.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:27 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,455,765 times
A link that i found interesting..apologies if this has been posted..too lazy to wade through this thread:

https://www.earnthenecklace.com/mich...-4-facts-know/

"Michelle Jones’ age is unknown but she’s believed to be 43 years old. According to the New York Times, Jones got pregnant at the tender age of 14 in what was she described as “non-consensual sex” with a high school senior. At the time, her mother beat Jones’ stomach with a board, after which she was placed within a series of foster families and group homes.
Michelle Jones’ son was Brandon Sims and he was 4 years old when he was found dead in 1992. According to her personal statement in her Harvard application, Jones had a psychological breakdown after being abandoned for years. At her trial, Jones’ former friend revealed that she confessed to beating her son to death, left his body in the apartment alone for days, and buried the body without telling Brandon’s father or family. Jones would have been around 22 years old at the time she was incarcerated (1996) and was sentenced to 50 years in prison, but was released from an Indiana Women’s Prison for good behavior and for her academic achievements while in prison."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events