Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:14 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,346,261 times

Advertisements

Stop worrying about handing out speeding tickets and maybe they'd have time for crimes like this. As for them hiring security, there are legal complications to trying to act as law enforcement when you aren't actually a member of law enforcement. If they try to stop someone from leaving with shoplifted merchandise and that person refuses to comply, there's only so much they can do without an actual police presence. If you take them back to "roughen them up" they'res a chance they could sue and win far more than the merchandise they stole, not to mention the cost in tying up the store in court. Police are not just allowed to "roughen people up" ... they have procedures they must follow.

Easiest way to deal with this is increase penalties for repeat offenders. First offense... $500 fine, no jailtime. Second offense... $1000 fine, 30 days in jail. Third offense... $2500 fine, 1 year in jail. Fourth Offense... $5000 fine, 5 years in prison. The offenses go off your record after 7 years.

Stealing a couple hundred dollars in merchandise seems so pathetic and not worth the risk to me. Jobs are plentiful even if they pay crap. There's simply no excuse. If you like the thrill of potentially getting caught, well you should have to pay the price. Much easier and safer to go on government cheese.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-26-2017 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 PM

19,105 posts, read 12,797,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
If you take them back to "roughen them up" they'res a chance they could sue and win far more than the merchandise they stole, not to mention the cost in tying up the store in court.
That's why your "extra" security crew needs to be "unofficial"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Stealing a couple hundred dollars in merchandise seems so pathetic and not worth the risk to me.
couple hundred? most of these deadbeats are stealing $15 razor blades and $30 memory cards. It's beyond pathetic. Petty criminals are by and large complete morons

Old 10-27-2017, 03:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,446,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's why your "extra" security crew needs to be "unofficial"
If a Home Depot was caught with an "unofficial" security crew whose job it was to physically beat people, even if they are shoplifters, what do you think the penalty would be?

It would likely cost millions in legal fees just to begin with, everyone involved would go to prison, and the brand would take an immense hit, affecting every store in the chain. Their stock would drop and it could bankrupt them. All because some store manager wanted to run his Home Depot like the mafia.

This idea is insane.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:20 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,025,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If a Home Depot was caught with an "unofficial" security crew whose job it was to physically beat people, even if they are shoplifters, what do you think the penalty would be?

It would likely cost millions in legal fees just to begin with, everyone involved would go to prison, and the brand would take an immense hit, affecting every store in the chain. Their stock would drop and it could bankrupt them. All because some store manager wanted to run his Home Depot like the mafia.

This idea is insane.
My opinion is that if you are shoplifting, you deserve to get the crap kicked out of you and I don't care if you are permanently disfigured. I wouldn't be surprised to find that theft is up over the past 20 years or so strictly because the thieves know the store and employees aren't going to do anything. If more stores would take responsibility and rights were given to retailers so that they can protect their goods (without lethal force), then maybe retail theft would drop.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,949,259 times
Witnessed a couple of shoplifters bolting out the door at TJ Maxx this afternoon - security guy was right on them when the alarm went off, and they dropped their substantial loot - women's clothing - right at the door but apparently got away. A cool mannered young clerk gathered up the unsuccessfully stolen items into a cart and brought them back inside, then took them to the store room in back.

When I checked out, I asked if the police had been called - yes, and the suspects had been seen scoping out the place a few days previously. I hope film from store cameras will be helpful in identifying these low-lives and putting them out of their thieving business for a long time.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,163,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Happens to renters - if people call the cops on them or they call the cops too much then they can actually get evicted, regardless of whether THEY are doing anything criminal or not. Similar concept...
Glad you brought this up-- I heard of this a few years ago and couldn't believe it. An apartment I lived at a womans ex had come there to beat her up , police called, the guy went to jail for a short bit, got out came back and she (or someone??) called police- she got a move out notice not long after. In general I have a very low view of landlord/ apartment managers. Had one really decent one in all my life. Learning of this made me see them as pretty much scum, almost like pimps who pimp out their property and take advantage or abuse tenants rights- usually the tenants who are really young, or single etc...

Old 10-30-2017, 01:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,446,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
My opinion is that if you are shoplifting, you deserve to get the crap kicked out of you and I don't care if you are permanently disfigured. I wouldn't be surprised to find that theft is up over the past 20 years or so strictly because the thieves know the store and employees aren't going to do anything. If more stores would take responsibility and rights were given to retailers so that they can protect their goods (without lethal force), then maybe retail theft would drop.
Well, when I worked in asset protection, the most common profile for a shoplifter was a late 20s to early 30s woman with 2-3 toddlers in tow and a stroller with a baby in it. You can shove a lot of merchandise in the bottom of a stroller and under the baby.

Good luck getting your mommy-pummeling law passed.

The second most common shoplifter was a middle-aged to elderly woman with a large handbag, totebag, or other shopping bags.

So now we would be beating grandmothers into submission.

Next would be junkies. Male or female.

Here I think it would be easier to get people behind your beat-their-teeth out law going.

Also to consider, would you really want to have staff on site who have no qualms about beating the crap out of mommies, old ladies, and even junkies? You really want violent sociopaths chilling in the break room with innocent 18 year old cashiers putting themselves through college?

I get that you think a stable, peaceful society is one where the threat of violence hovers over everyone like an oppressive cloud, but many people might disagree.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:08 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,496,178 times
Quote:
Well, when I worked in asset protection, the most common profile for a shoplifter was a late 20s to early 30s woman with 2-3 toddlers in tow and a stroller with a baby in it. You can shove a lot of merchandise in the bottom of a stroller and under the baby.

The second most common shoplifter was a middle-aged to elderly woman with a large handbag, totebag, or other shopping bags.

Here I think it would be easier to get people behind your beat-their-teeth out law going.

Also to consider, would you really want to have staff on site who have no qualms about beating the crap out of mommies, old ladies, and even junkies? You really want violent sociopaths chilling in the break room with innocent 18 year old cashiers putting themselves through college?

I get that you think a stable, peaceful society is one where the threat of violence hovers over everyone like an oppressive cloud, but many people might disagree.

The Purge: Shoplifters edition ya'll!

Old 10-30-2017, 04:02 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,025,270 times
Quote:

If you don't want to get beat, don't steal. It is that simple. Also, who said anything about a law. I said that if you get caught stealing, I believe you should get an ass whooping. After enough ass whoopings, maybe you won't steal anymore.

I think that is one big problem with our country, we are too lenient on punishments for crimes, and don't even get me started on our prisons. In our prisons, TVs should be gone, commissary should be gone, sports should be gone. I can understand having this stuff in jail because people in jail are still awaiting trial. Once found guilty of your crime, you go to prison which should resemble hell on earth. Don't like prison, don't break the law.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:06 PM

579 posts, read 370,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
If you don't want to get beat, don't steal. It is that simple. Also, who said anything about a law. I said that if you get caught stealing, I believe you should get an ass whooping. After enough ass whoopings, maybe you won't steal anymore.

I think that is one big problem with our country, we are too lenient on punishments for crimes, and don't even get me started on our prisons. In our prisons, TVs should be gone, commissary should be gone, sports should be gone. I can understand having this stuff in jail because people in jail are still awaiting trial. Once found guilty of your crime, you go to prison which should resemble hell on earth. Don't like prison, don't break the law.
See if 37 of 50 states are willing to overturn the 8th Amendment. Don't hold your breath!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events