Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 05:52 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,401,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
If a business or residence had fire alarms going off every day/week the Fire dept would bill them for fines eventually, if it wasn't already a policy. I guess they want to put some onus on Home Depot to take care of some of their own problems.
You're example implies fire alarms, but no actual fire. If the store is calling the police out without actually having caught shoplifters I'd agree, but if the crime has occurred the police should be obligated to react.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 06:09 AM

50,544 posts, read 47,341,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
This is the most liberal drivel nonsense I've ever heard... a business brings jobs and invests hard earned capital into the local economy. The retailer than calls the cops to enforce the law and prevent or punish theft. Rather than hold local citizens accountable they would blame the business label them and possibly punish them.
Also why you don't find grocery stores in the hood.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How would I know? Lowe's also has security. Maybe Lowe's isn't calling the police and just letting it go. Maybe there's a bus stop in front of Home Depot and there isn't at Lowe's. Just because you're not seeing reports about it happening at Lowe's, doesn't mean that it's not happening.
yes, i have a feeling thats whats going on, when I looked over police reports, it was always the same handful of stores making frequent calls to pick up shoplifters, its this HD, the high end make up place and a few other retail places, but this city is large, has many many retail places, if its only a few places calling about shoplifters, this means most are probably just letting them go or doing nothing about it.

As I mentioned earlier, my company, a large gas station/ convenience store chain, stopped pursuing shoplifters after one called the hotline about being detained until police arrived. Even with fuel drive offs, all store can do is write down their plate number and refuse them service if they come back. Im not naming my company name for obvious reasons!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,081,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
True facts where I work:
Security personnel (3). Day/mid/ and evening shifts.
Cameras every where..( minus dressing rooms or bathrooms).
Staff at any given time..26.
Yet...We have continuous shoplifting . Why? Because our business has a wonderful policy that only the security personnel can attest to the actual crime. We (the staff) can actually see the shop lifting as it's happening.. But because we are not 'security'..Our word isn't enough.! So joe our security guy says..Well I can't be everywhere at once! So out goes free product...
And don't even get me started on the credit card scammer.. Who I am 100% certain it's not their card,but our business says...Hey! Let it go thru...We still get the money and the real card holder isn't liable.and yes even when I check ID, I get reprimanded by management if I am 'harrassing' a customer who clearly isn't the card holder! It's crazy! So until these business's take a better approach and allow us adults to report theft...Then let them be under scrutiny ...

I know a lot of stores are like this. I know this is Brooks Brothers policy, at least, but they're not the only retailers.

Every once in awhile, I'll see on the news, where some store employee chased and caught a shoplifter, and later got fired for going against policy.

It would SEEM to suggest this is NOT HD's policy, and instead, the police are called.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:20 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,435,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
This is the most liberal drivel nonsense I've ever heard... a business brings jobs and invests hard earned capital into the local economy. The retailer than calls the cops to enforce the law and prevent or punish theft. Rather than hold local citizens accountable they would blame the business label them and possibly punish them.
Well, would a seedy massage parlor be considered a nuisance business?

Old 09-20-2017, 08:21 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,844,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have a good friend that sits on a local city council, they have an upcoming vote on whether to label the Home Depot a 'nuisance business'.

I just heard about this, but did some searching online and it does appear this particular Home Depot catches shoplifters sometimes multiple times per day, police are always being sent here to pick them up and officially charge them. Just looking thru the city arrest records, this home depot and a few other retail stores seem to take up a lot of police resources. Another store that sells higher end makeup in the same area in one week called for police over shoplifting, a whooping 24 times!! But its only a handful of businesses that have this problem.

Whats strange about this, a Lowes stores is only about 4 blocks away from this HD and apparently its rare for them to call for police over shoplifting.

The city council member I know is voting for the label, but I think his opinion of home depot in general was pretty low, even before this came up, so it should be interesting to see what happens. In the past, once a business gets this label, its not long before the city shuts them down, usually though in the past, its always been smaller businesses, never huge companies like Home depot.
I know a sitting Judge where she tells me that Walmart shoplifters are over 95% of her day every day. The Walmart is still there, but the county it's in keeps on having budget problems.

Usually if a council wants to name a business as a 'nuisance business', translates to that they don't have the funding to run their court system efficiently.

So it comes down to do they let the criminals win by stealing w/o having to worry about being caught and charged or do they raise taxes to cover the court costs of prosecuting thieves.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Aksarben I am not sure if it was an Omaha or a Lincoln Home Depot where an employee chased a shoplifter out of the store and held him for the Police. Said Employee lost his job and caught all kinds of grief over the incident. This happened within the last two years iirc.
Yes, thids is what made my company change our policy, a manager cannot detain a shoplifter until police arrive, they just do not have that authority.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,824,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, thids is what made my company change our policy, a manager cannot detain a shoplifter until police arrive, they just do not have that authority.
Funny how a bouncer at a bar or security at a venue like a concert of sporting even has no problem detaining people...

But the local grocery store with a uniformed security person says it is against policy...

We had a very large Mom and Pop Hardware Store where I live opened in 1946...

Several times I went to the manager to say someone just slipped something under their coat... being a Mom and Pop they were most grateful...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-20-2017 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 11:52 AM

9,022 posts, read 13,886,695 times
Maybe Home Depot should stop paying taxes.

You pay taxes so you can pay for police protection,or so i thought.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:32 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe Home Depot should stop paying taxes.

You pay taxes so you can pay for police protection,or so i thought.
Yup. Nuisance tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events