Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:56 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

My husband works pt at HD and the theft rate is unbelievable. I've never heard him say that the police are ever called, though. It may be that your town's HD management has taken a more pro active stance. At ours, they just hope to keep it under the expected 10% or so, and write it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 06:33 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
^^^^
Think about who is making up for the loss of 10% of inventory the next time you buy a tray of petunias or a can of paint. [clue- it's not home depot]

Old 09-17-2017, 06:33 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Maybe they should just hire a bouncer to give them a few abrasions when he drop kicks them out of the store. Only after a few photos, of course. What shoplifter is going to complain to the police when there is film and photographs?

I shop at Home Depot once in a while. They aren't a nuisance. The thieves are a nuisance.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:00 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
That’s crazy! The city council having the power to label a business as a ‘nuisance’ because of shoplifter, I’ve never heard of such a thing. How about the city council getting their police department to actually help the situation by working with the store? I know the Home Depot stores in my area are always monitoring the shoplifter problem and they do everything they can to prevent it. There may be too many lowlife individuals that feel they can take advantage of these big box stores and thus the problem is how to get rid of the lowlifes in the area.
Happens to renters - if people call the cops on them or they call the cops too much then they can actually get evicted, regardless of whether THEY are doing anything criminal or not. Similar concept...

Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
This needs to be a joint effort in order to minimize shoplifting. Sounds like your HD store needs to install a much better camera/security system plus hire a couple of uniformed guards. The savings from the reduction in thefts would more then pay for this.

Of course, as long as thieves know the first couple of times getting caught will net them only a slap on the wrist they have no incentive to refrain. In general, shoplifting laws need to be much tougher. If I have to pay for anything, I'd rather pay to house thieves in prison than pay increased prices to compensate for shoplifters.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:50 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
How does hiring security reduce the number of calls to police? Typically police are only called after a shoplifter is apprehended so that charges can be filed. Sounds like this particular store is already aggressively going after the shoplifting problem and the local police are not happy about having to respond over what they consider petty crimes. Would the better alternative be for HD to just turn a blind eye to the shoplfiters?

Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
How does hiring security reduce the number of calls to police? Typically police are only called after a shoplifter is apprehended so that charges can be filed. Sounds like this particular store is already aggressively going after the shoplifting problem and the local police are not happy about having to respond over what they consider petty crimes. Would the better alternative be for HD to just turn a blind eye to the shoplfiters?

It's not hiring security- it's hiring employees- shoplifters aren't as likely to try it if there are employees around.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:02 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
It's not hiring security- it's hiring employees- shoplifters aren't as likely to try it if there are employees around.
Only to a certain extent and generally only the amateurs. The experienced ones know how difficult it is to prove and they don't much care if there are employees around. Unless a store can hire enough employees to ride the coattails of every suspect I don't think it's going to affect shoplifting very much.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:55 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
True facts where I work:
Security personnel (3). Day/mid/ and evening shifts.
Cameras every where..( minus dressing rooms or bathrooms).
Staff at any given time..26.
Yet...We have continuous shoplifting . Why? Because our business has a wonderful policy that only the security personnel can attest to the actual crime. We (the staff) can actually see the shop lifting as it's happening.. But because we are not 'security'..Our word isn't enough.! So joe our security guy says..Well I can't be everywhere at once! So out goes free product...
And don't even get me started on the credit card scammer.. Who I am 100% certain it's not their card,but our business says...Hey! Let it go thru...We still get the money and the real card holder isn't liable.and yes even when I check ID, I get reprimanded by management if I am 'harrassing' a customer who clearly isn't the card holder! It's crazy! So until these business's take a better approach and allow us adults to report theft...Then let them be under scrutiny ...

Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
sounds like Home Depot IS working their own security; otherwise they wouldn't be calling the cops to pick up the shoplifters who have been identified.

Did HD nab a family member of a city council member, is that what the problem is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events