Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:46 AM

45,575 posts, read 60,857,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Aksarben I am not sure if it was an Omaha or a Lincoln Home Depot where an employee chased a shoplifter out of the store and held him for the Police. Said Employee lost his job and caught all kinds of grief over the incident. This happened within the last two years iirc.
That's happened at more than one place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 12:00 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,594,657 times
^ maybe the crime rate is going up. therefore house values are going down. therefore people are moving away. therefore the total amount of property/school tax budget is going down.

this is why denver was the first city to legalize it -- if you stop arresting people then the crime never happened.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:37 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,884,384 times
I haven't read all the responses but did anyone mention the amount of police calls to a Walmart store in a bad area? Our local Walmart has the police there a lot. Not only shoplifting but fights, drug sales and purse snatchings in the parking lot.

There was an article in the paper a few months ago about a town that is debating refusing to provide police services to the Walmart in the area because of the high percentage of police calls that come from the store.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:03 PM

518 posts, read 1,054,780 times
If a business or residence had fire alarms going off every day/week the Fire dept would bill them for fines eventually, if it wasn't already a policy. I guess they want to put some onus on Home Depot to take care of some of their own problems.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:14 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,018,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
If a business or residence had fire alarms going off every day/week the Fire dept would bill them for fines eventually, if it wasn't already a policy. I guess they want to put some onus on Home Depot to take care of some of their own problems.
what are you talking about?? Home Depot IS taking care of their own problems by catching criminals and then calling the police to take them away with charges filed. These aren't false alarms which have the police showing up only to turn around empty handed. If you REALLY want Home Depot to handle their own problems fully, allow them to build a jail and house these caught criminals. Or just allow them to execute the scum and dispose of the bodies in one of the many wood chippers they sell.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:21 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,400,408 times
Seems to me that the Home Depot shouldn't have to collect any local sales tax or pay property taxes if the city doesn't want to provide the services that those are supposed to pay for.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,789,691 times
We have the opposite problem and the police want the store in question to use police services.

Safeway in Concord CA has a shoplifting problem but Safeway prefers to take the loss and not call the police.

I have seen youths fill a shopping cart to the brim and simply head out the door and disappear out of sight... meat, Tide, Pampers and Hygiene products...

What the store has done is block and secure several of the exits which prevents emergency escape and I do find that most troubling as this is part of my duties where I work and blocking and exit would NEVER be tolerated.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/concord-saf...-with-problems

Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,422,905 times
There is a shopping center I know of, that decided to become more 'upscale' and put in Chanel stores, stores that sold $500 pairs of shoes, etc. Now they have tons of crime in that area. People are robbing these stores like crazy to steal the luxury goods. But also, these stores attract pimps and hookers that shop there, not the upscale clientele they had hoped for.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:26 PM

579 posts, read 370,318 times
If someone comes into your house and steals something, you can shoot the thief rather than calling the police and pressing charges. Maybe stores should start doing that. The crime rate will fall precipitously, both from deterrence by word of mouth and because repeat thievery is not possible.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 PM

9,386 posts, read 7,016,792 times
This is the most liberal drivel nonsense I've ever heard... a business brings jobs and invests hard earned capital into the local economy. The retailer than calls the cops to enforce the law and prevent or punish theft. Rather than hold local citizens accountable they would blame the business label them and possibly punish them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events