Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 15 days ago)

16,131 posts, read 21,271,956 times

Advertisements

So if you had a non life threatening allergy to dogs why would it even come up as a topic with the crew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 08:46 AM

13,730 posts, read 12,527,528 times
This situation was a sour mixture of a woman from a culture that doesn't care for (or at least doesn't esteem like we do) dogs, and a level of arrogance.

I accept that she might have an extremely severe dog allergy. I'm not an allergist, so I can't say for certain, but I still have trouble believing that if she is so severe, she doesn't have an epi-pen everywhere she goes.

I have a severe cat allergy. I never recognized it as serious as it was til I went to a checkup the day after an attack and my Dr, who is normally very calm and collected, freaked out about it. My chest fills up with fluid in a hurry and I can't breath laying down. I don't go to houses that have cats. I take an inhaler and epi pen to my inlaws, although they don't allow the cat upstairs where I sleep and she stays off the leather furniture where I sit. But, if I were to lay down in their bed where she sleeps, or on a couch where she would nap, that would be it. But simply being in her presence isn't going to do it. I have to get a lungful of her dander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Total BS. I should NOT have to deal with a dog on a closed flight where there is little air circulation. Leave your damn mutt home LOL.

And no..my asthma is almost non existent due to medication except when trapped with an animal and an inhaler will do little to slow an attack.

Again, I would not have reacted like this lady.
I've rarely been on a flight that didn't have a dog or cat on it. They have allowed small ones in the cabin as checked luggage for as long as I can remember. In fact, you used to be allowed to bring almost anything with you in an airplane. I was watching a historical short about Pheasant Hunting in North Dakota...Men (wearing coats, ties, and hats) disembarked at the Sioux Falls airport with their cased Over/Under shotguns as their carry on items.

The larger animals as ESA's is a more recent phenomenon. But you have undoubtedly flown many times with cats and dogs and never knew it.

Quote:
Never noticed them ...truly. And THAT should be illegal...period. If Muffy wants to travel , she can leave her designer mutt home.
Since you've never noticed them, what's the problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL all I can say is she better not visit Germany. There are dogs everywhere. Dogs in restaurants, dogs in stores, dogs on trains, dogs everywhere.

Personally I loved it but I'm just sayin'...there are lots of dogs around, and no one seems to mind it.
I visited Seattle and it was the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
They aren't, but you have to know they are frequently passed off as "service animals" so they can accompany their owners anywhere they wish to take them.
They aren't passed off as "service animals." They are "passed off" as Emotional Support Animals. ESA's have a much lower bar, and airlines are mostly required to accommodate them at no fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Nope. I'm not confused. I know what a service dog is and what a therapy dog is. Therapy dogs are NOT covered by ADA. Anyone can get a therapy dog "certified" by paying a few dollars on the internet and printing the certificate. I know several folks who've done this and as a dog owner it irritates the hell out of me.

Purse dogs seem to be a common one to call a therapy dog. I've got 2 dogs small enough to fit in a bag, but I don't lug them around unless they're going to the vet or groomer. Sure they're cute, adorable, whatever, but they're still just regular ole dogs. It's not like they're a seeing eye dog. They're just cute....to some people. Some of the crabbiest dogs I've meet were called therapy dogs! I'd be crabby too if you stuck me in a bag all day and lugged me around.
Here's what your missing. It isn't the ADA that comes into play. Its the Air Carrier Access Act.
https://www.transportation.gov/sites...rix.6-28-6.pdf
The ACAA says
Quote:
Any animal that is individually trained or able to provide assistance to a qualified person with a disability; or any animal shown by documentation to be necessary for the emotional well-being of a passenger.
The Bolded is why its easy to fly with a dog.

Also, this sort of muddies the waters: Emotional support animals are recognized as service animals ONLY UNDER THE ACAA. So the DOJ, FHA, DOT, etc...have stricter rules.

But now lets get down to people's real motivations: Cost.

I flew with an 11 week old puppy in a carry on and was charged $125 each way for the privilege. This, for a dog that was incapable of being more disturbing than a toddler, and smaller than my regular carry on. Oh, and the vet visit ahead of time wasn't free either.

Later that fall I paid $200 each way to take him on a hunting trip. This is for a piece of oversize luggage that didn't weigh 50 lbs at the time.

People look at boarding a dog, that probably runs $30 a day, and the health risks involved...So I get why people have the doctor sign something.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:51 AM

35,365 posts, read 17,273,314 times
I suspected that Islam would become an issue sooner rather than later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If she's from Afghanistan she likely has a religious issue with dogs. If that' the case, tough luck. She's in America.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,597,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I suspected that Islam would become an issue sooner rather than later:
Can't trust any ideology, religious or not, that has a dim view of dogs.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:35 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,922,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Way too many damn dogs in public. We can't ban them, but we should restrict them more.
Many people feel the same about children.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:55 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,922,751 times
Quote:
I think that is a bad example. Someone intentionally trying to hurt an animal deserves what he/she gets. The real question is would you save your dogs life at the expense of another human?
In a New York minute.

And moreover, people like Tlarnla who are tired of people valuing their dogs over people would do better to campaign their beloved fellow humans into being better people then.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing people tell me I should put Charles Manson, and others of his ilk, above my beloved dog simply because THEY'RE human.

NopeNopeNope !!!

Old 10-05-2017, 12:19 PM

53,057 posts, read 34,858,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
she played the 'little brown woman' card. not surprised.

Quote:
In a statement released Wednesday, Daulatzai’s attorneys charged that she was “profiled, abused, interrogated, detained, and subjected to false reporting and the trauma of racist, vitriolic public shaming precisely because she is a woman, a person of color, and a Muslim.”
“They just didn’t trust me,” she told the ABC News show, breaking her silence a week after video of the incident went viral. “I was a brown woman with a hoodie.”

Old 10-05-2017, 01:08 PM

23,504 posts, read 19,222,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Now she is playing the race card.
"Muslim" isn't a race.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:42 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,388,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
LMAO This was hilarious!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:46 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,206,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
In a New York minute.

And moreover, people like Tlarnla who are tired of people valuing their dogs over people would do better to campaign their beloved fellow humans into being better people then.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing people tell me I should put Charles Manson, and others of his ilk, above my beloved dog simply because THEY'RE human.

NopeNopeNope !!!
So ... if a dog and a human were in danger you would save the dog first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events