Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 09:50 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,722,465 times

Advertisements

What a terrible story. As evil as this is, it provokes the public desire for revenge and the endemic prosecutorial tendency to overcharge.

I think murder is too high. First, these are all kids. They shouldn't have been doing it, but the science shows that their brains are not mature enough to make sound decisions. Second, they clearly had no intention of causing anyone serious harm. Should they have known the risks? Of course, but their mental immaturity is what prevented them from fully considering and imagining the worst possible outcomes of their actions.

Manslaughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 10:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,332,516 times
Horrific.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:53 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,240,478 times
Close-knit Clio grappling with aftershock of I-75 rock-throwing death | MLive.com

It appears from the article, about a half hour before the call came in about Mr White, a tire had been reportedly thrown from the overpass. Also, another report says a piston was thrown as well.

Other reports say 20 rocks and/or concrete where thrown by the boys. Four other cars were hit by rocks.

Not one article I've read has mentioned the parents of these boys giving their condolences to the family of Mr. White, or express their regrets for whatever part their son took in this stupid act.

Another article has more info about charges filed.

Teens denied bond in rock toss that killed man on I-75

Old 10-26-2017, 10:57 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,240,478 times
I just saw this thread pop up at the bottom of the CD page, says similar threads:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...o-drivers.html

Old 10-26-2017, 11:04 AM

16,375 posts, read 10,552,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Close-knit Clio grappling with aftershock of I-75 rock-throwing death | MLive.com

It appears from the article, about a half hour before the call came in about Mr White, a tire had been reportedly thrown from the overpass. Also, another report says a piston was thrown as well.

Other reports say 20 rocks and/or concrete where thrown by the boys. Four other cars were hit by rocks.

Not one article I've read has mentioned the parents of these boys giving their condolences to the family of Mr. White, or express their regrets for whatever part their son took in this stupid act.

Another article has more info about charges filed.

Teens denied bond in rock toss that killed man on I-75

I have been thinking the same thing about the parents. Usually by now one of them would have spoken up. I'm sure they are pretty shattered right now, regardless of the sentence their kids' lives have been changed forever. You can not find work with this sort of thing on your record.

Sorry if this was posted before but I know the one kid ended up turning himself in but how was he identified?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:10 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,938,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
First, I have to wonder how it is that you believe you can speak for 'a lot of people in this thread' but, beyond that, I would say those imaginary people are ridiculous. The example I gave of one stupid thing I did as a teen pales in comparison to idiotic things teen boys do everyday. If YOU believe that act deserves death or life imprisonment, I have to wonder what sort of sheltered life you have lived. Building a wall of ice as a kid does not even make the list of regrets from my past. It was a stupid, potentially dangerous prank. Hardly in league with dropping rocks off an overpass onto traffic but nonetheless dumb. Still, my point was, and is, bad parenting is not to blame for every bad deed a child performs. Poor judgment, insight, peer pressure are just a few of the things that lead to teens reckless behavior.
You thoroughly missed my point.

As a teenager you did a stupid prank that could have had serious consequences for another person.

Does this mean that your life is useless and you should have been put away for the rest of your life because of the threat you pose to society (like people are suggesting should happen to this teenagers)?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:20 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,069,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell confirmed to CNN that based on their investigation, officials believe Kyle Anger, 17, threw the rock that killed White, but all five boys are being charged with the same counts. The maximum penalty is life in prison.
Kyle Anger and Alexzander Miller, 15; Mark Sekelsky, 16; Mikadyn Payne, 16; and Trevor Gray, 15, were arraigned Tuesday and pleaded not guilty, according to Gray's attorney, Erwin Meiers.

The five teenagers are being charged as adults, with one count of second-degree murder each. They are also being charged with conspiracy to commit murder, six felony counts each of malicious destruction of property and two other lesser charges.
"Although the charges are all the same, the kids are all different," Mark Sekelsky's lawyer, Frank Manley, told CNN affiliate WNEM. "The actions that kids may have become involved in are all different. So even though the charges were all read exactly the same, my anticipation is that there will be a distinction once the evidence comes forward."
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for the teens on November 2.
Or not and they’ll all be charged as accomplices.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:19 PM

6,499 posts, read 9,890,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
You thoroughly missed my point.

As a teenager you did a stupid prank that could have had serious consequences for another person.

Does this mean that your life is useless and you should have been put away for the rest of your life because of the threat you pose to society (like people are suggesting should happen to this teenagers)?
You act like anyone suggesting a teen be locked away is a crime in itself lol

Look at the manson family. some of them were teens and locked away forever.

Sure their crimes were way worse but locking away teens is not unheard of.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:35 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,938,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
You act like anyone suggesting a teen be locked away is a crime in itself lol
LOL
Which of my posts have you misconstrued as my saying that locking a teen away is a crime in itself?

Old 10-26-2017, 12:38 PM

6,499 posts, read 9,890,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
LOL
Which of my posts have you misconstrued as my saying that locking a teen away is a crime in itself?
The one I quoted, sorry I didn't construe it differently but that's my take on what you wrote lol

just read that those teens have been throwing shopping carts and other stuff as well.

Teens arrested in overpass death may have thrown other items - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events