Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:27 PM

2,076 posts, read 1,653,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ath/836890001/
Florida State has halted virtually all Greek life on campus and has banned alcohol at all student events due to a young man's tragic death during Parent Week. Thoughts?
I went to FSU for graduate school. It's very tragic. My prayers are for the family and friends of the student.
Unfortunately, the youth culture at FSU does revolve heavily on the nightlife. Tallahassee is pretty much a college town, and the social focus is on ages 18-22. There is a lot of partying on weekends.

As an FSU graduate, the irony of these media portrayals is that it casts the university as an "easy party school". It is not. Many of the classes are rigorous and require a lot of study hours. Biochemistry II at FSU starts to match the difficulty of an actual course in medical school. The upper-division courses in computer science are absurd in rigor - discrete math II, digital logic and design, data structures and algorithms parts 1 and 2, computer languages, assembly language, etc. If you want to know what a binary search tree is and how it makes a SQL Server faster than MySQL for indexing, just ask an FSU computer science senior major.

But the media makes it seem like it is just a big party school with no studying. FSU is hard, and students like that who party too much on weekends are often blowing off steam from the rigor of studies.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:16 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,873,250 times
The death was at a house off campus. How does the school have anything to do with it? How do they think their action will control such things?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:29 AM

15,489 posts, read 9,171,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The death was at a house off campus. How does the school have anything to do with it? How do they think their action will control such things?
The University's action just demonstrated how they control such things. The University has the power to shut down the fraternities. If they shut them down, the problem is gone. Even though they didn't really shut them down, they just suspended them. They are sending them a warning that the University doesn't want anymore bad publicity, like this.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:38 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,528,533 times
Is that the schol Ted Bundy killed a number of soriety sisters?

Old 11-07-2017, 07:06 AM

35,163 posts, read 31,461,326 times
I never understood Greek life at all, outside of networking opportunities.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 AM

17,451 posts, read 22,211,561 times
Any school that has a bigger party school rating than academic rating needs to reconsider what they are doing. Same goes for the sports ranking......best college football team.....woohoo great but 74th in academics tells me they have the priorities wrong.

I have a neighbor that allowed his kid to go to Ole' Miss. It was far away, out of state tuition etc. So I asked if it was a heritage deal (like if he went there, his father etc.). He replied no, kid wanted to go there because it was a SEC school! WTF?!?!?! Kid didn't even play sports!

Needless to say, kid flunked out and returned to attend an in-state school. What concerned me was Mississippi isn't exactly the epicenter of higher education so why would you want to pay to go to college there!

Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,499,897 times
I don't have a problem with Greek Life. I know people that really enjoyed it. It isn't for everyone, but that's life...

I also don't blame FSU doing what they did.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:35 AM

102,261 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ath/836890001/
Florida State has halted virtually all Greek life on campus and has banned alcohol at all student events due to a young man's tragic death during Parent Week. Thoughts?
It's about time!

Old 11-07-2017, 10:37 AM

102,261 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
How many college students are over 21? Generally only part of the senior class so maybe 20%? So alcohol should be banned at student events since it would encouraging underage drinking. As for frats, my college had a strong frat scene and not a weekend went by without a bunch of fights and rapes/sexual assaults at frat parties. It's one thing when stuff happens at off campus parties but most frats are part of the campus and officially recognized by the university so supporting a system like that is bad business for schools.
Exactly. Given the gravity of the crimes that get committed, even if "only" occasionally, IMO it's better to be pro-active, than to shut down this or that frat chapter after the fact.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 AM

10,507 posts, read 7,082,289 times
It really depends on the campus and the culture. In some schools, Greek life is an enormous asset to the college experience. In other schools, Greek life has a corrosive effect. And in most schools, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Down the road from me is a large state university where the Greek life is pervasive and, quite frankly, unhealthy. I've seen daughters of friends go through sorority rush at that school, not get the sorority bid they wanted, and come home immediately because their social life in college was considered essentially ruined. That's how much the tail wags the dog down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events