Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:27 PM

28,148 posts, read 30,089,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints ( LDS) broke away from traditional Mormons and abolished polygamy to gain statehood.

Those traditional Mormons who practiced polygamy scattered to rural areas and Mexico. Mitt Romney's great-grandfather had 5 wives and fled to a Mormon colony in Mexico. Obviously, there remains some who prefer to live in polygamy.
That's funny. The "traditional" (I suppose that means "real") group is .0625% the size of the "offshoot" group, always on the run from the law, and answers to a man who's serving a prison term for rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 08:35 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,039,710 times
I find it to be a problem when your lifestyle is planned around welfare. I understand that some people might be lifelong takers or have a couple extra kids but it's not even close to the degree of premeditation and organization here.
The loophole needs to be closed for people who within a group all intentionally choose to have a dozen kids and not work. How it isn't conspiracy to commit fraud idk since the welfare is part of the equation from the start.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:47 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,882,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
The worst thing that the ultraorthodox communities have done is drastically cut funding for public education (which they don't use) while legally directing public money toward special ed, busing, and other legal funding for their private ultra-orthodox schools. They're working within the law. They are mostly legally on Sec 8, food stamps, cash benefits. They don't abuse the system more than other groups do - in fact, possibly less. But they certainly have been caught abusing the public welfare system.

Their secession to form their own township is probably a great relief to their neighbors from whom they receded, since the ultra-orthodox vote in a block, as directed by their religious leaders. I feel very sorry for anyone secular who was zoned into the new ultra-orthodox town. But they'll probably quickly be able to sell to their neighbors' ever-expanding population, and move.

Exactly.

Their neighbors are relieved. This has nothing to do with KJ being a "no-go" zone, and everything to do with not having the Hasidics vote as a bloc with respect to issues that their neighbors felt impacted them negatively.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:15 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,041,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Yes.... they can be denied.....

If you enter "their" town there is a sign about the rules POSTED. I'm not kidding.... and this was before they became their own town. Expect to follow their rules if for some odd reason you go there...

I drove school bus in NY and I HATED summer runs that involved the Hasidics.... they treat outsiders like crap, expect you to put on their style dress if your a woman if you're driving and the boys are the WORST.....

Ugh
Imagine voting yourself INTO a ghetto...
For generations after generations, many Jews have been trying to get out

Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There are sects of fundamentalist Mormons who practice polygamy. The LDS Church does not practice polygamy only because the state of Utah was forced to ban polygamy to become a state.
Didn't you see "Big Love"?

Old 11-15-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
The poorest town in the US. Nearly half of all households report income of $15,000 or less. Nearly everyone is on some form of public assistance.

Most do not finish high school.

Women do not use BC. It also has the highest fertility rate and household size in the US.

Women stay home after childbirth.

Many of the men choose not to work and instead spend their time in Torah and Talmud religious studies.

Town votes as a block and in doing so gets more than its fair share of state and federal grants.

They were able to build a 60-bed postnatal maternal care wing where women recover from childbirth for 2 weeks. Medicaid does not pay for this. Instead, wealthy people from this sect who live in Brooklyn cover the tab. The wealthy also write no interest mortgages for the town's residents.

Israel has the same challenges with this and other ultra-Orthodox groups.
You left out the part about how many of these people because of the closed social circle intermarry into same family lines--like second cousins--which creates issues with DNA derived diseases/conditions for infants...
Many of them born severely mentally/physically handicapped requiring life long medical intervention
The parents often claim no income (because no one works) but forget to mention their trust fund or "gifts" from their parents/grandparents that allow them to own/drive BMW SUVs and sustain themselves w/o jobs...
It is welfare fraud in a big way...
Believe me-
I was a case worker for the TX Dept of Health and Human Services in the 90s in Arlington TX--between Dallas and FTW...large colony of South Vietnamese were relocated there after Vietnam War---
Many became very successful, others not so much--
Lot of welfare fraud because 1) so many people pretended not to speak English and would bring a friend/family to interpret---nothing truthful was spoken, 2) they used the AFDC/FS to support their clans/families and shared resources--against the law
I had the entire Alpha for anyone named Nguyen --and anyone who knows Vietnamese know that is like Smith or Jones or Williams---tons of them...

Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 AM

11,335 posts, read 18,969,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Watch the Netflix doc - they have their own "Sharia" and courts and it is enforceable.

Islamaphobes are worrying about stuff that never happened while other stuff was right before their eyes. But - oh - you can't dislike Israel, so the preacher says....right?

(Actually, many of these people want nothing to do with Israel).

Yes, Hasid blood and DNA runs thick in my veins. Never knew it until about 2 months ago...but thanks to the miracle of DNA, we are finding out some interesting stuff. Next thing you know, they'll be exalting me.
I'm (relatively secular) Jewish and completely agree with you on this one. It's mostly one group that wants nothing to do with Israel, the Satmars (even though many do live there), the idea being that an Israel that is not a complete theocracy a la Iran (at least in theory) is an abomination.

It's amazing what DNA tests show in terms of "secret" human interconnectedness. Even much broader examples than less religious Jews being related to Hasidim. One fun one is when someone in the KKK, neo-Nazi, etc. takes a DNA test and finds out they have small "drops" of Native American, African American, Hispanic or Jewish blood. Another one is African-Americans finding small amounts of European DNA (usually the slave master raped and impregnated the slave, etc.), but again happens more than you think.

An interesting one for Jewish people that sometimes comes up is small, distant Hispanic DNA. While somewhat expected with Sephardim (many might have relatives hundreds of years ago who pretended to be Christians and went to the New World and populated Latin America along with Christian Spaniards, both mixing with the natives and the slaves, etc.), a small but surprising amount of Ashkenazim find this in DNA tests (usually it's due to a distant Sephardic ancestor perhaps 300-500 years ago who for whatever reason wandered into Eastern Europe and blended into the existing Ashkenazic population who also had relatives in the New World). This was part of an episode of the show "Who do You Think You are?" where it was shown that author/celebrity attorney Alan Dershowitz and Mexican-American actress Jessica Alba shared a common ancestor.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,382,196 times
Quote:
The poorest town in the US. Nearly half of all households report income of $15,000 or less. Nearly everyone is on some form of public assistance.

Most do not finish high school.

Women do not use BC. It also has the highest fertility rate and household size in the US.

Women stay home after childbirth.

Many of the men choose not to work and instead spend their time in Torah and Talmud religious studies.

Town votes as a block and in doing so gets more than its fair share of state and federal grants.

They were able to build a 60-bed postnatal maternal care wing where women recover from childbirth for 2 weeks. Medicaid does not pay for this. Instead, wealthy people from this sect who live in Brooklyn cover the tab. The wealthy also write no interest mortgages for the town's residents.

Israel has the same challenges with this and other ultra-Orthodox groups.

And people often don't dare to criticize it for fear of being called an anti-Semite. I'll criticize them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
All the mormons I have met were hard workers. It's part of their religious ethics.
Once again you are completely ignoring my use of the word "fundamentalist." Despite NOT being Mormon, I do know the difference between mainstream LDS Mormons and fundamentalist Mormon sects that still practice polygamy.

I work with some mainstream LDS Mormons. I don't have any issues with them. They're all men and they all have only one wife apiece (that we know of).

Old 11-16-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Imagine voting yourself INTO a ghetto...
For generations after generations, many Jews have been trying to get out
It's not really a typical ghetto. It's not run down, little to no crime, etc. The average person driving through there would never suspect that everyone is poop (on paper) there.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Exactly.

Their neighbors are relieved. This has nothing to do with KJ being a "no-go" zone, and everything to do with not having the Hasidics vote as a bloc with respect to issues that their neighbors felt impacted them negatively.
The neighbors aren't relieved. Property values are going to tank, Orange County municipal bonds are going to tank. Monroe should have let them annex the 164 acres. United Monroe convinced voters to vote against their best interests by playing to their unfavorable opinion of KJ. But what they really did is kick the can down the road. Just bc KJ isn't part of Monroe, it's still part of Orange County and like I said, anyone who is intelligent is not pleased.
I just spoke to a realtor and they are predicting that not only will Monroe property values tank, so will neighbor areas like Chester, blooming grove, Harriman, Southfields, tuxedo. The satmar already has expressed interest in buying up there.
Now that they are their own town, they have access to county funds instead of only Monroe funds. It's a disaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events