Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,847,255 times

Advertisements

From the article:
Quote:
Instead, the family was told to return for ‘pet day,’ or the special needs event.
I have a severe cat allergy and am disabled. I feel for both the girl and Santa, and feel the mother is a trouble maker.

1) The dog allergy Santa was accomodated in that he wasn't working 'pet day'.
2) The girl with the service animal receives accomodations -- such as bringing her working dog to the mall, where pets are not allowed.
3) The Mall offered 2 special days: pet day and a special needs event for those patrons who either want photos with their pets or whose family members have certain accomodations which need to be met.
4) The mother chose not to see her daughter as someone with special needs, even though she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 08:20 AM

32,792 posts, read 48,606,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
When the dog alerts to a seizure, what happens? What does the girl do? What does the mom do? What does the girl do if mom, or no one else, is around? Can the dog alert to an upcoming seizure, like an early warning system?

I ask, because I have no experience with epilepsy or seizure detecting dogs.
Yes the dog alerts before the seizure starts. The epileptic person then lies down so they won't fall and uses a mouth guard so they don't bite their tongue. The dog can not prevent the seizure and most likely doesn't do anything during the seizure except to lie down and wait. There is nothing that anyone can do about the seizure but wait it out.

Incidentily, the dog does not "see" the seizure and doesn't have to be within 2 feet of their person. Dogs have less good eyesight than humans, so if the dog was seeing the seuzure, Mom could do a better job of seeing it.

No one really knows how the dog predicts seizures but the dog is either hearing electrical changes or smelling chemical changes. Dog hearing and sense of smell is many times better than a human's and a medical alert dog will give the alarm even from across the room. Many of them will even give an alert if a bystander is about to have the same (or even a different) medical crisis, even when they don't know the person.

Which is why I have no synpathy for this woman. Every Santa at every mall is set up so everyone anywhere around can easily see Santa. He's not putting kids on his lap where he has complete privacy. This dog could have stood outside the fence and still alerted if the child was going to have a seizure.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:05 AM

4,748 posts, read 2,368,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The 10-year-old wasn't allowed to have Romeo, her service dog, in the pic due to Santa's allergy. Mom was told to return with her daughter for a "Pet" day. She immediately took to Facebook to recount her "horrible" experience.

Have we all gone mad? This child couldn't be without the dog for 2 minutes? All the mother had to do was step aside with the dog, and wait while her kid, in full view of her, sat with Santa, and then had her picture taken. Then she could have snapped her own cell phone pic of her daughter and Romeo to memorialize the event.

Yeesh.

Mall Santa Sends Away Girl With Service Dog « CBS Boston
There is little point in being privileged if one is not going to consistently be TREATED as privileged. That should be obvious.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:27 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,670,604 times
Parent(s), please don't inflict your poor choices and effects of "buyer's remorse" on the rest of society. Play the cards you have with a quiet acceptance of responsibility.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:48 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,953,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Parent(s), please don't inflict your poor choices and effects of "buyer's remorse" on the rest of society. Play the cards you have with a quiet acceptance of responsibility.
Are you talking about having a child with disabilities as "buyers remorse"?

Either I am mistaking you are I have just read the post of Satan himself.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:51 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,953,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, the ADA disagrees with you. As quoted earlier, which you have carefully ignored:

Quote:
Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility.
Quote:
A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken. When there is a legitimate reason to ask that a service animal be removed, staff must offer the person with the disability the opportunity to obtain goods or services without the animal’s presence.

Note that BOTH apply here: the mother was asked to keep the dog away from the Santa but the daughter could go to him, AND they were offered the opportunity to obtain goods or services without the animal's presence.

I don't think you are reading correctly, sorry.

When ever a post comes up about disabled people and all the ugliness comes out, it gets my blood boiling. But then I have to remember this is how a lot of people are...they are just ugly about disabilities. They just feel able to say it online without repercussions.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:11 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,662,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't think you are reading correctly, sorry.

When ever a post comes up about disabled people and all the ugliness comes out, it gets my blood boiling. But then I have to remember this is how a lot of people are...they are just ugly about disabilities. They just feel able to say it online without repercussions.
The mother's statement "I don’t want to take her to Caring Santa. I want her to have a normal experience. She’s on a normal cheerleading team with normal children. We want to make sure she feels completely comfortable going wherever she wants at whatever time she wants.” is what is ugly.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:33 PM

730 posts, read 683,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I happen to be "so sick of people" and their stupid bias towards making accommodations for disabled. Unless you live, you don't get it.

Can the child be away from the dog for 2 minutes? It detects seizures. It doesn't pick up news papers or makes her happy...it detects seizures! And she was willing to get the photo without the dog, he just needed to see her. And they refused even that.

And they know they messed up and are making reparations.
The dog can also detect seizures from several feet away. (what Woodsmoke said)

Old 12-01-2017, 02:46 PM

730 posts, read 683,739 times
I do not like it when people bring dogs into grocery stores. They often put their dogs in the grocery cart to ride around. There you see an animal with it's anus pressed onto a surface where people put their food that goes into their refrigerators. Now I see that my local Walmart has a sign forbidding this. I hope this has become a general policy. Other grocery chains should do likewise. This I Can't Live for 10 Minutes Without My Dog thing has gone too far. I saw a guy looking at the cold cuts while down bellow his dog was licking the bacon. This is not right.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:51 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,602,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I do not like it when people bring dogs into grocery stores. They often put their dogs in the grocery cart to ride around. There you see an animal with it's anus pressed onto a surface where people put their food that goes into their refrigerators. Now I see that my local Walmart has a sign forbidding this. I hope this has become a general policy. Other grocery chains should do likewise. This I Can't Live for 10 Minutes Without My Dog thing has gone too far. I saw a guy looking at the cold cuts while down bellow his dog was licking the bacon. This is not right.
I agree with you. On more than one occasion I have seen people bring regular dogs of all sizes into the grocery store. Not service dogs, just regular dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events