Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:44 AM

25,859 posts, read 20,802,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I almost always agree with you, but really, by the time a kid is 10 they need to be able to figure out that Santa is a fantasy.

Otherwise, they're not thinking things through.

So back in the day I was assisting in a gifted and talented 4th grade class. Their assignment was to figure out how long it would take Santa Claus to visit every household in the world, spending 15 minutes at each home. The kids were capable of calculating this mathematically. It was years.

There were still some who, after calculating this, somehow were too dim to realize Santa wasn't visiting their home on Christmas Eve.

Holy cow. Grab the reins, kids. Look at your calculations and realize it's all a fun fantasy.
But not express their feelings about it, right?

Seriously, whose business is it if kids hold on to this fantasy as long as they are able?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 AM

7,479 posts, read 4,048,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I do not like it when people bring dogs into grocery stores. They often put their dogs in the grocery cart to ride around. There you see an animal with it's anus pressed onto a surface where people put their food that goes into their refrigerators. Now I see that my local Walmart has a sign forbidding this. I hope this has become a general policy. Other grocery chains should do likewise. This I Can't Live for 10 Minutes Without My Dog thing has gone too far. I saw a guy looking at the cold cuts while down bellow his dog was licking the bacon. This is not right.

I totally agree.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 AM

25,859 posts, read 20,802,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
So I was curious if they still did pet photos at this location. Well they do. This Sunday you can bring your pet to sit on this Santa's lap and take a picture. They only hire one Santa (Full disclosure a close family member worked for this picture company in High School taking the pictures) for each mall location. So they were too allergic for a service dog to sit and watch for seizures but they can work on pet photo day?
Very interesting.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:07 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,953,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
But not express their feelings about it, right?

Seriously, whose business is it if kids hold on to this fantasy as long as they are able?
Yeah I have no idea why this is even part of the post. Who cares if this child believes in Santa and for how long. Seriously It has nothing to do with the topic and it isn't even real life. Lots of kids believe in Santa and there is no cut off age when they are "too old". That depends on a bunch of factors.

And lots of kids play along with "Santa" for years longer to keep the fun of the traditions up (like photos, stocking, a gift from santa, etc). Santa is a fun tradition and a kid doesn't have to believe in him to enjoy it. And there is no right or wrong age for a child to stop believing. There are too many factors to list and all kids are different.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 PM

922 posts, read 802,391 times
I have to wonder why it is that folks with certain allergies and sensitivities to scents choose to work in the public sector. I worked with the administrative assistant to the president of a college that was allergic to perfumes, yet pretty much every employee had to do business with her, as well as vendors, etc. The campus was majority females that were expected to dress professionally, and most women I know don't feel fully dressed without perfume.

I used to see a doctor that had a sign stating there was a scent-sensitive individual so please don't wear perfume. With the volume of patients seen there, it is unlikely no one will be wearing a scent of one sort or another.

If the Santa was allergic to dogs, perhaps he should have sought employment where it was not necessary to be one on one with families that may own pets.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:12 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,953,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I have to wonder why it is that folks with certain allergies and sensitivities to scents choose to work in the public sector. I worked with the administrative assistant to the president of a college that was allergic to perfumes, yet pretty much every employee had to do business with her, as well as vendors, etc. The campus was majority females that were expected to dress professionally, and most women I know don't feel fully dressed without perfume.

I used to see a doctor that had a sign stating there was a scent-sensitive individual so please don't wear perfume. With the volume of patients seen there, it is unlikely no one will be wearing a scent of one sort or another.

If the Santa was allergic to dogs, perhaps he should have sought employment where it was not necessary to be one on one with families that may own pets.
Its a fair enough question. As a person with many allergies and sensitivities, I had to choose a profession with my allergies in mind. It even meant changing majors when I realized my previous one would put me around allergens too often.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:43 PM

6,542 posts, read 6,761,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post

I'm not sure how a person with allergies is supposed to avoid all contact with other humans. Work at home their entire lives?

I doubt Santa expected to be close to pets when he took this job. I've certainly never seen a dog with Santa at the mall, and it wouldn't have occurred to me until reading this thread.

I don't understand why anyone would have more sympathy for the rights of someone with one physical condition (the girl) vs another ("Santa"). I know, I know, that's the law per ADA but that doesn't make it right or compassionate.

Last edited by kayanne; 12-05-2017 at 04:07 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM

730 posts, read 683,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
The only dogs I have ever seen in a grocery store were service dogs. They were not sitting in grocery carts; they were walking next to their person on-lead or sitting/lying on the floor. They were not pressing their butts against surfaces where people put food. They were not sniffing or licking the bacon or any other food.

It's not the fault of well-trained service dog and their handlers if some selfish person brings his/her poorly trained pet into a grocery store against all regulations.

I don't think that any Walmart can legally prohibit service dogs from entering their stores as long as the service dogs are under control/behaving properly.

I've had my dog with me, on-lead in Home Depot and Lowe's; after first asking store personnel if it was alright (it was). Since my dog tends to be quite curious about all sorts of materials, I was constantly watching him and keeping his nose and mouth away from merchandise. We had no trouble. I don't do it often. Even if it was legal, I would not bring my dog into a grocery store if I could possibly avoid it; since my dog is extremely food-reactive and is an accomplished food thief; keeping him from sniffing and grabbing at food would be exhausting. I've brought him to offices and bookstores, and he's been fine (I still watch him closely). All dogs have different personalities and all of them benefit from training; service dogs are trained to higher standards than are pets.
I realize that. Its these 'therapy dogs' and their imitations. No real service dog has to be put into a grocery cart to ride around. You can easily see the real Service Dogs by their demeanor. So is your dog a certified service dog or a ' therapy' dog?

Walmart can disallow dogs to ride in carts where people put food that goes into their refridgerator. They would wish to avoid lawsuits from people sickened by laboratory proven pathogens native to dogs. And there are many. At Home Despot or Lowes there is not food for sale which is the difference since it does not affect public health. My objection to dogs riding in grocery store carts is for that reason.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 12-05-2017 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 04:42 PM

730 posts, read 683,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Yeah I have no idea why this is even part of the post. Who cares if this child believes in Santa and for how long. Seriously It has nothing to do with the topic and it isn't even real life. Lots of kids believe in Santa and there is no cut off age when they are "too old". That depends on a bunch of factors.

And lots of kids play along with "Santa" for years longer to keep the fun of the traditions up (like photos, stocking, a gift from santa, etc). Santa is a fun tradition and a kid doesn't have to believe in him to enjoy it. And there is no right or wrong age for a child to stop believing. There are too many factors to list and all kids are different.

When I was a little child I and my siblings were at my great aunt May's ranch in Texas on Christmas Eve. The adults started yelling Kids Kids! Theres Santa! We ran outside. There in the sky was a sleigh pulled by reindeer going across the sky. We all saw it. Until I was eleven years old I believed fervently in Santa. Other kids would call me a liar and would get into rolling on the ground fights for calling me a liar. Years later my mother told me that Uncle Connie and the hired man had rigged up a sleigh and reindeer on a pulley. They were on top of the barn pulling a cord.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 12-05-2017 at 05:14 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 04:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,168,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Its a fair enough question. As a person with many allergies and sensitivities, I had to choose a profession with my allergies in mind. It even meant changing majors when I realized my previous one would put me around allergens too often.
In a somewhat similar vein, (although not technically an allergy) years ago I was employed in a restaurant for several years and during that time became pregnant. Between about my second and up to the end of my fourth month of pregnancy I became hyper sensitive to smells however colognes were what really made me wretchedly sick. The only one to wear cologne in that setting was my boss who everytime he walked within maybe 10 feet of me I would gag and have to run to the bathroom. I didn't demand he stop wearing it, never having been pregnant before I was hoping it would be a quickly passing phase but then it stuck around long enough to be a problem. Luckily he was a very understanding and open hearted person who good heartedly said he wouldn't wear cologne to work for the next few months. If otoh he had had the attitude of "well your pregnancy isn't my problem and I have a right to wear cologne to work" I would have taken a leave of absence , or otherwise but I wouldn't have tried forcing him by threats of a lawsuit not to wear cologne. Note- I realize it wasn't an allergy per se, although maybe in a more broader definition it would be since I literally would become ill smelling his cologne, even if he walked by quickly a trace of the smell would send me running to the restroom.
I was very fortunate in that he was just a very understanding person that probably went even a little above what he was required to do, he would let me have a section of tables closest to me; he changed my hours to give me a shorter easier shift; put a chair in a area where I could sit down while on duty if I felt tired and then if I saw a customer come in would go over to them. It would be a better world if others were more gracious and understanding of a disability or condition without having to be forced to provide some accommodations.

Last edited by mondayafternoons; 12-05-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events