Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 01:36 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,615,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I realize that. Its these 'therapy dogs' and their imitations. No real service dog has to be put into a grocery cart to ride around. You can easily see the real Service Dogs by their demeanor. So is your dog a certified service dog or a ' therapy' dog?

Walmart can disallow dogs to ride in carts where people put food that goes into their refridgerator. They would wish to avoid lawsuits from people sickened by laboratory proven pathogens native to dogs. And there are many. At Home Despot or Lowes there is not food for sale which is the difference since it does not affect public health. My objection to dogs riding in grocery store carts is for that reason.
No, my dog is neither a certified service dog or a therapy dog. I personally consider him to be my 'emotional support dog'; but he has not been trained to it, and since I can go out without him, he probably doesn't fit the definition. He gives me emotional support and comfort, that's why I think of him as my 'emotional support dog'; it's just my personal feeling. I only take my dog into Home Depot or Lowes or to a professional office (not a doctor's office) if it is too warm outside to leave him in the car. My dog has bad separation anxiety; I cannot leave him alone at home for very long, hence my bringing him in the car frequently (or having a pet-sitter or dog walker; but the latter options are expensive, so when I can bring my dog into stores/offices during warm weather, I often do so. I grew up in a time and place where dogs could go lots of indoor places where they are no longer allowed (not including grocery stores, though) as long as they were housebroken and well-behaved and leashed, so it doesn't seem odd to me. My dog is friendly and gentle enough to be a therapy dog; but he is a bit too busy/curious about people's purses, and would flunk the CGC test (used as a qualifier for at least some therapy dog programs) because he can't sit quietly with a stranger for a few minutes with me out of the room (part of the test).
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 10:41 AM

6,923 posts, read 3,975,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I'm not sure how a person with allergies is supposed to avoid all contact with other humans. Work at home their entire lives?

I doubt Santa expected to be close to pets when he took this job. I've certainly never seen a dog with Santa at the mall, and it wouldn't have occurred to me until reading this thread.

I don't understand why anyone would have more sympathy for the rights of someone with one physical condition (the girl) vs another ("Santa"). I know, I know, that's the law per ADA but that doesn't make it right or compassionate.
It's a face-to-face customer service job. Any time you are working with the general public you should assume that you are going to come into contact with someone who uses a service animal at some point during your tenure.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 AM

6,923 posts, read 3,975,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I realize that. Its these 'therapy dogs' and their imitations. No real service dog has to be put into a grocery cart to ride around. You can easily see the real Service Dogs by their demeanor. So is your dog a certified service dog or a ' therapy' dog?
Therapy dogs are not owned by the person receiving the therapy. They are owned by a trainer/handler and are brought into the settings where they are going to be providing therapy services, such as schools, hospitals, or assisted living facilities.

What you are thinking of are ESA's, Emotional Support Animals. Please try to keep up with the terminology.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:55 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,162,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Therapy dogs are not owned by the person receiving the therapy. They are owned by a trainer/handler and are brought into the settings where they are going to be providing therapy services, such as schools, hospitals, or assisted living facilities.

What you are thinking of are ESA's, Emotional Support Animals. Please try to keep up with the terminology.
Agree with pretty much your general opinions,... on a side note I don't think it's constructive to get snarky about "trying to keep up"--- we as people are not perfect and there should not be an expectation of perfect knowledge in all things, ya know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events