Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,915,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They recieved the letter Monday, today is Wednesday.
But they fired him Tuesday night. They moved on it quite quickly. That feels serious to me. But he was being investigated by other reporters so they might just be getting out ahead of the story.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:30 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,159,592 times
this is why you dont mess around with co workers!!!! It comes back to bite you in the azz hard!!!

Old 11-29-2017, 08:41 AM

22,414 posts, read 29,543,565 times
Look not that this affects my life in anyway but I'm pretty sure they did a full investigation on this. He's been the face of the Today show for 20 years and has brought the ratings sky high. He must have done something pretty serious

Old 11-29-2017, 08:41 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,064,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
It's open season on men!
Sounds more like "open season" on sexually harassing/assaulting women is coming to an end.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,853,015 times
Say it's not so...the favorite news guy I never watched.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:46 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,503,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Looks like the War on Men is taking over.

Hey...I'm not saying that some of the allegations didn't happen, but now it appears hey..."me to" appears to be the in thing.
Well I suppose it’s the result of the long overdue retaliation for the historical war on women.

Eventually it will all even out.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:46 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,108,805 times
First allegation is out that he sexually assaulted a colleague at the 2014 Sochi winter Olympics. More allegations to come.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:58 AM

5,731 posts, read 4,331,878 times
Matt Lauer? Professional journalist? That's a funny one. I don't think any of the morning show hosts are worthy of being called that. They are barely even passable entertainers, and are completely laughable as "journalists".

Having said that, and having been the victim of false accusations of a non-sexual nature by a female supervisor that were never investigated and cost me dearly, some of these quick reactions are a bit troubling. Of course I don't know what information/evidence they have behind the scenes so swift firing may well be justified. I just worry that in todays social media world you don't need evidence anymore to ruin someone, all you need are accusations. It happened to me, and it didn't even involve news or social media. We can't just throw "innocent until proven guilty" out the window, but we seem to be heading that direction. OTOH anyone guilty of these kinds of accusations deserves to lose their job and reputation.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,105,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
No.

It most certainly does not.

The standard of 'innocent until proven guilty' is a legal one pertaining to the criminal justice system. By your logic, no one can ever be fired for anything short of a criminal conviction.

OK, so as far as man hating feminist mafia is concerned, all men are guilty until declared innocent by the mafia. Any transgression can get a man fired and ruin his career for life after one complaint with no ability to face his accusers. Sexual harassment can really mean anything. Maybe he called one of his assistants beautiful...

Quote:
Now, Matt Lauer is not just another employee. He has, or had, a personally-tailored contract with NBC. That contract is likely long. Very long. It undoubtedly has a substantial personal-conduct section which delineates the terms under which NBC can unilaterally terminate Lauer's employment. Matt Lauer signed this contact, thereby agreeing to its terms in whole.

NBC has a massive amount invested in Lauer, who is tied to the NBC brand. When they received this accusation, NBC - which, breaking news, has an HR department - launched an investigation, if for no other reason than to protect their brand. They ultimately had to decide whether keeping Lauer on or firing Lauer was more damaging to their brand. This will be a very costly move to NBC. They fact that they chose to undertake this very costly move clearly and obviously indicates that the results of their internal investigation found that the accusation was sufficiently credible that keeping Lauer on would have been even more costly to their brand.

If you're naive enough to think that NBC simply decided "Well, we've got a single accusation. Let's not investigate it. Just just fire Matt.", well, that's your problem.
And if you think that this detailed investigation by NBC apparently took less than a day then "well, that's your problem. " Did he have a chance to face his accusers, try to explain his actions? I doubt it. More likely NBC management were scared of the lawsuits and just let Matt go. Very stupid and cowardly decision over some unspecified allegations.

Quote:
What's really sad is how many people are so damn resistant to the idea that sexual harassment is widespread and pervasive, especially professions where one finds extreme power-dynamic differentials.
What's really sad is how many people are damn resistant to the idea that sexual harassment is a vague, ill defined offense wide open to interpretation and personal vendettas. Calling a woman "beautiful" once could be considered sexual harassment by some women.

Most sexual harassment is probably not admissible in criminal justice system so feminist mafia uses employer intimidation to go after men they don't like.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:10 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,098,850 times
I am going ahead and closing this thread. Those that wish to discuss can continue to do so in the Politics and Other Controversies forum here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...fired-nbc.html

This wave of news surrounding this topic hits on a lot of controversial discussion that is larger than any one current event. Therefore I am going to direct any future discussions of this nature over to P&OC.

Thanks y'all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events