Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well think about it. A straight high school student should know their course material well enough to teach any student in the lower grades, the same knowledge. Good students are able to tutor fellow students.
Right. Listen there are bad teachers, you won't get me to disagree with that but this is just oblivious. Tutors do basically what the teachers do now due to statewide if not nationwide curriculum standards. Plus the fact that tutoring isn't teaching. Tutoring is more or less getting by. I realize that a problem with education is teachers tutor rather than teach. It is virtually teach for tests (tutoring) rather than teaching to understand (teaching.) That said, that is on both state and national legislation as much as it is administration on the district level.

Also let me tell you some people do not get concepts. True story I was in a community college barely over remedial algebra class (due to bad placement testing) and I was an A student. The teacher i had for this and then brief calculus the next year liked pairing and grouping students to help each other with the answers. I could finish the 5 algebraic equations alone by the time I could do one with the group because I would get ask "Why do we subtract 2" when the equation is 2x+2=6.) You tutor let alone teach stupid.
Quote:
One of my high school classmates was an assistant professor at Cornell Medical. He told me that his main purpose at the school was actually to write grant proposals. And in regards to his teaching grad students, he said that he was only one week ahead of his students in what material he was teaching them

In English please? College is much different than K-12 so don't compare the two. Most times teachers plan a week to a month ahead. I know one who is so anal she has the lessons for the year and picks when to teach them. She's special education but you get the idea.

Quote:
So at a grade school level, especially for the lower grades, the teacher doesn't need a college or grad school degree in order to teach basic reading or math skills to the average students. And the course curriculum should be standardized and planned by the school administrators.
If you have read this post you already know I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think a bachelor's is in order, maybe or maybe not one in teaching, but it shouldn't be a hard requirement like it is currently. My neither stopped his path to being a teacher for 4th grade when NY state wanted him to learn calculus for his teaching degree. 4th graders would barely do two digit multiplication, long division and PEMDAS.

Quote:
Special ed students would need more specialized teachers though.
That they do and a stipend isnt the way to attract talent like many districts in AZ do for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 06:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well think about it. A straight high school student should know their course material well enough to teach any student in the lower grades, the same knowledge. Good students are able to tutor fellow students.
I was the straight A high school student who would have just rolled my eyes and said "it's just blatantly obvious that's how it works. How you cannot see it?" rather than being able to break it down into small steps for someone else to consume. My brain is just wired differently than most people and how I approach a problem or task is probably going to result in failure for someone who is not me.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I was the straight A high school student who would have just rolled my eyes and said "it's just blatantly obvious that's how it works. How you cannot see it?" rather than being able to break it down into small steps for someone else to consume. My brain is just wired differently than most people and how I approach a problem or task is probably going to result in failure for someone who is not me.
Exactly. Some straight A students just get it while other students struggle just to get a B in the same class. I had a great memory or deduction skills so treats we're pretty much memory or BS for me and I would often get 78 or higher by breathing. Many others would kill to get that 78 by studying non-stop. For me this was a curse because I would slack off because I knew how to game the system, score great on the tests.
As I mentioned in the post above your's, it is too true that a person would not get it even if the straight a student could describe it. For anyone that don't get it, think if anyone that disagrees with you right and left in city-dat a, but replace that with a student who isn't an A student, and you Dave the issue right there. Some don't get it and some don't want to get it.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:26 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
Every hour that a teacher is "on the stage" required at least two hours of preparation. Most schools have 7-8 hours of total contact time with 1-2 hours of planning or break. You do the math.

More if the teacher is a meticulous planner and/or generous with grading feedback.

That "stage" or "performance" time is what people with regular jobs don't understand or appreciate. The only people in the private sector who get it are those in positions where their work-days are taken up by meetings. Their actual work has to be done after-hours. People important enough to be in meetings all day in the private sector are usually paid 2-3x more than a typical teacher.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:39 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
What we need to do is understand that educating our children (the children of the human race) is one of the most important things we can do for our nation to thrive and pay MORE per child. I can think of plenty of places to get the money from without raising taxes.

If you spend time in a well managed class room, I think you would be very impressed by the teachers and sped teachers and paras. They are amazing.
True.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:09 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
I don’t understand the specifics of how things are done in W.V. but I’ve known for a long time that they have some pretty big financial obstacles to overcome. Having a coal based economy is very difficult in today’s environmentaly charged world.

I used to travel to WV in the early 70’s and poverty was a common thing there at that time. In fact, I knew a lady who worked in a school kitchen that told me nearly all of the kids received free breakfast and lunch at school. It was either that, or go hungry.

One things for sure, and that is that the money for the teacher raises has got to come from somewhere because there is no such thing as a surplus of funds in WV(or anyplace else I’m thinking). Robbing Peter to pay Paul always leads to financial ruin,and it’s a guarantee that some project that was funded just had the rug pulled out from under it.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:23 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
All the WV teachers asked for were CoL raises and not to have their pay CUT.

They haven't gotten raises in years and were promised to get them when the recession was over. It's been over for a while now. The 5% increase does something although does not catch up completely.

They also asked that their pay not be CUT because of health care. The state was trying to raise their health care cost and give a pittance raise of 1% on salary, which was a pay CUT. They've been dealing with no salary raise but increased premium and deductible costs for years.

The heart of the matter was health care. As I've said before on other threads: as a country, we must get health care under control or it will eat up ALL the money eventually.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Do you have kids? Dealing with children is a absolute beast of a job. Yes some are great-but there are many that...just arent. They're saints because they don't just kill the little monsters.
No one's forcing them into the job. Unless the old adage is true: "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

Old 03-10-2018, 03:03 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
According to the CNN video clip, one teacher claims that many of his fellow teachers need to work 2 jobs and/or take up benefits of WIC/food stamps that they're qualified for. Also, their pay is even lower than what's posted since some of that has gone towards paying their benefits. State is saying they don't have it in their budget to give them more than the 4 to 5% raise.
To this day, I find it hard to still think that being a teacher requires a degree. Regardless, I hope all parties can find a solution that works out for everyone.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-justice-union
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/05/us/we...ike/index.html
I have yet to see any actual figures of their salary. Show me the facts, not the propaganda.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:12 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have yet to see any actual figures of their salary. Show me the facts, not the propaganda.
Pretty much any district’s pay scale is available online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events