Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 03:24 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
My opinion is probably not going to be popular, but here goes.

WV ranks near the bottom in teacher pay, but also ranks near the bottom in cost of living. I'm also from Appalachia. From what I've been able to gather, average WV teacher pay is around $45,000. With that being an average, some will make more, and some will make less. A $45,000 salary is low in terms of national teacher averages, but given the local cost of living, it is probably not that far off the mark.

I used to work in computer support in a county that was about 15-20 miles from WV's poorest county, McDowell. We only earned about $15/hr. A team lead over a ten or so computer support techs for the two federal government contractor offices in that county might, just might, make $45,000. Like the teachers, virtually everyone there had a degree. Most of us would have been really happy to have that $45,000 average salary.

In poverty stricken, rural areas, like much of WV is, teaching is one of the few reliable pathways to a middle class wage, other than healthcare, adjusted for the local cost of living. If these people weren't teaching, they probably couldn't live there! If the local economy is terrible, wages for private sector employees will go as low as the market will bear. That's why you have computer techs and accountants down to $10/hr.

I graduated with degrees in economics and finance from a state university in northeast TN in 2010, had an internship in my field, and had other jobs before graduating. It took me four years after college to get to $45,000, and I had to move to the Midwest to get that.

They seem to be compensated fairly given where they live.
Without commenting directly on WVA teacher pay, it needs to be noted that the only lower cost of living in those areas, including where you were, is probably housing. Vehicles cost as much, gas does too. Heating costs may be higher as well as, possibly, property taxes (although WVA has fairly low ones generally). I've found food is generally more expensive.

Everyone, pretty much, is hurting in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 03:27 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
Could some please give 3-5 points each on the pros/cons of such a strike, other than it being illegal in WV (that's what I read in some article)?

Old 03-07-2018, 03:38 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol fire them and hire new teachers from where? How many high school teachers do you think will quit their jobs in another state and move to West Virginia to make $40,000 a year?
I would hope that a few would be graduating in a few months? Sub-teach or parents can home-school until then. Plenty of unemployed people with college degrees in fields other than education can also be grandfathered in.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:09 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
My opinion is probably not going to be popular, but here goes.
WV ranks near the bottom in teacher pay, but also ranks near the bottom in cost of living. I'm also from Appalachia. From what I've been able to gather, average WV teacher pay is around $45,000. With that being an average, some will make more, and some will make less. A $45,000 salary is low in terms of national teacher averages, but given the local cost of living, it is probably not that far off the mark.
I used to work in computer support in a county that was about 15-20 miles from WV's poorest county, McDowell. We only earned about $15/hr. A team lead over a ten or so computer support techs for the two federal government contractor offices in that county might, just might, make $45,000. Like the teachers, virtually everyone there had a degree. Most of us would have been really happy to have that $45,000 average salary.
In poverty stricken, rural areas, like much of WV is, teaching is one of the few reliable pathways to a middle class wage, other than healthcare, adjusted for the local cost of living. If these people weren't teaching, they probably couldn't live there! If the local economy is terrible, wages for private sector employees will go as low as the market will bear. That's why you have computer techs and accountants down to $10/hr.
I graduated with degrees in economics and finance from a state university in northeast TN in 2010, had an internship in my field, and had other jobs before graduating. It took me four years after college to get to $45,000, and I had to move to the Midwest to get that.
They seem to be compensated fairly given where they live.
I'm not sure why it took you four years after graduation to get a job paying $45,000 but that is not typical for someone with a dual major in economics and finance. But the issue in West Virginia doesn't only seem to be about wages, it's also about the cost of healthcare which just increased by $300 a month

"Summers, who has a master's degree and other education credits, normally qualifies for raises of about $600 to $700 a year, he said. But he's now looking at his insurance increasing by about $300 — per month. "While having a $700 increase sounds lovely, that would only cover about a month and a half of my PEIA insurance, and we're still talking about wages that I'm bringing in, with student debt, and a master's degree, below $45,000 year," Summers said. Summers has already taken a second job as an education coordinator for the county. Including his wife's wages, the couple qualifies for government assistance programs including the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) food program."
https://outline.com/7tBuv2

Old 03-07-2018, 08:45 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why it took you four years after graduation to get a job paying $45,000 but that is not typical for someone with a dual major in economics and finance. But the issue in West Virginia doesn't only seem to be about wages, it's also about the cost of healthcare which just increased by $300 a month

"Summers, who has a master's degree and other education credits, normally qualifies for raises of about $600 to $700 a year, he said. But he's now looking at his insurance increasing by about $300 — per month. "While having a $700 increase sounds lovely, that would only cover about a month and a half of my PEIA insurance, and we're still talking about wages that I'm bringing in, with student debt, and a master's degree, below $45,000 year," Summers said. Summers has already taken a second job as an education coordinator for the county. Including his wife's wages, the couple qualifies for government assistance programs including the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) food program."
I graduated in 2010 in northeast TN. We are a small metro area, generally lag a year or two behind national trends, and have always been poor. Obviously not everyone was in this boat, but many people in that cohort never really recovered.

I make in the low $60k range. That is top 20%ish HHI here. I'm probably top 15%, maybe a little better, for single income earners. If I found a partner at my income range, we'd be top 5% on $120k HHI.

I get their complaint about premium increases. It sucks, but everyone is basically in that boat. I'm not saying their situation doesn't suck, but they are far better off than many of their fellow residents.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Exactly. And at the age of 59, I am telling YOU that I am tired of my tax dollars being taken to teach YOUR children at no benefit to me. Enough is enough.

And if you want more for your kids, then help our country get rid of illegal aliens, DACAs, and report anyone stealing government handouts. Report those collecting disability for their fake bad backs.
You sound like the old coots who live by me that laugh that they don't have to pay their fair share to schools and do little to help Arizona get the best workforce. Fact, WV is 48 out of 50 states on teacher pay while AZ is 50th. I can settle that one state has to be the bottom, but the fact is no state should want to settle for that, nor try to lower the bottom. I have the belief that Arizona would seek to be the 51st state because of people like you who don't want to pay their fair share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I do understand how the OP thinks. I went to college for teaching and then quit due to how many were going for teaching and entered the medical field.

Right now in NY State the average salary is $64,000 with some making as much as $110,000. Starting pay is approx. $45,000. NY spends approx. $20,000 on each student and yet we only rank 26 on the national school rating - why - per-student spending on salaries and benefits in New York state was $14,769 — an eye-popping 114 percent higher than the national average.

Our school taxes are almost as high as our state taxes and they are closing schools all the time due to the lack of students. If you are a teacher in NY state - you have it made with life time healthcare that includes cosmetic surgery. If you are a tax payer - you're taking it in the shorts - that's why many are moving out of the state.

The money we pay per student is not giving them the education they deserve because we rank in the middle of the pack.

I also agree that there does need to be more parent involvement and less babysitting by the teachers - that is where I sympathize with the teachers - but you don't have to have a teaching degree to be a substitute in many districts and they utilize those with sometimes no background in the subject.
NY has issues and it isn't just educator pay and benefits. There is a LOT of taxes there and other east coast states and a few others like Illinois and California. That said, that 64K average may only keep you afloat in NY due to higher costs of living downstate. Upstate would be lower but it would also be adjusted too. Compare this to AZ or WV teachers and they are drastically underpaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I read a WV teacher's account of how they get paid there. Basically, due to rising costs for their benefits that come out of their paychecks, their take home pay has basically been declining over the years. Then they have to pay for their classroom supplies out of pocket.

KY government trying to make cuts in teacher pensions. That teacher in LA I think it was got arrested for asking about their pay during a meeting and the article mentioned their pay has been cut as well over the years. That's at least three states that have been gutting education pay in some way.
The same is going on in Arizona and the lawmakers claim "they don't have it in the budget" to increase wages beyond a percent, yet the governor will increase staff wages by as much as 20%...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Fire them. Hire new teachers. What's to keep them from going on strike for 10% since this worked? It's just blackmail and extortion.
Here's the thing though, it don't work like that. Arizona has a lot of subs and long-term subs as well as over-crowded classrooms due to a lack of teachers. The average educator in AZ gets paid 47K with starting pay being around 35K. You fire all that walk, how will you replace them? In fact, AZ actually has shortages in nearly every subject as is already before we fire teachers just to replace them should AZ teachers walk out the way WV teachers did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would hope that a few would be graduating in a few months? Sub-teach or parents can home-school until then. Plenty of unemployed people with college degrees in fields other than education can also be grandfathered in.
I went to a university known for being a teacher's college, it was actually the school's center for years. Many students had jobs in California lined-up after graduation actually rather than stay in state. I would have been a teacher myself, but it actually requires a teaching certificate and in classroom experience and in some cases a masters. Only CTE jobs actually can bypass that with specific work experience of about 200 work hours.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:04 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
I was asked to teach a Sat. a.m. to what are ALREADY highly motivated, single language foreign students. Then I needed a nap for two hours.

Administrator scew the teaching stats big time. Admins. can make HUGE money and do no teaching. So these stats are like medical admin. combined with hospital personnel. It serves politics, but not the kids.

We've been talking about this by the way sincde the fifities. The 1850's.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:14 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:

Plus that $45k is average gross, not take home pay. Their take home pay has been going down every year for a while now. Then, they have to buy the supplies for the classroom out of shrinking take home pay.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:47 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
The only thing that ever comes out of topics like this is people using it as an opportunity to joke about and bash teachers...

Old 03-08-2018, 02:14 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Without commenting directly on WVA teacher pay, it needs to be noted that the only lower cost of living in those areas, including where you were, is probably housing. Vehicles cost as much, gas does too. Heating costs may be higher as well as, possibly, property taxes (although WVA has fairly low ones generally). I've found food is generally more expensive.

Everyone, pretty much, is hurting in those areas.
I absolutely agree. I moved back to small town Tennessee from suburban Indianapolis about a year and a half ago. There are a lot of things that are the same or even more expensive here. With that said, a $40,000 annual salary, while not great, is still well above the median in many of these communities. It's not poverty wages, and the vast majority of folks are not sniffing 5% annual raises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events