Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 AM

17,411 posts, read 12,024,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Oh, if that's correct, it's awful. Who wants to have another passenger's barking or panting dog under their seat. Ugh!!

It's time to keep all animals off planes. Not fair to the rest of the passengers to have animals on board.
Well, that's not up to you, now is it?

I've flown plenty of times. Virtually every time I've flown, when I pull my dog out from under the seat in front of me, the person sitting next to me expresses surprise that there's a dog in the carrier.

One time, we had a good laugh about it. My seat mate wondered why I kept putting small pieces of my sandwich in the carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,624,315 times
I wish a place like https://petairways.com/ had not gone out of business so quickly.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:50 AM

17,411 posts, read 12,024,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
With the amount of people flying with pets today perhaps the airlines can make a small temperature controlled area in cargo and all pets go in cargo, with the exception of TRUE service dogs, not emotional support but true service dogs, and there is a huge difference between the two.

You can always have vet give mild tranquilizer to give to pet before flying.

I know many will not agree but there has to be a happy medium, I'm sure there are other passengers with allergies and myriads of other reasons they do not want to be in close proximity to an animal.

I drive with cat but do realize many do not have this option.
Nope, nope and nope. If I can't trust an airline to get my dog to the correct destination, how can I possibly trust them to care for my dog out of my sight? They already have temp controlled cargo areas, and dogs die or get loose all the time.

Have you ever noticed a pet on a flight? You're not anywhere close to being "in close proximity" to an animal.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:06 AM

6,955 posts, read 3,994,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
United accidently flies dog bound for Kansas to Japan... lmao! hope the dog had the required Japanese visa

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/un...-up/index.html

I saw that on the news last night. And that dog is supposed to be on some sort of meds.

I turned to my cat and said to her, I promise you here and now that you will never have to get on a plane.

I don't care, the risks are just too great.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 AM

6,955 posts, read 3,994,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
United accidently flies dog bound for Kansas to Japan... lmao! hope the dog had the required Japanese visa

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/un...-up/index.html
I think it was my last ex who referred to that airline as "United Scare."

Old 03-15-2018, 09:23 AM

19,814 posts, read 12,363,675 times
Since the woman can't speak English well enough such that her young daughter has to speak for her maybe there was some kind of miscommunication with the FA. If she was yelling about the dog in Spanish the FA may have just ignored her and told her to move that bag out of the aisle not knowing it was a dog.

There are too many conflicting reports right now to know how much involvement the FA actually had with the bag. If she just passed by quickly as they often do, just looking at the end of the bag sticking out maybe she really did not know and did not understand the woman's objections.

I can't wrap my brain around the FA doing this intentionally, there's got to be some confusion involved. I wish some other passenger had talked to the FA about it when the dog was barking in there, then it would be confirmed that she knew a dog was in the bin.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:37 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,817,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Nope, nope and nope. If I can't trust an airline to get my dog to the correct destination, how can I possibly trust them to care for my dog out of my sight? They already have temp controlled cargo areas, and dogs die or get loose all the time.

Have you ever noticed a pet on a flight? You're not anywhere close to being "in close proximity" to an animall.
Too many times to count, yipping,yapping and barking too, these same pet owners are more than likely ones who complain about crying kids

If you are in the aisle seat and a passenger is in the middle that is close enough for people that have allergies.

Hey I'm a pet owner but my pet doesn't trump the comfort of other passengers. And don't even get me started on the "fake" emotional support animals that people use to NOT have to pay pet ticket price.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:39 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,936,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
When I moved from California to North Carolina, I did not have my car with me. I shipped all of my belongs, and flew with my dog. I was not going to rent a car and drive 40 hours when I could get there in a fraction of the time by plane. This was also back when gas was almost $5/gal in some locations, so the $200 it cost to fly myself and my dog cross country was much cheaper then renting a car and driving for days.
You talk about your convenience and cost. My brother drove from San Diego to NY to move because flying is not healthy for dogs. He didn't care about convenience or cost as much as the comfort & well-being of his pet, even if it took a couple days.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 AM

1,201 posts, read 810,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I wish a place like https://petairways.com/ had not gone out of business so quickly.
Pet specific airlines don't really make financial sense. A more feasible plan would be to create a dedicated, enclosed space in the cargo hold with crate shelves to accommodate several pet crates of different sizes, that is pressurized, climate controlled, with video monitoring. This would not need to be a large space and should not be cost prohibitive to do.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:45 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,817,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post

I saw that on the news last night. And that dog is supposed to be on some sort of meds.

I turned to my cat and said to her, I promise you here and now that you will never have to get on a plane.

I don't care, the risks are just too great.
Me as well, if kitty is coming along we drive and if long pre book pet friendly hotel, La Quintas are great.

I'm not saying that this is the case in this instance but I find many, not all, people who fly with their pet have some entitlement attitude as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events