Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 09:45 AM

13,078 posts, read 7,541,093 times

Advertisements

The benefit of all this;
United will lose customers who want to fly with their pets.
United's competitors will get United's lost customers.
Competitors will now get to deal with customers who bring pets.
United will enhance their loyal customers who now see United as a No Pet airline and get customers who fled from competitor's policy of being Pet Friendly

This is a win for United.
Smart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 09:48 AM

13,409 posts, read 28,749,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Pet specific airlines don't really make financial sense. A more feasible plan would be to create a dedicated, enclosed space in the cargo hold with crate shelves to accommodate several pet crates of different sizes, that is pressurized, climate controlled, with video monitoring. This would not need to be a large space and should not be cost prohibitive to do.
I agree 100% as I don't think pets, with the exception of a TRUE certified service dog belong in the cabin.
I am a pet owner as well

Old 03-15-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
The benefit of all this;
United will lose customers who want to fly with their pets.
United's competitors will get United's lost customers.
Competitors will now get to deal with customers who bring pets.
United will enhance their loyal customers who now see United as a No Pet airline and get customers who fled from competitor's policy of being Pet Friendly

This is a win for United.
Smart
LOL good way to look at it

Old 03-15-2018, 09:50 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,536,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
You talk about your convenience and cost. My brother drove from San Diego to NY to move because flying is not healthy for dogs. He didn't care about convenience or cost as much as the comfort & well-being of his pet, even if it took a couple days.
There's also a safety factor to consider. For a lot of people, extended periods of driving alone is very unsafe. I can't do more than 4-5 or so hours alone without getting VERY sleepy. At that rate, such a trip would take 8-10 days.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:51 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It sounds like the puppy was put in the correct spot at one point (under the seat) and then for some reason was forced in the overhead bin. It sounds like the dog owners did everything right, besides put their foot down when the flight attendant put the dog in the bin.

P.S. Of course they knew there was a dog in there.
Except check on the animal during the flight.

How do you leave a puppy, whether at your feet or in an overhead bin, alone for three-to-four hours without checking to see if it needed water or simply to make personal contact?

Of course, it should never have gone in the overhead, but to just leave it without attention until the plane landed is simply inexcusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's also a safety factor to consider. For a lot of people, extended periods of driving alone is very unsafe. I can't do more than 4-5 or so hours alone without getting VERY sleepy. At that rate, such a trip would take 8-10 days.
Well certain runs on Amtrak now allow pets

15,546 posts, read 12,039,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
You talk about your convenience and cost. My brother drove from San Diego to NY to move because flying is not healthy for dogs. He didn't care about convenience or cost as much as the comfort & well-being of his pet, even if it took a couple days.

Please don't assume to know my dog better then I do.

I cared very much about her comfort and well being. I knew she would be fine being in the cabin of the airplane with me. She would often get car sick in the car from being stressed, so a 40 hour drive would have been miserable for her. She slept the whole time on the flight, never made a noise. It was the best option for not only me, but also my dog.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well certain runs on Amtrak now allow pets
I actually checked Amtrak first when moving across the country, but at the time they did not accept any pets onboard. Even now, they only pets for trips that are 7 hours or less, including transfer time between trains on multiple-segment trips.

Last edited by Sundaydrive00; 03-15-2018 at 10:09 AM..

Old 03-15-2018, 10:03 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Since the woman can't speak English well enough such that her young daughter has to speak for her maybe there was some kind of miscommunication with the FA. If she was yelling about the dog in Spanish the FA may have just ignored her and told her to move that bag out of the aisle not knowing it was a dog.

There are too many conflicting reports right now to know how much involvement the FA actually had with the bag. If she just passed by quickly as they often do, just looking at the end of the bag sticking out maybe she really did not know and did not understand the woman's objections.

I can't wrap my brain around the FA doing this intentionally, there's got to be some confusion involved. I wish some other passenger had talked to the FA about it when the dog was barking in there, then it would be confirmed that she knew a dog was in the bin.
According to the daughter during her interview on the news where she
spoke very clearly and precisely, she told the FA her dog was in the carrier. Her mom may have tried but the girl said she did as well.

Also how can someone pick up a soft sided bag with a squirming dog in it and not realize there was something alive inside? The FA couldn’t have possibly thought it was ordinary luggage.

Some people here are asking how can these things fit under the seat. They do. My niece flys from Vancouver BC to Toronto several times a year with her Chihuahua in one of those stowed under the seat in front of her with no problem. She doesn’t fly United. I have seen other small dogs travel in this manner and it seems to work out okay.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Plane was in the air. Does no one read the linked article?
No, the plane was not in the air. It was still on the ground.

Quote:
Deboarded why? This woman followed all the rules United had for bringing dog. As an aside since no one brought it up, she paid $200 to United to bring him.
She paid $125 for her dog.

If the FA wasn't going to allow her to have the dog under her seat, then her best option would have been to take a different flight. Instead, she chose to stay on the flight and kill her dog. Who does such a horrible thing?? Who cares that she was just following what the FA told her to do, you don't kill a living creature just because someone instructs you to. The FA is not responsible for the well being of that animal, the owner is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events