Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:49 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

I have 8 friends on FB and they are out of state or people I don't see regularly. I had a few friends that got ridiculous with the political garbage during the last presidential election and some that post too much altogether so I unfollowed them. I check in maybe once a day and rarely post anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 06:53 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Facebook is like oxygen to many people. I left long ago after reading family issues that never should have been made public by family members. All the drama queens use FB as a means of getting much needed pats on the back from "friends". IMHO Facebook has done nothing more than bring out the worst in people.
There's some truth to what you say.

I'm on facebook, as is my extended family and friends and I really enjoy it.

But honestly . . . there are distant family members who I had no idea what jackasses they were. No idea at all. Or how truly stupid some people are who I thought were smart and savvy, continuously posting things that I know even before going to Snopes they're a complete hoax.

I went on Ancestry and connected to a extended family, and man. Yeah, I don't need to pursue THOSE people further - you may look like my grandpa, but you sure don't act like him or sound like him!

So it cuts through the clutter and allows you to see things you hadn't known before. Also, how truly funny some people are, and I make a point to read every post and meme because it will brighten my day.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:04 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
For those of you who don't like Facebook, you don't have to use it. For everyone else who wants to, that's their choice. I get the fact that many people have fractured relationships or don't have many friends, and Facebook is a painful reminder of what they don't have in life. They can feel envious when they see photos of people's homes, vacations, lifestyles or whatever. They certainly don't need to be on social media if it causes them crippling envy or anxiety because they don't have much of a life going on. But don't bash the rest of us who enjoy keeping up with our friends and family. We don't have to stop using Facebook just because other people are mad about it. It seems to me that most of you could have just closed down your profile, but yet, you still whine about it. Why? If you aren't on it, it shouldn't bug you.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:09 AM

911 posts, read 261,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth
How they nagged me and I still get so and so is looking for you
They nagged me also..... Kept emailing me..... I finally told them off and the emails stopped........

Old 04-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No, I closed my account more than 10 years ago and never missed it.
Other social media, no thanks except for one forum that I could quit without missing it.
Um, that would be this one?

Old 04-11-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Never had the least bit of interest in participating in SurveillanceBook (or, as I like to think of it, "The CB Radio of the 2010s") so I have not had to spend any time de-SurveillanceBooking myself.
turf, THIS forum is the CB radio of the 2010s. This allows you to connect with people across the world who you have zero actual personal relationship with, and whom you never intend on meeting, for the purpose of chatting.

Facebook is the coffee clatch of the 2010s. Where you catch up with your real, actual friends and family.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:04 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I had to join facebook to participate in my high school reunion (plans were being announced on there). I haven't made a single post/comment in 5+ years. I'll say I check it once a month but it could be once every 6 weeks. I have one photo (from the reunion) and it is me and a couple friends.

A few observations from a less than casual observer:

1. If someone has 2000 friends on FB, don't be surprised when they don't have many in real life!
At the reunion, 3 women friend requested me yet didn't speak to me in person at the reunion. 2 had several hundred friends, one had over 2000. None of the 3 are "outgoing" in any way.

2. "Friends you may know"- this one bothers me. It is everyone that searched your profile regardless of what reason and then some random location based stuff. If you put Beverly Hills in your profile, expect a lot of hot young russian women to pop up in your "friends you may know." I had a contract on a house once (selling it) and the buyer (total stranger, never met once) showed up in the "FYMK" category. I only recognized her name from the contract. No way would facebook know that I knew this person. I have had similar experiences with people I have emailed with (making me wonder if facebook had the ability to search your email without your permission).

3. Time- I know people that literally blow 2 hours a day on nonsense. The pop up ads alone are too annoying to bother with facebook.

4. The amount of data people post is way way way too much, ripe for fraud in my opinion. I posted my birthday as 10/31 (its not) and I always laugh at people that wish me a happy birthday yet my real friends know it isn't actually halloween!

An unlocked facebook account routinely shows what you look like, what your birthday is, the town you live in, what your kids/spouse looks like, probably some pics of your home/car in the background, pets, job etc. Why would anyone want that info out there?

The media feasts on facebook when someone dies, commits a crime, wins the lottery, etc. They repost all sorts of details that they got in just a couple minutes because you posted it online!

A buddy got a DUI on his birthday. Prosecutor showed up in court with a pic of him on his birthday drinking on the beach. DUI was hours later but it showed a pattern of "drinking all day." He was convicted.

Aarron Hernandez, how many people saw that pic of him as a college kid flashing a gun in the mirror!

All of these "facebook fans" need to read Orson Wells 1984 (written BTW in 1949). The "Alexa" talking gadget and the smart TV's are in the same category for me as "ummm NO"

Old 04-11-2018, 08:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Nope. Keeping mine.
Me too.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Me too.
Maybe this could be the #metoo movement of the week. ;D

Old 04-11-2018, 08:22 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I don't want to close my Facebook account. I really like messenger, and I have way too many people I would lose contact with if I left. Yes what Zuckerberg did was irresponsible, and some regulation is needed. Is he really any different then any a moral business today? It's always all about money. He made a ton, he lost a ton. I hope he learned a valuable lesson and does better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events