Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 03:28 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,492,045 times

Advertisements

New analogue clocks are still widely sold and used. Some use Roman numerals, while others use Arabic numerals and still others just use dots or other symbols. Some clocks don't even show numbers, just two hands which move around the clock face.

See some current models:

https://www.birchlane.com/decor/sb0/...html?curpage=4

Sears.com

This one would be cute for a child's room or in a garden room / shed that is not subject to rain:

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/ima...arpen=1&qlt=85

Personally, I feel that I am more productive using an analogue clock, as I can much more easily visualize the movement of time, such as "time remaining" or "time that has passed" with an analogue clock.

One of my analogue clocks is very similar to this one:

https://www.princetonwatches.com/pro...CABEgLI-vD_BwE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 03:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,427,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
New analogue clocks are still widely sold and used. Some use Roman numerals, while others use Arabic numerals and still others just use dots or other symbols. Some clocks don't even show numbers, just two hands which move around the clock face.

See some current models:

https://www.birchlane.com/decor/sb0/...html?curpage=4

Sears.com

This one would be cute for a child's room or in a garden room / shed that is not subject to rain:

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/ima...arpen=1&qlt=85

Personally, I feel that I am more productive using an analogue clock, as I can much more easily visualize the movement of time, such as "time remaining" or "time that has passed" with an analogue clock.

One of my analogue clocks is very similar to this one:

https://www.princetonwatches.com/pro...CABEgLI-vD_BwE
I like that one. Would look pretty neat on my living room wall, but I'd have to clear it with my cats first.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:50 PM

601 posts, read 463,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post

Not understanding a quarter till or a quarter after is a bit mind-boggling to me however. You can live your whole life only looking at digital readouts of time and perfectly understand the concept of 15 minutes so who knows what was going on there!
Maybe the visual aspect of a circular clock, and the minute hand "dividing" the circle at the 30-minute mark, encouraged people in the past to think in terms of halves and quarters.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:16 PM

15,507 posts, read 9,191,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Not sure if this is funny, sad, or just a sign of the times:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...nagers-unable/
And 99.99% of American kids can't tell time with a Sundial. Who cares? Times are changing. Technology is changing. Holding on to the past is not possible.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:40 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,486,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
But first you have to know that there are 60 minutes in an hour.

And then know that a 'quarter' is 1/4.

And then know the answer to 60 divided by 1/4.
Thank you. The students I work with do not, for example, know that inches on a ruler are divided into halves, quarters, etc., and do no know the inch side from the mm/cm side. They do NOT know what an INCH is!

They also don’t know that a ‘foot’ is 12 inches or that there are 12 inches on a ruler...I told the math teacher in a different school district last year that there needed to be a Measurement Boot Camp for all students before middle school and lo and behold this new school district needs one as well...

But, they are learning it from me. Wish me luck. There are only 3 weeks of school left...

Old 04-29-2018, 05:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,486,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
And 99.99% of American kids can't tell time with a Sundial. Who cares? Times are changing. Technology is changing. Holding on to the past is not possible.
But TIME is not changing.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,072,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Thank you. The students I work with do not, for example, know that inches on a ruler are divided into halves, quarters, etc., and do no know the inch side from the mm/cm side. They do NOT know what an INCH is!

They also don’t know that a ‘foot’ is 12 inches or that there are 12 inches on a ruler...I told the math teacher in a different school district last year that there needed to be a Measurement Boot Camp for all students before middle school and lo and behold this new school district needs one as well...

But, they are learning it from me. Wish me luck. There are only 3 weeks of school left...
Seems like a problem in your area.

My school district teachers all those things. We are working on measurement right now. My students already knew how many inches are in a feet, how many feet in a yard, how many yards are in a mile, and also how many feet are in a mile. They could also tell you how many inches are in a mile, but I don't know if any of them have it memorized, they'd have to do some math for that one.

They also know how to tell time. Sometimes I wish they didn't, as they like to remind me of the time frequently throughout the day.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:23 PM

26,200 posts, read 21,690,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post

Well before you get that measurement boot camp off the ground the US should adopt the metric system

Old 04-29-2018, 06:26 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,801,481 times
I think I can tell time more quickly by just looking at a clock than by reading numbers like 12.03. It's easier for me and faster to just see the configuration, the shape, where the hands are.

A few years ago I took a cruise and asked what time dinner was. I asked if I could arrive at quarter to one. The hostess had no idea of what I was talking about. Finally I said, "Fifteen minutes before one" and she understood. When you use a regular clock, you visualize those halves and quarters--a quick reaction. Not using a clock, we have to tell them the actual number and they sort of have to think about it.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:46 PM

8,528 posts, read 6,955,332 times
Technology changes everything over time. At some time a clock will just be a historical curiosity as odd as a sundial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events