Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 06:09 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Why would anyone these days bother to read a clock of any type. Most people have a cell/smart phone permanently attached to their hand that does that for you..... which is all well & good, until it fails. It never hurts to at least know how to do it the old fashioned way, whether you ever do or not. It's the same sort of problem that cropped up decades ago when calculators became cheap enough for everyone. Most younger people stopped learning to do basic math without one. The battery makers laughed all the way to the bank... and still are.
Correct. I'm a forty something and my wrist feels naked without a watch. All three of my watches have analog faces. I prefer that style. I used to wear watches that didn't have any numbers on the analog display at all, but I now prefer the visual reference point of at least being able to see the 12, 3, 6, and 9 when looking at an analog watch face. And to those youngsters out there, many employers do not allow their employees to keep their cell phones on them, not even as a timepiece I still do basic math without a calculator as well. When I was applying for my new job, I went to several interviews and at most of them, I was asked to take a quiz performing several math problems sans calculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 06:15 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
Who cares? Can anyone here use an abacus? Instead we use calculators.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:20 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,985,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Who cares? Can anyone here use an abacus? Instead we use calculators.
Not necessarily. Many of us still remember how to use our BRAINS for common math problems. I won't go into the reasons why one should develop that talent...

Old 04-30-2018, 06:30 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,266,042 times
Most of the clocks in my house are digital. It's a necessity downstairs, where I can't have the sound of a motor-driven or ticking clock. But I like analog clocks with sweep second hands for being a better representation of the concept of time than digital clocks.

I have a sundial in my back yard.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:06 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,465,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Not necessarily. Many of us still remember how to use our BRAINS for common math problems. I won't go into the reasons why one should develop that talent...
Which has nothing to do with your inability to use an abacus to calculate.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,234,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Not sure if this is funny, sad, or just a sign of the times:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...nagers-unable/
I'll bet this is consistent across the globe for young people who grew up with digital time pieces.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:26 AM

601 posts, read 459,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Correct. I'm a forty something and my wrist feels naked without a watch. All three of my watches have analog faces. I prefer that style. I used to wear watches that didn't have any numbers on the analog display at all, but I now prefer the visual reference point of at least being able to see the 12, 3, 6, and 9 when looking at an analog watch face. And to those youngsters out there, many employers do not allow their employees to keep their cell phones on them, not even as a timepiece I still do basic math without a calculator as well. When I was applying for my new job, I went to several interviews and at most of them, I was asked to take a quiz performing several math problems sans calculator.
As an aside, it's a fun fact that wristwatches were originally a women's fashion item (at the end of the 19th century). During World War I the militaries realized that a wristwatch is much more practical than a pocket watch in combat, so a generation of young men got used to them. Still, I imagine some older people at the time thought men wearing them was shamefully effeminate.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:12 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,863,415 times
Heck my apple watch is set to a traditional analogue clock. I'm either part of the part or the solution! haha When using my cell phone I'll still look at my watch instead.

And Dave Allen, wow! Loved his show.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:52 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,107,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm not sure our American kids are doing any better. The clocks in my children's junior high and high school are digital. My kids were taught to read the old clocks, but not sure if they remember how. I have one clock in my house for decoration. That's it.
As a teacher in America, I noticed that the more the years passed, more and more of my students could not read non-digital clocks or watches OR read and write in cursive. Eventually, none of my students could do either. So no, American kids are NOT doing any better.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:59 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,082,984 times
what I find sad is that few people would know how to read the time of a stick's shadow stuck into the dirt. Sure it's pretty they would say, and then probably ask you what time it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events