Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 11:00 PM

4,710 posts, read 3,496,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Ok, I'm not stating the problem correctly. How about a 'quarter' would equal 25%, and 25% of 60 minutes is 15 minutes, or a quarter, 1/4, of an hour.
Understood you the first TIME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:10 AM

10,972 posts, read 5,814,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Understood you the first TIME.
I understood as well. But there is a big difference between what he meant, and what he actually posted.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:54 AM

9,373 posts, read 15,033,926 times
Besides being unable to read clocks or read/write cursive, kids can't use money. I have also encountered a number who have never read an entire book at age 18 or 19 because their attention spans are limited to 30 seconds while multi-tasking.

Cash registers give exact change- since they can't do basic math well enough to count back change. But they are also having trouble coming up with the right bills and coins to give the change since they no longer use cash themselves- only debit cards.

My husband had to tell a young cashier the other day that $7 in change was one five and two dollar bills. A good thing he didn't have to figure out .89 in coin.

I'd hate to think what would happen in an emergency when all goes offline and the batteries go dead.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:07 AM

6,846 posts, read 2,976,043 times
This is not just about clocks and telling the time. Humankind is on the skids and we all have to face this fact head on. I strongly suspect that few people care as more and more of them are becoming human robots and are losing or have lost the ability to think like humans. They don't need to ...their technology does it for them. Meanwhile they tend to laugh it off as being no big deal. Time will tell whether or not I'm correct.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:09 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,043,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Not necessarily. Many of us still remember how to use our BRAINS for common math problems. I won't go into the reasons why one should develop that talent...
For those who can't recall why one needs to use his/her brain to solve common math problems or to read an analog clock, Google it.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 AM

8,238 posts, read 7,598,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I have a cheap Wal-Mart wall clock that I actually use to check the time. I know - that's so 1970's
I had to go to Wal-Mart to get my wife a Clock Radio when hers died. Talk about 1970's! The numbers on the display are real big so the old folks can see it without putting their specs on.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:34 AM

33,386 posts, read 26,705,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
I'm in my late 30s---which isn't old---but I notice that hardly any people younger than I even wear watches anymore. So many people now are used to pulling out their smart phones and reading the digital time display.

Personally, my wrist feels naked without a watch. I also think it's a lot easier to just glance down at your wrist---whether wearing a digital or an analog watch---than to have to reach down in your pocket, pull out a phone, and then put it back in your pocket---to see what time it is.
I'm the opposite. I hate having a watch on my wrist. On the rare occasion when I take a watch with me I take my pocket watch.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:42 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,468,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I understood as well. But there is a big difference between what he meant, and what he actually posted.
Yes, and it took a while to realize my error . Since I'm a senior I could blame it on old age, but I won't. It's just a think before you type kind of thing.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:16 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,003,411 times
Sign of the times. I have several clocks in my immediate vicinity (computer, bedside, on the bike, etc.) all digital. I learned how to use a dial clock as a small child and still know how to now, though lately I've found it takes me a moment to figure the time on mom's dial clock due to constant exposure to the "look up and forget it" nature of numeric readouts.

Like I said, sign of the times.

Quote:
has regained some sanity and ushered off most LED digital clocks

Really? Where? News to me.

Quote:
I had to go to Wal-Mart to get my wife a Clock Radio when hers died. Talk about 1970's!

It's not one with the numbers that flip over, is it? Jeez, I still have one of those!

Old 05-01-2018, 02:40 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,747,471 times
omg,who cares about reading something that is obsolete and serves no real gauge for knowledge and intelligence. ...These very same kids will all be fixing your computer and iPhone problems and setting up your smart TVs and routers and wireless internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events