Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 02:15 PM

15,256 posts, read 13,077,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I worked in a prison for a short time and we had a trustee who cleaned the offices because she was one of the best behaved inmates in the place. She was a teeny-tiny woman and very well spoken/polite. You never would have guessed that she was in there for killing her husband but that's exactly what she was in for. Her husband had been abusive towards her and she had pretty much tolerated it since she was a housewife and thought she didn't have a way out. One day it changed and the husband beat her then started to go after the kids and her dog. That's when she snapped and blasted him with a shotgun. It's hard to tell how any of us would react in an extreme situation like that.

I feel for her.

I was lucky, I could get out because I didn't have kids. Kids make getting out of a domestic violence situation both much more difficult and absolutely imperative.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:13 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,925,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
And she absolutely should NOT have been incarcerated for that.
I read about the case and the jury was hung for a while.

She ended up with 5 years for manslaughter and got out after 3 years for good behavior.

She couldn't go back to her teaching job with a felony on her record but now works with a shelter victims of domestic violence so she is doing okay.

I also felt it was pretty unfair to lock her up; it was more self-defense and defending her kids rather than a malicious act on her part when she shot her husband.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,069,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
The woman appears to have a black eye in the news story and most people tend to get VERY upset when they see someone abusing something/someone smaller and weaker.

It's not a stretch to imagine that he might have been abusive towards her but when he was cruel to the cat she just temporarily "lost it" and shot him in the moment.

I worked in a prison for a short time and we had a trustee who cleaned the offices because she was one of the best behaved inmates in the place. She was a teeny-tiny woman and very well spoken/polite. You never would have guessed that she was in there for killing her husband but that's exactly what she was in for. Her husband had been abusive towards her and she had pretty much tolerated it since she was a housewife and thought she didn't have a way out. One day it changed and the husband beat her then started to go after the kids and her dog. That's when she snapped and blasted him with a shotgun. It's hard to tell how any of us would react in an extreme situation like that.
Ugh. Stories like this are so hard. If the long-term abuse can be proven or corroborated and the killing can be proven to be in defense of another or self-defense (corroborating witness, injuries, other evidence that would tend to show the woman is telling the truth), I honestly believe people like that woman don't deserve a day in jail. Even a story of a longtime abused woman "snapping" not in immediate self-defense or defense of another, IMO, should result in no prison time... Battered Woman Syndrome is a thing. There is a whole psychological explanation for why abused women suddenly kill like that, and why it is often not when they are being abused directly, or immediately after, but after some time has passed, which legally may make a self-defense or defense of another defense hard to prove if not impossible to use.

It sucks. The law honestly does not protect abused women enough.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:33 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,375,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Him giving her a black eye is an assumption, but it's certainly not a stretch.

Look, none of us know exactly what happened but it's crystal clear that he was in a fit of rage and they were arguing. From the article:

When officers arrived Mary Harrison reported that she had shot her husband “during an argument, as he was beating the family cat,” police said.

Had she not shot him, what do you suppose would have happened?

You don't think she had reason to be fearful of her life? THAT is the crux of this conversation.
This is ridiculous. If he wanted to assault her, he would have done it and not the cat. I'm not interested in the hypotheticals or feelings driven comments. Just focusing on the facts. She killed a man for abusing a cat and should be locked up for a very long time.

This woman is a maniac!

Last edited by Percentage; 06-06-2018 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It is anything but simple.

But hey, please relate to us your experience with getting domestic violence abusers put behind bars. Perhaps there is something we have missed.
What does this have to do with me? Another by heart mumbojumbo. The lady should be charged with murder, locked up in a cell with a cat and have the keys thrown away. End of story.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
I'm not a cat owner nor cat lover. I dislike them in fact.

However.

A person who has it in them to beat/assault/physically harm a helpless living creature of whatever species is someone I would gladly kill could I get away with it.

To me, the "crux" is that a person capable of doing that should be removed from society permanently and them being dead is permanent.

Hurting in whatever fashion something helpless is the salient point; humans who do that are best eliminated.
Then you are no different from the person you've described. You are just one incident away from being an unapologetic murderer and folks with this sort of mentality have no place in our society. They should be locked away.

It's absolutely insane to justify killing a human being for hurting a pet. If you are so passionate about your cat, please divorce him and remove the animal from that environment. You don't kill him and think it's okay; and it does NOT make you a good person.

Anyone with such a trigger happy mentality, one you've just expressed..albeit online where people say crazy stuff far from their personality....should be locked up in prison, right next to this crazy murderous maniac and her cat.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:17 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,893,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Then you are no different from the person you've described. You are just one incident away from being an unapologetic murderer and folks with this sort of mentality have no place in our society. They should be locked away.

It's absolutely insane to justify killing a human being for hurting a pet. If you are so passionate about your cat, please divorce him and remove the animal from that environment. You don't kill him and think it's okay; and it does NOT make you a good person.

Anyone with such a trigger happy mentality, one you've just expressed..albeit online where people say crazy stuff far from their personality....should be locked up in prison, right next to this crazy murderous maniac and her cat.
Skewed logic, that.

The difference between the person who harms helpless beings and what I propose to be in favor of, is, my victim would not be helpless. Those who harm the weak and helpless need removal from the species and would benefit society thereby.

It's most definitely not about avenging the cat, infant, woman or whatever helpless being the sicko harmed. At all.

It's about removing from humanity those whose presence should not be endured nor tolerated, for the benefit of all.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:27 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,596,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
This is ridiculous. If he wanted to assault her, he would have done it and not the cat. I'm not interested in the hypotheticals or feelings driven comments. Just focusing on the facts. She killed a man for abusing a cat and should be locked up for a very long time.

This woman is a maniac!
You know, when I was little, I had a parent who would start by hitting one person. Then god help you bc they would go on to the next person there as they got good and warmed up and it would spiral...

I totally believe that it could have easily moved beyond the cat and to the wife.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:07 PM

9,896 posts, read 22,096,433 times
Abusing or killing a cat in some states is a felony. The man got what he deserved.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
Skewed logic, that.

The difference between the person who harms helpless beings and what I propose to be in favor of, is, my victim would not be helpless. Those who harm the weak and helpless need removal from the species and would benefit society thereby.

It's most definitely not about avenging the cat, infant, woman or whatever helpless being the sicko harmed. At all.

It's about removing from humanity those whose presence should not be endured nor tolerated, for the benefit of all.
I get your drift and quite frankly don't disagree with eliminating the proven evil beings within our society. The problem then becomes how to measure what constitutes an evil person because allowing citizens to take law upon themselves will lead to lots of innocent people getting killed for made up reasons.

Let me paint this picture, what if (I know I said no hypotheticals) but please permit me, what if this guy is a decent hard working human being. Had a stressful day, came home to let's just say a lazy spouse, who smoked all day and did absolutely nothing to contribute to the household. Then in the heat of sorting their affairs, snaps and kicks the cat or dog, or fish tank...whatever. No history of abuse but just sheer frustration. Does that make him an evil person worthy of being eliminated? Some would think so....

Same way a few posters were clamoring for momentary insanity for the woman, an argument can be made for the guy if the situation is remotely close to the pathetic example I listed above... Im just focusing on the actual incident and not what could have happened.. A man is dead for abusing a cat. Charge him with a crime and fine him, make him pay the vet bill...enroll him in anger management classes. Do anything but strip him of a chance at redemption. The cat is still alive for goodness sakes. Come on, this is crazy. IMHO this lady should be incarcerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events