Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 04:02 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,343,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
We have kitties...my husband was saying this exact thing the other day, LOL. That "playful" pawing would be: removal of our faces.

With that said...

As far as harming animals, yes, a person who is abusive will take great joy in watching his/her victim cry and beg when the victim's pet is harmed. I experienced this growing up, quite a bit. When my stepfather wanted a reason to "punish" me he'd drop-kick my cat and literally boot her across the room. Or he'd sneak up and sideways boot her into the wall. One time he just picked her up in one hand and threw her into the wall. He'd watch my face, grinning. If I so much as twitched that was it, punishment. But he enjoyed it either way - watching me struggle and suffer horribly to not move and help my pet, or being able to harm me for being "brazen" enough to yell out.

Not uncommon at all.

And yes, this is all just supposition. But so what? A few have taken the ball and run with "oh, she killed him just for hitting a cat" so apparently, guesswork is fair game today.

Until we REALLY know...we don't really know.

What we DO know is that if a person were to kill another person literally just for swatting at a cat, one single time, it would be a very, very, very, very, very unusual situation. Period.
Sad to know that there are a-holes like your step father on this planet. That is very disturbing to me.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:13 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,972,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

I do know if I ever found someone abusing my cat, I may not shoot them, I don’t have a gun in any case, but they would get a heavy lamp over the head or at least a frying pan.

Same here. You hurt my cat, it'll be your choice, the ICU or the morgue, but either way you won't be getting out of this situation physically intact.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:16 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,653,489 times
So? Good riddance you animal abusing POS. Why would anyone in their right mind beat any animal who hadn't harmed them? He might have hit his wife before and his hurting the cat could have been the last straw.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 PM

30,418 posts, read 52,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
And if someone murders her husband over a cat she deserves jail time.

If only she could've called the cops or animal cruelty instead.

She'll think twice about murder when she's locked away and her cat is forced to fend for itself.
Are you being willfully ignorant, or do you honestly think he was ONLY harming a cat? Fact: Abusing animals is a sign of dangerously violent tendencies, which usually don't end there. Most serial killers started with animals, and anyone who could BEAT a tiny (in comparison to him) cat is clearly a psychopath... she was probably a victim of his abuse already, and may have been the one to end up dead if she hadn't done this.

It isn't about "killing him over a cat," but rather killing someone who was probably making her life a living hell. Perhaps even a result of PTSD or the like? And if she had left him instead, he'd find some other defenseless women and animals to beat on instead. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.

Disclosure: I say this under the assumption that the story is true, and if it's not, my comments still apply in general.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 27 days ago)

35,759 posts, read 18,101,092 times
I will say, there is virtually no outcry on social media, or mainstream media, from his family or loved ones who are upset about this as much as the headlines tried to whip this up into a frenzy.

There are a couple RIPs, and one woman who knew him as a child posted something nice, and beyond that, crickets.

Even his immediate family seems to keep posting about their exercise workout of the day, or other daily minutia, after an initial RIP.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:37 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,018,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This is a major concern: Is she making this whole thing about the cat up as a reason for her bad behavior?
HINT: Women who kill their husbands tend to lie........
She called 911 and told them she had shot her husband and why.

She told the police the same thing when she was being interrogated.

If it was premeditated, I would hope she would make up a more convincing excuse, like self-defense. Easy enough to stage the scene before the cops get there, just leave a butcher knife nearby.

No, I think she was telling the truth and was in shock.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:03 PM

17,910 posts, read 9,333,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If only she could've called the cops or animal cruelty instead.
And what would that have accomplished? The laws regarding animal cruelty/abuse are disgustingly lenient. He would not have been charged with a felony. No jail time. It would be at most a misdemeanor. A slap on the wrist.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:06 PM

17,910 posts, read 9,333,332 times
With a good lawyer, she could possibly walk free. Temporary insanity.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,018,723 times
According to the Wapo, the Harrisons had just moved into their duplex a few months ago. So it's unlikely the neighbors knew them well. In fact, some said "the family mostly kept to themselves."

Also, they were reported to have two teenage sons.

Elsewhere:

"Mary Harrison waived her Miranda rights while she was being interviewed by detectives and admitted to shooting her husband."

Old 06-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 27 days ago)

35,759 posts, read 18,101,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
According to the Wapo, the Harrisons had just moved into their duplex a few months ago. So it's unlikely the neighbors knew them well. In fact, some said "the family mostly kept to themselves."

Also, they were reported to have two teenage sons.

Elsewhere:

"Mary Harrison waived her Miranda rights while she was being interviewed by detectives and admitted to shooting her husband."
I'm going to say THEY didn't have "two teenaged sons". SHE had kids, but I don't believe, from what I've found, that she even knew this guy more than 2 years. It doesn't appear he lived in the area for more than 2 years.

My guess is, "a few months" is about as long as they have been together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events