Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 04:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm thinking that even though they lose all their deposits, they still wouldn't necessarily get fully charged for things that didn't happen.

For instance, would they have to pay for food not prepared or likely, even bought for yet? Really, I'm asking cause I don't know. lol And if they were planning a band, would they have to pay for it, if the band doesn't even play?

Cause isn't that the point of deposits, which are usually paid up front?
I really do not know for sure what is typical. At my son's wedding 100% of the food bill (for the estimated number of guests), champagne bill and venue costs needed to be paid two weeks in advance. Plus, a large deposit for the open bar. They didn't have flowers, but the candles/candle holders and other decorations needed to be paid in full a week before the wedding. The wedding cake (in their case wedding cupcakes) needed to be paid in full a week before the wedding. The DJ had a substantial deposit due weeks before the wedding and the full fee paid a week in advance.

Of course, wedding dresses are ordered months in advance, and alterations done weeks or months in advance, and you would not get a refund on that .

Maybe this is not typical, but, I'm pretty sure, that if my son and future DIL had called off their wedding four days in advance they/her parents (whoever signed the contracts) would have been responsible for at least 90% of the total costs of the wedding (even if it was not held).

Sometimes you read about a potential bride or her parents donating the food to a homeless shelter or another organization or holding "a party" or something like that if a wedding is called off last minute, but IMHO, I suspect that it still is a huge financial loss.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-28-2018 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 04:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
[color=red]For instance, would they have to pay for food not prepared or likely, even bought for yet? Really, I'm asking cause I don't know. lol And if they were planning a band, would they have to pay for it, if the band doesn't even play?

Cause isn't that the point of deposits, which are usually paid up front?
The deposit is to hold the date. If you cancel on short notice, they're not going to be able to rebook that day at the last minute. The band and the caterer did nothing wrong, why should their businesses suffer?

Old 08-28-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I guess that I am just old fashioned. I think that couples should wait until they are married, and are financially ready, before they decide to have children.
Life doesn't always happen the way you expect it to. Things happen, and something like an unplanned pregnancy can't be put off until the couple is more financially ready.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
I guess that I am just old fashioned. I think that couples should wait until they are married, and are financially ready, before they decide to have children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Life doesn't always happen the way you expect it to. Things happen, and something like an unplanned pregnancy can't be put off until the couple is more financially ready.
While that is true, I have known three different teenagers well enough that they shared with me that the pregnancy happened because they did not use birth control. That is a completely different situation than an older couple having an unplanned pregnancy "before they are financially ready".

One couple had been having sex for nine months relying on "pull out". Another got pregnant the very first time that they had sex and were absolutely incredulous because "everyone knows that you can't get pregnant the first time that you have sex!!!". The third couple thought that you couldn't get pregnant if you had sex standing up (or stood up right after sex).

One was couple was 15 and 16, one couple was 17 and 18 and the last couple were both 18.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
While that is true, I have known three different teenagers well enough that they shared with me that the pregnancy happened because they did not use birth control. One couple had been having sex for nine months relying on "pull out". Another got pregnant the very first time that they had sex and were absolutely incredulous because "everyone knows that you can't get pregnant the first time that you have sex!!!". The third couple thought that you couldn't get pregnant if you had sex standing up (or stood up right after sex).

One was couple was 15 and 16, one couple was 17 and 18 and the last couple were both 18.

It was interesting that all three couples got married and all three couples were divorced within a few years.
Doesn't sound like any of those pregnancies were planned though. And the fact that all 3 ended up divorced shows that marriage isn't something you should rush into just because there is a baby involved.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
This has to be a fake story, can't believe a real person would think this way.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Please educate us believers with proof. Thanks
Why don't you offer up proof that it's real?

Old 08-28-2018, 06:32 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Statistic say the more expensive the wedding, the higher the chance of divorce.

Who knew superficial displays of love by those who can't afford it never held weight? Imagine that.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:38 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Who knew superficial displays of love by those who can't afford it never held weight? Imagine that.

What makes you think it's meant to be a display of love?

It was meant to be a display of status by those who had none and wanted others to provide it.

It's a gross perversion of what weddings are supposed to be.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I would think the richer you are, the easier it is to get divorced without it being a strain on your finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events