Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 11:15 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Does that include Key West, FL? If so, Count me in!!! Id love to move there and start anew.
Yes, walk down Duval and about every place will have a help wanted sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 11:18 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Here's an interesting article about a homeless couple sleeping on the sidewalk in DC, the woman works full time and gets cleaned up for work at Union Station https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nl_most&wpmm=1
Or, she can just leave one of the most expensive places to live, and go to a low cost of living area and rent a place.

I have no idea why people feel entitled and struggle to live in such costly places, when they can just go to a low cost area and live much better.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
In her position, it would be tough to get established in a new city/town. Landlords don't like to rent to people without jobs, and employers don't like to hire the homeless.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:28 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Does that include Key West, FL? If so, Count me in!!! Id love to move there and start anew.
The problem is there would be no place affordable to live there on a service job wage.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
In her position, it would be tough to get established in a new city/town. Landlords don't like to rent to people without jobs, and employers don't like to hire the homeless.
Right, plus it costs money to move. At least she is working now. Getting off a bus in Indiana with no place to live, wash clothes, shower, sure that’s a great recipe for starting over. Employers love to hire people who have no address. Such ridiculously simplistic thinking, “Just move”.

They feel “entitled” to struggle, that’s a new low, lol.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:16 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My brother lived in a rent-controlled apartment for 35 years. How on earth would he have been better off in the long run if they had been able to raise rents willy-nilly?
How is the landlord better off by the existence of rent control?

How is the person seeking an apartment, unable to find one at a price point she's willing to pay because the existence of rent control has encouraged people such as your brother to squat in the same rent-controlled apartment for 35 years, better off?

Why should your brother be better off at the expense of everyone else?

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 03-23-2019 at 08:25 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 08:45 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

How is the person seeking an apartment, unable to find one at a price point she's willing to pay because the existence of rent control has encouraged people such as your brother to squat in the same rent-controlled apartment for 35 years, better off?

I think there's more people affected by greedy landlords than there are landlords affected by poor people.

Why should a single individual be allowed to affect the lives of so many ? In my state they are allowed to act as intrusive and despicable as they want, pretty much. Some new greedy landlords bought our apartment almost a year ago and it's been nonstop renovations (there went the quality of life for the residents, but who cares about THAT, right ?) and constant "memos" sent out to the tenants, at least once a week...with things highlighted in different shades of highlighter. It's annoying. We now feel as if we are employees rather than people paying a HUGE amount of money in exchange for the small space 3 adults have to live in.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post

I don’t think it is at the expense of everybody else. It’s a big complex that has enough empty apartments that they have a decent amount of section 8. It’s not like everyone else is paying luxury prices because my brothers is rent controlled.

My auto insurance policy is cheaper than most, but when I tried to switch my fiancé to my company and my plan, they told me the policy is no longer offered and I am grandfathered in. Rent control is no different. The other side of your coin, why should loyal, long time customers have s better deal than new customers?

“squat”, really?

Old 03-23-2019, 01:54 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My brother lived in a rent-controlled apartment for 35 years. How on earth would he have been better off in the long run if they had been able to raise rents willy-nilly?
You're talking about one person and people like him.

I'm talking about the overall rental market that becomes more expensive. Not just the relative few who "win".

Old 03-23-2019, 02:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I think there's more people affected by greedy landlords than there are landlords affected by poor people.

Why should a single individual be allowed to affect the lives of so many ? In my state they are allowed to act as intrusive and despicable as they want, pretty much. Some new greedy landlords bought our apartment almost a year ago and it's been nonstop renovations (there went the quality of life for the residents, but who cares about THAT, right ?) and constant "memos" sent out to the tenants, at least once a week...with things highlighted in different shades of highlighter. It's annoying. We now feel as if we are employees rather than people paying a HUGE amount of money in exchange for the small space 3 adults have to live in.
Really? Because if you're in Oregon, that's not really the case, it's a pretty tenant-friendly state, especially with the recent legislation banning no-fault evictions and limiting rent increases. I can see how it would be a huge pain to live in a place that's being renovated, but you may have some rights in that situation that you may not be aware of, depending on the extent of it and now noisy and intrusive it is. You may be able to receive a rent concession if it's that bad. These people might be able to give you more information:

Community Alliance of Tenants - Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events