Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 02:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The benefits of maternal antibodies (from having experienced the disease) is only helpful if the person survives the disease. My mother would have had another brother and sister, but they both died in childhood the same week of diptheria.

Can you even imagine going back to the days where it was common to have multiple children die?!? Really, think about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Exactly! My great-grands lost three kids, all boys, in three weeks during a diphtheria epidemic in the 1890s. I never got to meet those three Great-Uncles.
I don't know much about deaths in my family back then from diseases, but my great-uncle contracted polio before the vaccine was around and he was handicapped for life. Always needed some type of crutches in childhood and adulthood, a walker in old age. He wanted to join the military like his brothers but could not, and never married, either.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:26 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Ideally, the CDC would stop playing Hot-Potato with the research needed to support broadening the criteria for contraindications to vaccines to include known genetic susceptibility.

Ideally, the CDC would acknowledge that the WHO has agreed to monitor some of the potential discrepancies in the immunization schedule that may be contributing to both decreased efficiacy to & increased adverse reactions to; the MMR.

The CDC is assuming that improving the safety of a policy is admitting to a currently unsafe policy & that will eventually erode the public’s confidence, not ensure it.
What "known genetic susceptibility"? If there is a "known genetic susceptibility" how much would it cost to test everyone in the world for it? How frequently does it occur? What is the risk for a complication from the infection if someone with a "known genetic susceptibility" gets the disease?

What "discrepancies"? What decreased effectiveness?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4675157/

Australia, as of 2012:

"Vaccine effectiveness was estimated at 96.7% (95% confidence interval [CI]: 94.5–98.0%) for one dose and 99.7% (95% CI: 99.2–99.9%) for two doses of measles vaccine."

The problem with measles vaccine is clusters of people who have not had it.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't know much about deaths in my family back then from diseases, but my great-uncle contracted polio before the vaccine was around and he was handicapped for life. Always needed some type of crutches in childhood and adulthood, a walker in old age. He wanted to join the military like his brothers but could not, and never married, either.
My uncle took us to the cemetery where these Great Uncles are buried and told us the story. I had heard some of it before, but my DH hadn't and he was appalled at the idea of losing three kids in three weeks. (Not that I wasn't, I'd heard some of it before, like the one who was so thirsty d/t the membrane that forms over your throat with diphtheria that he tried to lap up water like a dog.)

But you know, these are just "anecdotes". Now MissTerri's story of her own flu this winter which was just an "inconvenience", that's cold hard science! /sarcasm font on!

Old 04-08-2019, 04:49 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
My uncle took us to the cemetery where these Great Uncles are buried and told us the story. I had heard some of it before, but my DH hadn't and he was appalled at the idea of losing three kids in three weeks. (Not that I wasn't, I'd heard some of it before, like the one who was so thirsty d/t the membrane that forms over your throat with diphtheria that he tried to lap up water like a dog.)

But you know, these are just "anecdotes". Now MissTerri's story of her own flu this winter which was just an "inconvenience", that's cold hard science! /sarcasm font on!
Yeah, anecdotes are only good when they suit your agenda. I understand how this works.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yeah, anecdotes are only good when they suit your agenda. I understand how this works.
You sure do-your flu, your kid's rotavirus, etc.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:59 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
You sure do-your flu, your kid's rotavirus, etc.
No those don’t count. Just your anecdotes count silly.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:20 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
My 1 year old Uncle died in 1924 in his sleep and his crib right next to his twin brother. Neither were sick. His Death Certificate read "Crib Death". His brother lived into his old age. Blame a contagious disease on his death?

Today they would call this SIDS? No?

Old 04-08-2019, 05:26 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My 1 year old Uncle died in 1924 in his sleep and his crib right next to his twin brother. Neither were sick. His Death Certificate read "Crib Death". His brother lived into his old age. Blame a contagious disease on his death?

Today they would call this SIDS? No?
Yes, today "crib death" is called SIDS. A death due to a "contagious disease" is due to the "contagious disease" and would not be diagnosed as SIDS.

Your point?

The risk of SIDS has been reduced by having babies put to sleep on their backs rather than face down.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Thanks for the anecdote. How to you explain the major decline in measles deaths prior to the vaccine?
It ran out of enough hosts. Vast majority of adult had measles as a child, and couldn't catch it again or spread it. Same for teens and older children, since both parents and doctors wanted them to catch these diseases as young as possible.

Then the birthrate declined; fewer babies being born so fewer new young children to catch it. This was the original concept of "herd immunity". When the vast majority has already had measles and immune, fewer will be able to catch it. They hijacked this concept for vaccination purposes.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, today "crib death" is called SIDS. A death due to a "contagious disease" is due to the "contagious disease" and would not be diagnosed as SIDS.

Your point?

The risk of SIDS has been reduced by having babies put to sleep on their backs rather than face down.

A 1 year old, who is walking, can sleep in any position he wants to. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events