Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A 24-year-old man pleaded guilty Tuesday to throwing a 5-year-old off a balcony at the Mall of America last month.

The boy survived but, according to a GoFundMe page, faces a long recovery after the 40 foot fall.

Emmanuel Aranda pleaded guilty to one count of attempted premeditated murder. He faces a sentence of 19 years in prison, which is on the upper end of the sentencing guidelines.
Man Accused Of Throwing Boy Over MOA Balcony Pleads Guilty – WCCO _ CBS Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Good, now they need to put him in the slammer for at least 15 years.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
From a legal standpoint, this is an interesting twist.

Has anyone ever seen a case where a defendant agreed to plead, and accepted the maximum sentence allowed?

The whole benefit of taking a plea, is you are offered a sentence less than the maximum a jury could possibly give you.

While he hasn't been formally sentenced, it appears he's agreed to the 19 years, which is the max he could possibly get if he went to trial.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
What sort of motive did this man have? They didn't know each other it states. Sadly, there are going to be more of these because once someone does something and it gets press like this, there will be copycats. It is what it is.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:05 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
What sort of motive did this man have? They didn't know each other it states. Sadly, there are going to be more of these because once someone does something and it gets press like this, there will be copycats. It is what it is.
He was angry that he was unable to pick up women in the mall, and he had gone there the day before to throw an adult over the railing but "it didn't work out".

So he showed up intending to throw someone off, and this poor child was the unlucky target.

I'd be surprised if there are copycats - he was apprehended pdq and doesn't look like a hero or tough guy. He looks like a monster.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He was angry that he was unable to pick up women in the mall, and he had gone there the day before to throw an adult over the railing but "it didn't work out".

So he showed up intending to throw someone off, and this poor child was the unlucky target.

I'd be surprised if there are copycats - he was apprehended pdq and doesn't look like a hero or tough guy. He looks like a monster.
I wasn't surprised there are countless school shootings after Columbine. I remember telling my friends this will be the first of many and the shooters are monsters not tough guys. We shall see. I really wonder if race was a factor to be honest. I have never felt more racial tension in society than I do today and I am over 50 years old.

I do hope you are right though. Time will tell.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:25 AM

108 posts, read 56,570 times
That is tragic. I pray for his family.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:59 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,158 times

Last edited by mjlo; 06-04-2019 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 06:04 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
From a legal standpoint, this is an interesting twist.

Has anyone ever seen a case where a defendant agreed to plead, and accepted the maximum sentence allowed?

The whole benefit of taking a plea, is you are offered a sentence less than the maximum a jury could possibly give you.

While he hasn't been formally sentenced, it appears he's agreed to the 19 years, which is the max he could possibly get if he went to trial.
Yes, I think it's on the same lines, as death row inmates who refuse to appeal their sentence, when doing so would keep them alive until they die of natural causes. In this case though, the man doesn't want to die, he just wants a nice warm place to stay and three meals a day. He clearly has severe mental health issues, for which there is zero help. Spending the next 19 years in prison, is a bright future for him compared to spending it freezing on the streets of Minneapolis, wondering where his next meal is coming from.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:26 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
The perp just got sentenced to the full 19 years in prison!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/03/us/ma...ing/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events