Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 04:20 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,245,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Okay, they have collected over a million dollars for him. He is now back in school and "He is now walking PERFECTLY with even legs AMEN". So why is the GoFundMe still open? It sounds like he has made a miraculous recovery. I'm not sure what they need more money for. It sounds like he is fine.
The go fund me is supposed to help medical expenses which given the cost of care its probably in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Likely the go fund me is still open because all the bills arent received yet. He was in intensive care for months and has had 15 surgeries or something like that. Even with health insurance there are likely a lot of bills not covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 04:47 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
The go fund me is supposed to help medical expenses which given the cost of care its probably in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Likely the go fund me is still open because all the bills arent received yet. He was in intensive care for months and has had 15 surgeries or something like that. Even with health insurance there are likely a lot of bills not covered.
It can also help with family living expenses, allowing parents to take time off from work.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:39 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It can also help with family living expenses, allowing parents to take time off from work.
$1 million would allow the parents to take a lot of time off from work. Most people could retire on $1 million. I still don't understand why they would have to take any time off from work at this point. The kid has made a miraculous 100% recovery and is back in school, according to the parents. So why do the parents need to take any more time off from work?

Old 11-26-2019, 09:47 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Okay, but they have collected over $1 million already. The only possible reasons I can think of for them to continue collecting funds, is 1. if the kid is not really doing as well as they say he is, and he still needs more medical treatment, or 2. they just want to collect more money for other reasons. Either way it doesn't sound like they are being honest.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:32 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,245,710 times
Quote:
Okay, but they have collected over $1 million already. The only possible reasons I can think of for them to continue collecting funds, is 1. if the kid is not really doing as well as they say he is, and he still needs more medical treatment, or 2. they just want to collect more money for other reasons. Either way it doesn't sound like they are being honest.
Are they still actively asking for money or is the go fund me just open? Because most likely there are still bills not paid and the parents probably lost 100k in income too. Most people in situations like this donate the remainder of their fundraised money

Old 11-27-2019, 05:01 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times
Quote:
How do you not understand this?

*Multiple surgeries.
*Intensive rehab.
*Over three months in intensive care.
*Nearly five months in the hospital overall.

Just hospital room and board - no doctors fees, no medicines, nothing else - can run $2000 per night. Intensive care? Try $5000+ per night.

The intensive care stay alone for this boy - the bed, not any of the actual treatment - probably cost somewhere in the neighborhood of half a million dollars. Then there's the rest of the hospitalization, the surgeries, the rehab, and everything else (x-rays, lab fees, MRIs, CAT scans, etc.).

Yet you're acting like the fundraising is some scam, and you're doing so for no valid reason.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:55 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
$1 million would allow the parents to take a lot of time off from work. Most people could retire on $1 million. I still don't understand why they would have to take any time off from work at this point. The kid has made a miraculous 100% recovery and is back in school, according to the parents. So why do the parents need to take any more time off from work?
For comparison:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-...re-800-n981256

"An unvaccinated Oregon boy almost died from tetanus, the first case of the bacterial infection in the state in 30 years. The 6-year-old's harrowing illness and painful, two-month treatment — which cost close to a million dollars ... "

They already probably had to take time off from work. They would be lucky if they could get paid for the entire time their son was hospitalized.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:04 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
For comparison:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-...re-800-n981256

"An unvaccinated Oregon boy almost died from tetanus, the first case of the bacterial infection in the state in 30 years. The 6-year-old's harrowing illness and painful, two-month treatment — which cost close to a million dollars ... "

They already probably had to take time off from work. They would be lucky if they could get paid for the entire time their son was hospitalized.
I dont think people realize just how expensive medical care is in this country. My nephew spent 5 days in ICU 15 years ago and the bill was over $100,000.00. 5 days. This kid has had multiple surgeries, rehab, etc. he will also most likely need intensive counseling just to be able to go out in pubic without crippling fear.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:22 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I went to the ER for one night. It was 12k.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I was charged $300 for 3 tylenol during a recent visit to the ER. Gotta love the USofA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events