Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 08:14 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think few people realize the damage those shows leave in their wake.

I have extended family on my husband's side who live in the sticks, kind of ignorant folks, easily fooled.

They went on Maury Povich under the guise of a mother daughter makeover and fun weekend at a luxury hotel. It was something about heavy teens needing a wardrobe makeover. They were also promised a lot of upscale clothing,

Oh my gosh. After it aired, they had to move because she could no longer go back to the same middle school - the show was horrid.

They put her in horrible, skin tight, revealing clothes and told her to dance provocatively (out of sight of her mother, BTW), talked to her about being sexually active - which she wasn't, and filmed her crying that she was being bullied.

The footage that was positive - the love between mom and the girl - the beautiful new clothes and runway reveal of the girls, etc, was on the cutting room floor.

So after filming, they came back home and were bragging to everyone that they were on Maury and gave the date, and everyone watched.

I pretended - to this day - that I hadn't seen it.
Damn, i didn't know they did the guest like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Shows like Jeremy Kyle's show shouldn't be allowed. He's an absolutely disgusting man, exploiting his guests,he seems to enjoy it too...he's a sick sick man.
I hope his show dies off.
I feel sorry for the guy.....his mistake was going on the show.
The sad thing is lie detector tests are unreliable...sometimes inaccurate, and very very seldom (if ever) admissable in a court of law.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
In the nineties the Jenny Jones show tricked a mentally ill man which triggered him to murder another guest. That should have been the end of these shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Scott_Amedure

Old 05-15-2019, 09:59 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehawk31 View Post
I think the whole point of this life is you don't get to sum up his existance, never having known him, by being a judgmental "expert." Consider everyone that thinks you are like this...and bet it's a huge chunk of your family, you haven't got a clue what makes people tick, aside from what makes YOU tick. already think YOU are a jerk the way you responded. Have sympathy and empathy and stop pouncing on the first person you feel better than and degrading them even more.
The other thing is the guy was 63, I can understand and empathize with his decision - he wasn't up for facing old age alone. In any event, to rant about someone's decision to end their life is really sick, a normal person wouldn't do that.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:50 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Kind of sad he killed himself over a lie detector test. They're completely bogus and basically measure anxiety. With this guy's obvious mental health issues, it was likely his results were all over the place.

Sociopaths pass these tests and nervous types fail them. I would never take one, not even recreationally.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Kind of sad he killed himself over a lie detector test. They're completely bogus and basically measure anxiety. With this guy's obvious mental health issues, it was likely his results were all over the place.

Sociopaths pass these tests and nervous types fail them. I would never take one, not even recreationally.
He didn't killl himself over a lie detector test - he killed himself because his girlfriend dumped him. Why don't people take time to read stories before commenting? But anyway, I don't judge anyone for their suicides, especially senior citizens. Old age isn't an attractive prospect to me, even if you have lots of money and a spouse.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:19 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
He cheated on his girlfriend then blamed the show for the relationship ending?

FWIW I've met Jerry Springer in Sarasota, Florida a bunch of times (he used to be a regular in my husband's restaurant) and he is just the sweetest, nicest man.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:58 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
He cheated on his girlfriend then blamed the show for the relationship ending?

FWIW I've met Jerry Springer in Sarasota, Florida a bunch of times (he used to be a regular in my husband's restaurant) and he is just the sweetest, nicest man.
No he isn't.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:05 PM

880 posts, read 531,694 times
The shows been cancelled....about frigging time.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:05 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I’ve always hated these talk shows, even when I was a teenager and my friends thought they were hysterical. To me these were real people who were suffering and/or lacked the cognitive abilities to fully understand the ramifications of participating in the show. It just made me sad- still would if I watched them.

I’m surprised there haven’t been more suicides or other violent acts as a result of appearing on these shows. Most of the people who appear seem to already have mental struggles.

Why does most of the population love watching others be humiliated- be it on talk shows or reality shows? Why do we love a bully but mock those with empathy and compassion? Is it because most people are nasty and secretly wish they could say the things that are being g said? Or is it because it makes people feel better about the negative things in their own lives?
I don't think it's that they didn't understand the ramifications. Not always, at least.

Don't these participants get paid, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events