Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:17 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
did they not learn anything the first time around ?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/21/busin...ngs/index.html

"The company is bringing back a limited number of New Coke cans in honor of the upcoming third season of "Stranger Things," in which the product is featured.........And it wasn't easy to recreate the product: Coca-Cola had to reach into its archives to get the design of right, and dig through its vault to recover the recipe."
Obviously, they did.

The New Coke/Classic Coke thing was a massive success for Coca-Cola.

Coke was reformulated because Pepsi was increasingly eating into Coke's market share. New Coke was big. The controversy was big. The re-introduction of the original recipe, redubbed as Coke Classic, was big (so big that network news broke into regular programming to announce it). By the end of 1985, Coke had significantly increased its market share over Pepsi.

Obviously (despite some delusional claims to the contrary), Coke just got lucky. They weren't playing five-dimensional chess and planning everything that way. But publicity is publicity, and Coke got far, far more than they ever imagined. And by inadvertently depriving the market of (old) Coke, then dramatically bringing it back, they won and won big.

80s nostalgia is big right now. This is a safe move. Also, did you even read what you quoted? This isn't remotely analogous to what Coke did in 1985.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 09:05 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,516,151 times
i am a lifelong coca cola drinker. i remember how horrible new coke was. i remember how delighted i was when they brought back classic coke.

i understand they are doing this as a promotional thing, but i will NOT buy any of their new coke for old time's sake. that crap can sit on the shelf & rot.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:34 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
This is more about Stranger Things than Coke. New Coke wouldn't be re-happening without that show and the '80s nostalgia train. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement, and shrewd marketing on Coke's part. Stranger Things fans that are younger than ~30 aren't even going to remember New Coke. The ones in their ~40s will barely remember. And all the ones younger than 30 won't have a clue. Fans of that show are going to buy it for the novelty, not because they expect New Coke to new and improved.
I doubt that, NO ONE liked 'New Coke' when it came out, it was an instant flop, I dont think the result will be any different now.

It wont even be valuable as collectors items, because knowing the soda industry, Coke will probably make LOTS AND LOTS of it, so it wont be difficult to obtain for anyone.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:45 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
Quote:
It's a good move on their part to have a laugh at their expense. Of course, there are theories out there that New Coke was always a shrewd marketing campaign to begin with designed to fail and begin a push to bring back the "original."

Anything to get your name in the papers.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
If they really want to bring back a successful version of the drink,the one that had cocaine in it would probably sell faster than they could keep it stocked!

I just wonder where they got the cocaine back in the days when it was in the recipe?!!

Old 05-29-2019, 02:40 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
i am a lifelong coca cola drinker. i remember how horrible new coke was. i remember how delighted i was when they brought back classic coke.

i understand they are doing this as a promotional thing, but i will NOT buy any of their new coke for old time's sake. that crap can sit on the shelf & rot.
I also have been drinking the stuff forever and remember a hot day outside a convenience store somewhere in New Jersey (it even kind of looked like the place in the movie "Clerks") when I had my first taste of New Coke. It was terrible! Right then and there I said to myself that it wouldn't last and in only a few months the familiar stuff would be back called "Classic Coke." I had it almost right but reversed; I guess that's why I didn't make the big bucks of the marketing geniuses at the time.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:30 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:

What they learned the first time around was how much free publicity the media will give them.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:02 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:

I still remember the first time I tried that crap. Having been a lifetime Coke drinker since I was a kid, I was cautiously optimistic, and a bit excited to try it. First time I saw the New Coke in the store, I grabbed a case, and took it home. After refrigerating it, I got a can of old and new Coke out and sat down to taste the difference. I took my first sip of the New Coke and literally spit it out. It was the worst Cola I had ever tasted. Those generic no name Colas were a hundred times better. At that point I became a Pepsi drinker, until Coke Classic came back.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like it, until a few weeks later, and I was at a concert. The announcer came on stage to do the introduction. The first thing he said was, "We want to thank our sponsor Coca-Cola for making this possible. Please support them by buying drinks at the Coke stands in the back. So what do you all think of the New Coke?" That was a big mistake. It resulted in over one minute of universal booing. The announcer had to wait for the booing to die down, before continuing. At that point, I knew that New Coke was an epic FAIL.

Now, I don't drink any of it, so I could care less what they do with it.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:58 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,057 times
Quote:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/21/busin...ngs/index.html

"The company is bringing back a limited number of New Coke cans in honor of the upcoming third season of "Stranger Things," in which the product is featured.........And it wasn't easy to recreate the product: Coca-Cola had to reach into its archives to get the design of right, and dig through its vault to recover the recipe."
How hard could it have been? At the time they basically took the Diet Coke recipe and added high-fructose corn syrup to it

Old 05-29-2019, 01:10 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,896,864 times
The "old" Coke with real cane sugar was the best. My late grandma used to drink 5 or more bottles per day. Whenever I am in Colombia I partake of a glass or 3. Its so much better than USA Coca Cola with corn syrup. In 1986 the switch started. I stopped drinking it decades ago maybe in the 1970's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events