Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 01:38 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
This is more about Stranger Things than Coke. New Coke wouldn't be re-happening without that show and the '80s nostalgia train. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement, and shrewd marketing on Coke's part. Stranger Things fans that are younger than ~30 aren't even going to remember New Coke. The ones in their ~40s will barely remember. And all the ones younger than 30 won't have a clue. Fans of that show are going to buy it for the novelty, not because they expect New Coke to new and improved.

I'll be 31 in September, and I purchased a case. My Grandfather collected Coke bottles and cans; even had some of the green ones! He kept a few cans and bottles of New Coke, even though he knew it was doomed to be a failure. When I was little, he always told me: "Grandpa will give you this collection when it's time, along with my Hess holiday truck collection." So when I saw Coke was doing this for the show, I got excited, and ended up ordered a case. It's going right on one of my shelves in my man cave. I love Stranger Things, and I love the 80's and 90's, and all of it's nostalgic glory. I wasn't going to buy it, but I had a promo code that took $5 off, and I got free shipping. But having them next to my Grandfather's collection, who passed back in 2015, makes it priceless to me.

Last edited by DK736; 08-01-2019 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And that is what they wound up doing. For many years afterwards, it was sold as Coke II

It wasn't officially discontinued until 2002, though, here in the south, you could not find it at all, unless it was a specialty shop or something.

All in all, it had a longer life than many of Coke's products... Such as Coca-Cola Blak.. Anyone remember that abomination? Coffee flavored coke. Or this latest Orange Vanilla Coke.. Tastes like Dayquil with a hint of vanilla.

Tab Clear.. Their 'answer' to Crystal Pepsi.

I remember Coke Blak! I was in high school when it came out, but had trouble finding it in stores. One night, my Dad decided to order some Chinese food from our favorite place. We walked in and there it was in the cooler!! Dad knew I was on a mission for this so he bought one. Boy was I disappointed!! Yeah, horrible idea Coke!!! But I finished it and kept the bottle as a part of my collection.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I doubt that, NO ONE liked 'New Coke' when it came out, it was an instant flop, I dont think the result will be any different now.

It wont even be valuable as collectors items, because knowing the soda industry, Coke will probably make LOTS AND LOTS of it, so it wont be difficult to obtain for anyone.

It'll definitely be valuable as a collector's item, because it's being sold that way. You can't just walk into any grocery store and buy this case. You can only get it off Coke's website. You get two glass bottles and two cans, all bundled up inside a Stranger Things themed box. Not only did they use the original recipe to remake it, but they formulated it so that there was enough to make it through the summer. Ironically, when I ordered mine last week, they had a banner on their site stating that they only had X amount left, and that they might not make it to the end of August, as originally projected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events