Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 03:06 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,913,983 times

Advertisements

It’s hard to know exactly what is happening, but it does seem to be beyond just coincidence that 3 US tourists have died in the same time frame, who were by all accounts fine before they left???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 03:40 PM

22,681 posts, read 24,685,004 times
I am quite wimpy and not too adventurous..........so my list of places to never visit is quite large.

I have seen shows and read news about DR and similar areas, lots of crime, violent crime.......so sadly, this story does not surprise me. Scratch DR off my list.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:13 PM

9,386 posts, read 7,016,792 times
Why waste your money by going to a 3rd world country?

Go to Florida and have a vacation and support our economy. Sanibel/Captiva, Fort Myers Beach, Naples, and Marco Island are all beautiful islands to have a great vacation.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:18 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,093,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I just saw this story on CBS and they had pics of a different MD couple, a white guy and his Asian wife. WTF?
The Fiji couple was white and Asian. The Dominican Republic tourists were the black couple. The Fiji couple were younger too and in excellent health. All the deaths are very mysterious though.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:54 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,940,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree. Something is not adding up. They were at the bar earlier I read in another article. Drinks could have been dosed with a tasteless but lethal poison. Fentanyl, or too high dose scopolamine. The latter is used to get victims under control to easily rob them.
That's my bet too. Both the couple and woman had drinks prior to their deaths, the woman's immediately prior so may have been a higher dose or something different. The events are too remarkable for it to be coincidence; though possible, it's just not very likely. I'm anxious to hear the results of the domestic autopsies.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:47 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,880,822 times
Lots of illness and deaths in mexico tourist spots due to tainted alcohol

Old 06-09-2019, 07:22 PM

88,775 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
some of these places should be on the "do not visit radar ' seriously . It is a shame that these poor souls lost their lives . May they RIP.
But c'mon, the DR is a popular Caribbean destination that a couple million Americans visit for the beaches every year. Why should it be on the "do not visit radar"?

Trust me, they're going to look into this. Tourism is a huge part of their economy.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,035,584 times
Another man died in the DR back in April, after drinking from the minibar in his room at the Hard Rock Punta Cana.

Something is going on.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/domini...l-room-minibar

Old 06-09-2019, 08:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,035,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But c'mon, the DR is a popular Caribbean destination that a couple million Americans visit for the beaches every year. Why should it be on the "do not visit radar"?

Trust me, they're going to look into this. Tourism is a huge part of their economy.
The DR seems to be amongst the "cheapest" Caribbean options, which is why I think so many Americans go there. It's rather affordable, at least according to people I know who have been there and have been to other areas, or chose there over other areas. Looking into Caribbean vacations myself, I found the DR to a cheaper option as well. But it's known to be unsafe, it's been on my personal "do not visit radar" for that reason alone.

There have also been some recent-ish allegations about tainted alcohol at some resorts in Mexico. A lot of these Caribbean countries are a lot less regulated and overall a lot less safe than the US, and coverups more rampant and police work worse. People ideally should choose carefully where they vacation, but obviously cost matters a lot, which is why they often wind up choosing places that are "sketchier" with worse track records. I have no desire to go to Mexico or the DR.

The Caribbean in general has issues with safety but some places are definitely better than others in that regard.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:31 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,105,079 times
Except for cruises, where you always have the option to stay on the ship when in port, my feeling is there are so many things to see and do within the USA, that I could never do in one lifetime. Why risk going to third world countries where you can be putting yourself in needless danger?

And now David Ortiz gets shot in the DR?

I will be going on a cruise later this year that goes to Amber Cove in the DR, and I may well stay on board, even if they resolve these deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events