Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,491,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Another man died in the DR back in April, after drinking from the minibar in his room at the Hard Rock Punta Cana.

Something is going on.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/domini...l-room-minibar
Just heard this. They need to checkout where their liquor is coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 03:06 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Just heard this. They need to checkout where their liquor is coming from.
Yeah. I've only stayed once at an All-Inclusive resort. It was in Mexico. The room had this dispenser for liquor. Rum? Vodka? Two other things? I can't remember. I tasted one and it just wasn't right. This was a couple of years before all of these stories started coming out. We ended up not using the room dispensers at all, just had our cocktails (mostly stuck with bottled beer) at the restaurants and bars at the resort and in town. At the time I just thought the stuff out of the tap in our room tasted like really cheap liquor, we're too old to appreciate really bad liquor. Now I wonder what that stuff was.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
I've stayed at all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, but our minibar was always stocked with unopened (sealed) full size bottles of brand name liquor at check-in. I would not have accepted already opened liquor bottles. They could be putting anything in there, which could be the problem in at least some of these deaths. Home-distilled or even mass produced low quality liquor, though MUCH cheaper for the resort, can be toxic depending on ingredients, the pesticides used on the ingredients, pesticides used around the distillery facilities, etc.

The other deaths, I suspect, are probably related to overexposure to toxic pesticides on the resort premises such that isn't allowed in the US and other developed countries.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Remember this horrible story about pesticide poisoning at a St. John (US Virgin Islands) resort?

https://fox6now.com/2015/09/10/inves...t-walk-sit-up/

Old 06-12-2019, 10:34 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,491,591 times
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...el-room-report

Here's another death, Barbara Corcoran's brother.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:30 AM

264 posts, read 136,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I've stayed at all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, but our minibar was always stocked with unopened (sealed) full size bottles of brand name liquor at check-in. I would not have accepted already opened liquor bottles. They could be putting anything in there, which could be the problem in at least some of these deaths. Home-distilled or even mass produced low quality liquor, though MUCH cheaper for the resort, can be toxic depending on ingredients, the pesticides used on the ingredients, pesticides used around the distillery facilities, etc.

The other deaths, I suspect, are probably related to overexposure to toxic pesticides on the resort premises such that isn't allowed in the US and other developed countries.
i dont think you should use the US as standard for pesticide safety, The US uses ore banned pesticides than any other developed and even underdeveloped countries, especially more than Latin american countries, why?
Latam countries have to adhere to the very strict European pesticides regulations in order to export there, the US for the most part, do not, and uses ton of banned pesticides.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0606223504.htm

Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...el-room-report

Here's another death, Barbara Corcoran's brother.
It's all so scary. There is something wrong with the alcohol they are serving there.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:46 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
This is very disturbing. I have stayed at the very resorts in the DR that these deaths have occurred at. I had nothing but pleasant experiences, but I I haven't been in several years and won't be going back.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:16 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,571,815 times
Living in the U.S, I have plenty of places that I can visit and vacation without having to opt for a 3rd world country in order to save a few bucks and risk my life.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:36 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,848 times
All these people had current or former heart conditions. Whatever it is that was tainted, what was in it--a drug or pesticide or whatever--may be deadly to people with heart conditions. Explains why others weren't affected. The drug may be undetectable, perhaps. Just seems way too much for it to be coincidental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Living in the U.S, I have plenty of places that I can visit and vacation without having to opt for a 3rd world country in order to save a few bucks and risk my life.
I was never interested in those kinds of places outside the U.S (like the tropical islands/beaches and stuff like that). They never appealed to me. Now if for some reason Civil War sites became risky, I'd probably run the risk because of my love for those places. Just depends on what gets you and what really isn't your thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events