Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 04:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 37,024,427 times

Advertisements

A relatively young married couple dying of the same "natural cause" (pulmonary edema) is a hell of a coincidence and is certainly "out of the ordinary."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 11:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,120,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
A relatively young married couple dying of the same "natural cause" (pulmonary edema) is a hell of a coincidence and is certainly "out of the ordinary."
If you had actually read what I wrote, I said that it seems like the media is really hyping up these deaths. I never said they died of natural causes, but if an average of 12 Americans die each year in the DR, 9 Americans dying in the last year really shouldn't be as big of a story as it is. People have been dying for years, why is it suddenly front page news? Because the news media needs a big summer story. Some years its sharks, other years its the weather, but this year's sensationalized story is the DR.

Of course some of those deaths are suspicious, but all? It sounds bad when the media keeps lumping in all 9 deaths as if they all happened over the last few weeks. They didn't though, it's been since last June. People die everyday, even when on vacation. I used to work for a cruise line, we'd have the occasional guest die of a heart attack or some other natural cause. Cruise ships all have a morgue and body bags for a reason. It's sad and horrible to die while on what's supposed to be a fun and happy vacation, but unfortunately it happens.

Although I'm not sure I would consider 63 a young married couple... Yes, their death was suspicious, but I wouldn't be surprised if their age and health also played a part in their deaths.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:06 AM

26,639 posts, read 37,024,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If you had actually read what I wrote, I said that it seems like the media is really hyping up these deaths. I never said they died of natural causes, but if an average of 12 Americans die each year in the DR, 9 Americans dying in the last year really shouldn't be as big of a story as it is. People have been dying for years, why is it suddenly front page news? Because the news media needs a big summer story. Some years its sharks, other years its the weather, but this year's sensationalized story is the DR.

Of course some of those deaths are suspicious, but all? It sounds bad when the media keeps lumping in all 9 deaths as if they all happened over the last few weeks. They didn't though, it's been since last June. People die everyday, even when on vacation. I used to work for a cruise line, we'd have the occasional guest die of a heart attack or some other natural cause. Cruise ships all have a morgue and body bags for a reason. It's sad and horrible to die while on what's supposed to be a fun and happy vacation, but unfortunately it happens.

Although I'm not sure I would consider 63 a young married couple... Yes, their death was suspicious, but I wouldn't be surprised if their age and health also played a part in their deaths.
This wasn't about your post. The story linked in the OP claimed that the DR said this couple died of natural causes. That's what I was responding to. I barely skimmed your post.

And I didn't claim they were a "young married couple;" I said they were relatively young. Relatively young as in less likely to die from "natural causes." And they weren't both 63. One was 49.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-19-2019 at 01:14 AM..

Old 06-19-2019, 07:24 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,320,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post

Americans = 2 million visitors
Sick = let's say 50
Dead = let's say 20

Do the math!
I can assure you far more than 50 out of 2 million got sick. Outside of the big resorts (and maybe in them as well) hygiene is substandard.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:12 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,477,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

People die all over the world though … so why is it DR over all other places? We aren't hearing about these stories in other places … so something is up in the DR.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 06-19-2019 at 09:31 AM..

Old 06-19-2019, 09:20 AM

24,818 posts, read 17,567,386 times
When you think about it planning a trip to the DR would be a good way to murder your spouse. The investigation of his/her death would be shady and then you could turn around and sue the hotel.

I can't take credit for this idea, my wife actually came up with it....

Old 06-19-2019, 09:32 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,166,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I can assure you far more than 50 out of 2 million got sick. Outside of the big resorts (and maybe in them as well) hygiene is substandard.
It was an example. If 20,000 people get sick that is still only 1%.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:05 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,320,521 times
Lot of difference in 50 and 20,000. Not important but I suspect considerably more than 1% of tourists in the DR get sick during their visit.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 PM

106 posts, read 64,849 times
It all depends on who exactly conducts the investigation to find out the reasons for the suspicious death of people.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:13 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,303,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Foreigners hate Americans, especially with Dump in office They're just straight whacking people now by feeding them rat poison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events