Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 08:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I agree.

There's no point in offering sewing classes anymore either. Very few people sew out of necessity. Sewing these days, is a hobby. If you want to indulge your hobby, most fabric stores offer sewing lessons. A basic sewing machine is inexpensive enough, that you can try it and learn on it if you want.
I might beg to differ. I agree everyone doesnt need to be able to make their own clothes but sew on a button, sew up a seam or sew on a patch, sure would not hurt.
My family and friends bring me stuff all the time. My brother is an officer and always bringing me patches for his uniform, buttons to sew on it and even asks me to iron for him. He nor his wife will sew a lick or own an iron. I've seen her throw away perfectly good clothes because they were missing a button or needed just a 1/4 inch repair. (yes I'm a granny who has a huge box of random buttons from as far back as 1930).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 08:42 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I might beg to differ. I agree everyone doesnt need to be able to make their own clothes but sew on a button, sew up a seam or sew on a patch, sure would not hurt.
My family and friends bring me stuff all the time. My brother is an officer and always bringing me patches for his uniform, buttons to sew on it and even asks me to iron for him. He nor his wife will sew a lick or own an iron. I've seen her throw away perfectly good clothes because they were missing a button or needed just a 1/4 inch repair. (yes I'm a granny who has a huge box of random buttons from as far back as 1930).

I'm not saying it isn't a useful skill to have...but does it really need a high school class?

And I will venture to say, that if your sister in law REALLY wanted to know how to sew on a button or a patch she would've watched you or asked you to teach her. She's not interested in doing it.

I know how to darn socks. I don't plan to EVER darn a sock for the rest of my life.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 AM

734 posts, read 842,452 times
"Adulting"

Another trendy word that needs to go away.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Unless they're technical schools, high schools should stick to academics.

But I'm not surprised at this, since colleges and universities are now teaching reading and arithmetic.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm not saying it isn't a useful skill to have...but does it really need a high school class?

And I will venture to say, that if your sister in law REALLY wanted to know how to sew on a button or a patch she would've watched you or asked you to teach her. She's not interested in doing it.

I know how to darn socks. I don't plan to EVER darn a sock for the rest of my life.
I'm not advocating for adulting classes but I do believe these things should be incorporated into other classes. I think this is your stance as well. In my day we had home economics which covered basic cooking, sewing and home budgeting along with things I think were a waste of time. This class was mandatory in 8th grade as well as shop. We also had a general business class which covered banking and taxes and budgets.
I know my kids and grands have taken similar classes, they are called something else, life and wellness maybe.
I also agree people will learn to do things if they are interested in those things or it is a necessity. I think that is part of the problem that kids have so much done for them they dont have the need to learn nor the interest. Then they get out in the real world and realize they dont know how to do or understand basic tasks of daily living like shopping, basic cooking, laundry, cleaning, maintenance, checking breakers, checking oil in the car, budgeting their money.
We have technology now that takes away the necessity to learn how to actually do things or figure out how to do things for ourselves. We have phone apps that let us order food to be delivered or ready to pick up and apps that tell us how to get to where we want to go (which I love), apps for banking, etc. etc. Maybe that is good, IDK. It kind of worries me though. Seems like we are becoming dumber and helpless. Most people are just lost without their phones these days, myself included.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:58 AM

934 posts, read 1,128,062 times
Quote:
Yes there are lots of things I look up on Youtube, its g great and people arent going to know how to do everything but just how does a kid get to be a high school senior and have no idea how do do laundry or "cook" something in a microwave? Who are raising these kids, wolves?
Between home and school one would think graduates could do the basics like clean, cook, laundry, keep up with finances, make a doctors appt. and have some understanding of how things work.

Some of the things I've heard them say . My nephew for instance who just graduated this spring. He was going to go to a trades school on a grant. So he said "they dont (meaning the school) even buy your lunch or pay for your gas". When thinking about moving out and renting an apartment I heard him comment "You have to pay $350 rent, and you have to pay it the next month and the next month and every month.

I think kids are not being given any responsibilities at home, little is expected of them and they don't really care about knowing what is involved in having a roof over your head, a car to drive, clean clothes, food on the table. As well it would seem the schools are letting them down by not mandating basic classes like home economics and general business. In my world schools would also teach drivers education with a portion concentrating of auto maintenance and have a mock "adulting" class where students would have to find jobs, rent an apartment, pay bills, budget and even have a fake baby.

I think we need those classes. Your nephew is a perfect example. And he's not the one who's going to go to YouTube for an education either.

I mean theoretically I know how to change a tire, but I've never done it. And I'm 60 years old.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:19 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,127 times
This is what happens when high schools try to push useless things like Algebra 2 or chemistry in order to graduate because everyone needs to be "college-ready".

Old 06-07-2019, 01:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Unless they're technical schools, high schools should stick to academics.

But I'm not surprised at this, since colleges and universities are now teaching reading and arithmetic.
So no welding, wood shop, etc? Or are those considered academics?

Of course colleges teaching reading and arithmetic, lol, a lot of majors require such advanced learning in these areas.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:11 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Quote:

I think kids are not being given any responsibilities at home, little is expected of them and they don't really care about knowing what is involved in having a roof over your head, a car to drive, clean clothes, food on the table. As well it would seem the schools are letting them down by not mandating basic classes like home economics and general business. In my world schools would also teach drivers education with a portion concentrating of auto maintenance and have a mock "adulting" class where students would have to find jobs, rent an apartment, pay bills, budget and even have a fake baby.
I was in a school (sub) when health class had those fake babies in a carrier to both teach the kids about having a child and maybe teaching those kids that they may not want to have those babies so early in life.

They ended it after 2 weeks because too many of those "babies" got stuck in the basketball hoop in the gym.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I think we need those classes. Your nephew is a perfect example. And he's not the one who's going to go to YouTube for an education either.

I mean theoretically I know how to change a tire, but I've never done it. And I'm 60 years old.
I cant change a tire because I cant get the lug nuts off. They put them on so tight its almost impossible for us older and/or weaker folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events