Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 11:20 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Kids these days... sheesh... they just don't learn things we old folk know, like how to change TV channels without a remote, how to use a party-line telephone, and how to guard yourself against a hunting Pterodactyl.
This brings back memories. I think that my parents had children so that they didn't have to get up to change the TV channel.

Both of my parents were a bit limited in their skills (at least for a while) because of circumstance. Dad's father died when he was 10. Grandfather had grown up on a farm, and from what I've heard, could do just about anything.

Mom was a teen in England in the '40s. Gran restricted her to certain tasks and chores because she might waste or ruin something. If you burned dinner you were going to eat it because you couldn't replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 10:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Now, as for your nephew.. Maybe you're right. Perhaps it is a situation where they are given no responsibility. What is the situation with part time jobs after school now? are they even still available for high schoolers? Serious question.. Anyone I've known in high school the past 5 to 10 years has not had a part time job.
There are still fast food jobs. This particular nephew has been working part time at a Hardees. Not sure what his plans are now since the trades school wont buy his lunch or pay for his gas. LOL (its not funny). His mom works hard but she has always done just about everything for her kids instead of letting them figure out stuff on their own. Most of the kids in my area (unless their parents are wealthy) work part time jobs while in HS.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:44 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There are still fast food jobs. This particular nephew has been working part time at a Hardees. Not sure what his plans are now since the trades school wont buy his lunch or pay for his gas. LOL (its not funny). His mom works hard but she has always done just about everything for her kids instead of letting them figure out stuff on their own. Most of the kids in my area (unless their parents are wealthy) work part time jobs while in HS.

The kids i've been around have all been involved in at least one extracurricular activity at school.. Be it drama, band, sports or whatever and letgitimately don't have the time for an after school job. So.. Wasn't sure whether it was something that was still 'common' or not.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The kids i've been around have all been involved in at least one extracurricular activity at school.. Be it drama, band, sports or whatever and letgitimately don't have the time for an after school job. So.. Wasn't sure whether it was something that was still 'common' or not.
Thats true as well. A few of the FF places will be very flexible. Some kids are lucky enough to work for relatives.
my gson breaths basketball. He just got his license a few months ago but sports never stops. He will be apply for part time jobs in a few weeks. Probably wont get many hours though.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:10 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
This brings back memories. I think that my parents had children so that they didn't have to get up to change the TV channel.

Both of my parents were a bit limited in their skills (at least for a while) because of circumstance. Dad's father died when he was 10. Grandfather had grown up on a farm, and from what I've heard, could do just about anything.

Mom was a teen in England in the '40s. Gran restricted her to certain tasks and chores because she might waste or ruin something. If you burned dinner you were going to eat it because you couldn't replace it.
Its kind of funny when you think about it, Im of the age group, that in middle and high school, we had home ec classes, wood and metal shop, etc and they always told us we would need all these skills later on in life, as adults...

But if you look at some of the middle and high school 'specialty' classes today, they are doing the same thing, (its different types of classes,), sure, but how likely are these kids to use anything they are being taught, 20-30 later on life? LOL, ANYTHING related to computers or data, that is being taught in early high schoolers today, is going to be obsolete by the time they reach adulthood. kind of the same thing that happened with all those old home ec and wood shop classes....times change, and we really didnt need to learn those things after all, its odd how schools do not recognize this and see what they are doing today.

Of course, there was no way of foretelling what the future would be like back in the early and mid 80s, to see that we would not need all those skills, so I guess thats why they make the same mistake today with these kinds of classes, they are just guessing what skills will be needed or in demand.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:15 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Stating the obvious of course, but that's their choice...job or extracurricular activity. They can figure out which is more valuable. I'm guessing a job in many cases.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Stating the obvious of course, but that's their choice...job or extracurricular activity. They can figure out which is more valuable. I'm guessing a job in many cases.
A trade off for sure. I see the pros and cons of both choices.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:02 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times
Adulting should be taught by the parents LONG before they reach adulthood. Parents need to teach their kids to cook, clean, wash their clothes, pay bills, fill up the gas tank, etc., etc. These days, the parents cater to the kids, and, by doing so, handicap them. Depending on the educational system to do everything that parents can't (or won't) do is a slippery slope.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:29 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Adulting should be taught by the parents LONG before they reach adulthood. Parents need to teach their kids to cook, clean, wash their clothes, pay bills, fill up the gas tank, etc., etc. These days, the parents cater to the kids, and, by doing so, handicap them. Depending on the educational system to do everything that parents can't (or won't) do is a slippery slope.

Well, some stuff should just be absorbed. You ever watch any of the Youtube videos about parents taking their 15 to 16 year olds out and having them fill the gas tank?

I knew how to pump gas when I was 5 or so.. Just from watching others do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDv2_hCXgWs

Old 06-11-2019, 01:34 PM

17 posts, read 10,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Depends on your perspective. You only have 4 years (most kids) in high school. You will work for the rest of your life. Making 1500 bucks over a summer working part time isn't nearly as valuable in the long term as learning to work together towards a common goal (any athletic team) or creating lifelong friendships (networking for later in life). Maybe that classmate you meet at summer camp ends up being the guy who makes the final hiring decision for a job you are applying for.

I was an athlete in high school and also worked as many hours as possible at a fast food place starting the day I was legally old enough to work. You can balance both. The job paid for the extra training and summer camps to improve in the sport. Looking back after collecting 15 years of life experience after high school, if I had to choose between them, work can wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events