Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think they are a good idea. There are some basic things I would have loved to have learned.

Here are just a few suggestions of what I think would be helpful.

Filling out the EZ tax form
how to sew on a button and hem
hanging a picture and curtains
Simple recipes for when you don't have much money to spend and how to cook them... beans and rice, soup, eggs, etc.
Growing basic food plants like tomatoes
Basic cleaning and laundry
Time budgeting
How to set a table
Personal hygiene
These are things kids should learn from their parents. They’re everyday life skills. No need to involve the schools or taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
This is what happens when high schools try to push useless things like Algebra 2 or chemistry in order to graduate because everyone needs to be "college-ready".
Huh. Chemistry is useless. I’ll be sure to pass that on to my daughter the chemist. Part of HS (and college) is exposing kids to a variety of disciplines to see what they enjoy and may want to pursue. I’m glad she took Chemistry in HS. Her career in it pays a lot better than sewing on buttons or cooking dinner both of which she was able to learn easily without taking a class.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Huh. Chemistry is useless. I’ll be sure to pass that on to my daughter the chemist. Part of HS (and college) is exposing kids to a variety of disciplines to see what they enjoy and may want to pursue. I’m glad she took Chemistry in HS. Her career in it pays a lot better than sewing on buttons or cooking dinner both of which she was able to learn easily without taking a class.
Its great if your going to be a chemist.
How many projects were there between middle school and high school where you had to learn the periodic table and cell structure. How often do you use that on a daily basis?
How often do you drive, eat, wear clothes, etc.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its great if your going to be a chemist.
How many projects were there between middle school and high school where you had to learn the periodic table and cell structure. How often do you use that on a daily basis?
How often do you drive, eat, wear clothes, etc.
If we want to raise a generation of Uber drivers, cooks and tailors I would agree. IMO school should expose you to things that are not just learned by living life day to day. Since we don’t know which kids will like and excel at things like Chemistry, Math, History, Theater, Music etc., it’s vital they’re all exposed to these things.

I do think that requiring more than 1 Chemistry class at the HS level is unnecessary. Those who like it can go on to higher level and those that don’t can take other classes where they’ll hopefully find something they do enjoy.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
If we want to raise a generation of Uber drivers, cooks and tailors I would agree. IMO school should expose you to things that are not just learned by living life day to day. Since we don’t know which kids will like and excel at things like Chemistry, Math, History, Theater, Music etc., it’s vital they’re all exposed to these things.

I do think that requiring more than 1 Chemistry class at the HS level is unnecessary. Those who like it can go on to higher level and those that don’t can take other classes where they’ll hopefully find something they do enjoy.
Most high schools have preset courses for particular fields of study students are interested in. Thing is the majority of those kids arent going on to be chemist, mathematicians, physicians, curators, Historians, etc. Yes, kids need a well rounded education but that should also include general business:
(taxes, finance, loans, bank accounts, budgets, interviewing), a home economics of sorts: basic sewing, cooking, shopping, general home maintenance, basic car maintenance).

Whether or not kids should learn basic living skills at home is irrelevant. Many kids wont because of a variety of factors. Many kids have crap home lives with little adult guidance or parents who dont know these things themselves. We could say kids should be provided meals from home also but we feed them 3 meals a day at school, or parents should teach their kids about the birds and bee but we have sex ed, or they can exercise on their own time, but we have physical ed.
I dont understand the resistance to also providing a class on basic living skills.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Quote:

Amen. LOL

Old 06-12-2019, 11:56 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,835 times
"Experts showed students how to check their oil, hang pictures on a wall, wash and dry clothes and cook food in a microwave."

If a kid needs a class to learn how to do laundry or hang a picture then he really IS a moron. And whoever his parents/guardian is, is pretty much a waste of space.

It occurs to me why we have so many doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. from places like India, China, South Korea, Europe, and such. They learned how to push "Start" on a washing machine at an early age.

Last edited by Slater; 06-12-2019 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-12-2019, 12:29 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,835 times
I'm not sure what constitutes a "microwave and picture hanging expert", but it sounds interesting. At what point do you get to the Doctorate level stuff like cooking breakfast, walking the dog, or washing the car?

Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
"Experts showed students how to check their oil, hang pictures on a wall, wash and dry clothes and cook food in a microwave."

If a kid needs a class to learn how to do laundry or hang a picture then he really IS a moron. And whoever his parents/guardian is, is pretty much a waste of space.

It occurs to me why we have so many doctors, engineers, scientists, etc. from places like India, China, South Korea, Europe, and such. They learned how to push "Start" on a washing machine at an early age.
Well see there is more to laundry than pushing the start button.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,083 times
Between 2mares and UNC4me, I see both perspectives. On the one hand, at some point students would benefit immensely from having classes in those basic skills that many of us adults take for granted. Personally, I wish I had taken some basic home skills classes when I was younger, to learn some things about working on my own home instead of having contractors do it for me.

On the other hand, courses like chemistry and other sciences are not useless at all, no matter the path the student takes later. Even if the student doesn't retain much in the way of facts, there is a great deal of value in the problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are learned in these classes. Truth be told, I'd say there is a deficit of critical thinking and problem-solving skills evident in many areas today that demonstrate a greater need for those types of classes, not a lesser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events