Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 05:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Thank you for catching that. I must have read it too quick. Found the original article I first read.
Circuit court....turned into supreme court by me being too quick (and careless).

And I also should have posted a link to that article and my faux pas would have been caught earlier.
It's also my understanding that the July ruling has since been vacated and that the case is in the process of being reheard.

Not a fan of TSA myself. Never really had a problem, but there are a couple of them at the Ketchikan airport who are a bit too self-important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 06:14 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sympathy ploy. "Grandma" sounds much worse than a childless woman of the same age.

She can't be that old if she was wearing a "feminine hygiene product", unless she means for incontinence.
My wife is 58 and wears a pad because she still has secretions from time to time. My mother wore a pad after she had a hysterectomy for the same reason.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:32 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not all terrorists look like terrorists (whatever that means). Google Daniel Patrick Boyd. A good ole' North Carolina boy who also happened to be a Muslim jihadist.
I absolutely understand this, and I am the first to complain about "racial profiling" or "religious profiling" or whatever ... but still.

As part of our class on immigration, I took my honors students (college students) to the UK on May 12th. Just before we entered the security area at Logan Airport, I said, "OK, prepare to get groped." A couple of my students looked horrified that I had said such a thing, but I wasn't being funny or facetious -- I was simply acknowledging that EVERY TIME I go through airport screening, I am "selected" for the lovely hand-groping. I suspect it is because I have "overly" fat thighs, which I have had since I was a teenager many many decades ago (comes from being female, you know, with some muscle being added after 20-something years of running), but still, it's annoying as he** ... because, come on, I'm a 60-year-old college professor who grew up in the U.S. military, for crap's sake. I am about the least likely "terrorist" you can imagine.

Oh, but that doesn't matter, does it ... because maybe there are other 60-year-old college professor terrorists who grew up in the military and then, what, decided they hate their country and want to blow up a bunch of innocent flyers one day? I mean, seriously?

It has gotten freakin' NUTS.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:02 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times
I feel bad for the woman; however, the possibility of being searched when we fly is today's reality, and she would have as much of a chance of winning a lawsuit against TSA as finding s**t under a rocking horse.

Personally, if TSA wants to do a search on me, I say, bring it on. But they'll only look once...

Old 06-09-2019, 07:06 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
I feel bad for the woman; however, the possibility of being searched when we fly is today's reality, and she would have as much of a chance of winning a lawsuit against TSA as finding s**t under a rocking horse.
Except that she says she was STRIP SEARCHED. As annoyed as I am every time I am groped by some TSA person (as related in my post right above yours), I at least have never been STRIP SEARCHED -- which even TSA says they DO NOT DO.

THAT is the difference in this woman's lawsuit. (Whether you believe her or not is a different thing ... I tend to believe her.)

Old 06-09-2019, 07:13 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
My wife is 58 and wears a pad because she still has secretions from time to time. My mother wore a pad after she had a hysterectomy for the same reason.
Good point. Yes, I took it to mean something related to menstruation.

But it turns out she is 51, and I still had not reached menopause at that age.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good point. Yes, I took it to mean something related to menstruation.

But it turns out she is 51, and I still had not reached menopause at that age.
Me either. It seems it was a menstrual pad. How humiliating.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:54 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Also so what if she's a grandma? That's irrelevant to the story.

There's a woman in my neighborhood who became a grandmother at age 33. She looked so young at that time, she still had to show ID to buy alcohol. She and her 30 year-old daughter and 14 year-old granddaughter sometimes get mistaken for all being sisters.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:33 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
We need to stop these types of searches and get a better system to replace the current TSA.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
These types of searches would have never started in a country that hadn't lost its way a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events