Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2019, 07:14 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,484,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Unfortunately the go fund me is gone where it had the post by the son on what was said to the mother. Apparently the "guy" could see her privates were shaved, said he's never had sex with someone shaved and that he may have his way with her... So he just took her for having some company? He didn't want to have sex with her after all?
Apparently he wasn't too determined. Maybe he was drunk/stoned and that hindered his ability to catch her. Maybe he stumbled on a rock chasing her.

To me this is one of the more difficult parts of the story to believe. Especially when she is so petite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 07:16 AM

17,416 posts, read 11,420,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
And.... why did she get out of the car with the dog in the first place ?
It's one thing to get out of the car and a very different thing to go wandering off into the wilderness while your husband leaves for a few minutes to park. It's something a small child would do.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:17 AM

4,422 posts, read 3,507,581 times
Love how the brilliant fiancée wrote “womxn” instead of women. She hates men that much? Oh sorry—White men.

And as the daughter of a mom who had dementia I don’t need her speaking on my mother’s behalf.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 11 days ago)

35,988 posts, read 18,271,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I must say that was the first time I have ever seen "white cis het" written anywhere. I think it is actually kind of sad that I knew what that meant without having to look it up.
I had to look it up. And "womxn". I feel woke now! ;D

The interesting point is, adding those two terms completely negates her narrative. It's as if she's addressing the crowd with a p hat on. Makes you go hmmmm. Not a neutral witness.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:20 AM

23,935 posts, read 33,800,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Apparently he wasn't too determined. Maybe he was drunk/stoned and that hindered his ability to catch her. Maybe he stumbled on a rock chasing her.

To me this is one of the more difficult parts of the story to believe. Especially when she is so petite.
I don't see how he even saw she was shaved there. I'm reading so many different things; he grabbed her, putting nail marks on her wrist; I'm reading she stayed with him then ran. I'm also seeing she some how ran away from him after he originally grabbed her.

The daughter said the dog has a bad leg, can't run. I've read the dog did run after her. I've read she carried the dog.

I've read experienced camper; some say hiker.

Everyone brought up great points about the cactus.

I especially agree, the whole family has had their 15 minutes of fame, go dark and save face. Obviously LE do not believe the attacker story. All they found were her foot prints from everything I've read.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:23 AM

6,528 posts, read 6,742,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I had to look it up. And "womxn". I feel woke now! ;D

The interesting point is, adding those two terms completely negates her narrative. It's as if she's addressing the crowd with a p hat on. Makes you go hmmmm. Not a neutral witness.
I thought that was just a typo. I googled it after reading a couple of comments about it here.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:24 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,484,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

Yes, that is puzzling. ESPECIALLY since the law enforcement's FB page update from July 16 said that "now that Mrs. Powell is safe, our concern is for public safety" referring to her report of an attacker.

If public safety is such a concern you would think there would be a sketch and some additional searching of the area.
She gave them a description filled with details for such a short encounter. But to me the whole collection of details amounted to not much because the sum total amounted to someone so vague it could be millions of men.

She didn't come up with one single unusual feature...….even something like close or wide set eyes, very thin lips, etc. Nothing that would help pick him out of a crowd.

The other thing that really bothered me is that she described his shirt as dark green. That was the same color shirt she was wearing in the GMA interview right before they said she was going to the Sheriff to meet with the sketch artist.

Dark green doesn't seem a hugely popular color to me. Coincidence she just happened to be wearing the same color she described on her attacker? Seemed odd to me.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:32 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,630,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's one thing to get out of the car and a very different thing to go wandering off into the wilderness while your husband leaves for a few minutes to park. It's something a small child would do.

Huh? ^^

OK, let's try this question again.

Why did she get out of the car in the first place; he was parking the car at a designated spot near their campsite to begin with, he didn't 'leave' per se.

I'm not buying the excuse that the dog had to go potty, so she needed to wander off. Was the dog that bashful that he needed privacy ?

Old 07-18-2019, 07:39 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 11 days ago)

The possibility that against all odds, this story might actually be true, is bothering me.

And in that case, it makes for a cautionary tale that might start a conversation about how to behave when a would be attacker approaches you while your husband is right there in earshot.

Don't comply silently.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Huh? ^^

OK, let's try this question again.

Why did she get out of the car in the first place; he was parking the car at a designated spot near their campsite to begin with, he didn't 'leave' per se.

I'm not buying the excuse that the dog had to go potty, so she needed to wander off. Was the dog that bashful that he needed privacy ?
I think they were in search of an appropriate tent site; this wasn't a cordoned off area with numbered and marked tent pads.

So he parked the car on the road so they could scout the area together. When they located a site they wanted to use, he walked the very short distance to the car to repark it so they could pitch camp, while she stayed under the tree at the site to stay cool.

Or anyway, that's what'd been described early on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events