Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2019, 05:59 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
Tried to rep you. Thanks!

From your article, this is almost humorous. Who hikes in a bikini? I do hope she is found safe.

"Robert said he believes his wife, who was wearing a bikini and carrying a beer in her hand, might have been picked up while crossing the road to get back to their trailer and taken to Las Vegas."
Not only that, but who would hike in the Mojave at the peak of the summer season, or in summer, at all? IMO it's asking for trouble. People, couples, a family, even, have died when their water ran out, and they became disoriented, or took the wrong trail to get back to their car.

The article says, that search parties have already combed the area; this does not bode well, at all. Who would pick up a white-haired senior citizen? I shudder to think! Bad choice of hiking attire. You never know whom you might run into out there. And people hiking together in a place like that, or anywhere, shouldn't allow themselves to become separated. I think this thread's main topic makes that point, as well (to bring this back to topic).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 07:15 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,454,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
So the whole thing sounds made up.

I'm voting for domestic dispute (husband grabbed her arm) she fled when he drove off to move the car. She stayed hidden and ignored his calls. After spending a night out there she woke up and realized she wasn't sure what direction to go so down seemed the best choice. Then she got into trouble without food or water.
Anything is possible, but I cant see someone calling police after just an hour if they knew their spouse stormed off on their own because they were mad.

There was plenty of daylight left. Seems like he would have waited longer.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:27 PM

14,352 posts, read 11,747,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Anything is possible, but I cant see someone calling police after just an hour if they knew their spouse stormed off on their own because they were mad.

There was plenty of daylight left. Seems like he would have waited longer.
On the other hand, if the whole thing was staged, he'd give her an hour to get well away before calling.

I've come to think that when found, she seemed suspiciously healthy and happy for someone who'd just spent four days in the wilderness with insufficient water and no food (I hardly think the cactus counts), and so did the dog. All that supposed trekking around at night in that rough, rocky terrain, and it seems she barely had a scratch on her.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,292,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Have you ever tried this? (clearly not). They are not just laying around waiting to be "picked up." They are firmly attached. You cut them off with a serrated knife by sawing at it. The skin is tough like leather and the spines and hairs are nasty. If you did manage to break one off without getting poked (harder than you would think to accomplish), you cannot just put it in your mouth with the spines still attached. It is not soft and biteable like an apple, you have to cut through the skin to get at the pulp inside. You also have to remove the airs. The hairs cause a condition similar to a rash on your hands. I cannot imagine what it would do to your mouth. Even the insides of the tails are not something you just munch on, They are tough and you have to remove the spine hair and skin to eat them. It is a PIA but not impossible to do with tools, but not with bare hands.

Imagining eating one based on photos is pretty easy. The reality is a bit different.
yep - They also have like invisible spines - lol. You think it is okay to grab them, but no.

People around here in south texas make jelly out of them. We would harvest the new tender cactus pads in the spring. It was eaten during the Lenten season. My mom would go out to the "back acre" and cut the new pads. Those weren't too bad since the spines were very supple. She would cut off the little spines, dice up the pads, boil them to get rid of the gummy taste and then cook them with eggs and other things. They are tasty if you cook them just right.

The pears are sweet if you cut them open with a sharp knife.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,029,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
On the other hand, if the whole thing was staged, he'd give her an hour to get well away before calling.

I've come to think that when found, she seemed suspiciously healthy and happy for someone who'd just spent four days in the wilderness with insufficient water and no food (I hardly think the cactus counts), and so did the dog. All that supposed trekking around at night in that rough, rocky terrain, and it seems she barely had a scratch on her.
I agree. That the dog survived at all - much less survived in apparent perfect health - is odd.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,292,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Glochids. I have never seen that word before. Is that the hair?I googled it but the definition is not clear.

a barbed bristle on the areole of some cacti.

Definition of areole. : a round or elongated often raised or depressed area on a cactus which is equivalent to a bud and from which spines, flowers, stems, or roots grow.

Still not clear. Glochids must be either spines or hair, not sure which one.
When you touch them you will know -

Happy that i now know what they are called. Those mysterious soft looking hairy spines.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
From your article, this is almost humorous. Who hikes in a bikini? I do hope she is found safe.

"Robert said he believes his wife, who was wearing a bikini and carrying a beer in her hand, might have been picked up while crossing the road to get back to their trailer and taken to Las Vegas."
Ugh now we need a separate thread for this one.

The article says the couple became "suddenly separated" as he stopped to take a picture and she went ahead until she was out of his sight.

I just don't understand how these people hike. When I go with someone else. I stay close to them, for safety's sake above all and just because that's the point of the trip.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,029,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Ugh now we need a separate thread for this one.

The article says the couple became "suddenly separated" as he stopped to take a picture and she went ahead until she was out of his sight.

I just don't understand how these people hike. When I go with someone else. I stay close to them, for safety's sake above all and just because that's the point of the trip.
My husband is a picture taker, and I often will hike on ahead, especially if I'm tired and hot. I don't want to keep stopping prolonging the experience, and he can run to catch up.

Also, if we come to an off-shoot of the hike (or the very end of a non-circular hike) and the last bit is particularly difficult, I'll wait that out and join them when they come back down from scrambling up the side of a hill. And also I won't go wandering off into the brush while they're out of sight.

I don't really think I'm at risk for being hiked back out of there a mile or so against my will.

I really don't understand why he thinks someone picked her up and took her to Vegas, though. Odd.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,454,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Well technically she was only missing for 72 hours which is 3 days.

I don't count the apparent one cactus either(unless she managed to eat the whole thing lol). That was curious to me that if she was able to eat one by smashing it with a rock why didn't she eat more.

In any case, she's tiny. She probably never eats more than a 1000 calories a day if that. Three days is not much longer than a juice cleanse or a fast lol and we know she had spring water no matter how stagnant.

Plus, she and the dog may have been well fed and well hydrated when their adventure started. It was already 2 pm so they probably stopped someplace for a nice lunch on the way.

She really only missed dinner, one whole day of meals, and breakfast/lunch the last day......then she was in the hospital getting IV fluids. Depending how they feed the dog, she may have only missed 2 meals and was getting her turkey treat rations to tide her over lol.

I don't think and have never thought it was staged. I'm down to it happened as she says for the most part or she let the dog loose, Miley got away from her, she went chasing after her and got lost and made up the assailant story to cover embarrassment or because she was afraid they would get billed for the SAR costs.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 PM

14,352 posts, read 11,747,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
She really only missed dinner, one whole day of meals, and breakfast/lunch the last day......then she was in the hospital getting IV fluids. Depending how they feed the dog, she may have only missed 2 meals and was getting her turkey treat rations to tide her over lol.
Well, not that it really matters, but you lost a day in there. She missed meals on Friday night, all of Saturday, all of Sunday, and she was found Monday afternoon. I'm speaking for myself when I say that if you're small, thin, and active, that's a long time to go without food. I'm also about 120 lbs and I eat way more than 1000 calories a day, because being thin and very active means your metabolism is working fast and you do not have much in the way of fat stores to tide you over. She claimed to be exhausted and "too weak to walk" when found, which I believe, but all I'm saying is she sure perked up awfully fast after that and was all smiles and ready to give media interviews in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events