Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 12:45 PM

102,362 posts, read 108,650,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'll be shocked if she was even with him. Hopefully they track his cell and look for local video to see if they see the camper. Should search his credit card too.
But there's a photo of her in her bikini, with desert land in the background...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 01:03 PM

23,935 posts, read 33,800,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But there's a photo of her in her bikini, with desert land in the background...?
I totally missed that lol I wonder if it is recent and just because he has the photo doesn't mean it was from that day. He still could have killed her. Wish there was more online about them

Here is a better article Missing Hiker's Husband Says Police Are Eyeing Him As Suspect

Old 07-19-2019, 01:19 PM

102,362 posts, read 108,650,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I totally missed that lol I wonder if it is recent and just because he has the photo doesn't mean it was from that day. He still could have killed her. Wish there was more online about them

Here is a better article Missing Hiker's Husband Says Police Are Eyeing Him As Suspect
I don't know if the search involved only helicopters, or if there was a ground crew. But I don't see any way of hiding or disposing of a body out there. Maybe if it were only helicopters, they could have missed signs of disturbed earth over a grave. IDK, but that would be tough digging in that heat.

I clicked the link on that Crime-reporters page, that went to an article on Powell. Here's a story element I missed, earlier:

Quote:
Her son, Greg Powell, told The Orange County Register his mother ran for hours from the balding, middle-aged man she encountered.
Ran for hours? But only got 2 miles in those hours?

Somebody was either exaggerating, or lying. I don't even know how someone could keep running for hours in 80-degree weather, but maybe that's just me.

And then she claimed to continue "traveling" the next two nights?

No wonder people don't believe her.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:25 PM

14,425 posts, read 11,892,967 times
Quote:

Somebody was either exaggerating, or lying. I don't even know how someone could keep running for hours in 80-degree weather, but maybe that's just me.

It's rough terrain, I doubt she was on any trail, but still... "Running for hours" could, if you stretch it, mean "on the run." Like she ran a little, hid, rested, looked around to see if the coast was clear, and then moved on. That kind of running. More like running from the law and less like running for your life.

No way was she actually flat-out running for hours. For one thing, there wouldn't be any need. If someone is pursuing you so closely that you are actually running, one of two things will happen: they will overtake you, or they will give up. It's not going to take hours for either the 60-year-old woman or the burly man to get too tired to physically keep running. No one has said she ran marathons, have they?

The "traveling" over the next two nights completely baffles me too. In two nights she should either have been back at the campground or been a lot farther in the opposite direction.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know if the search involved only helicopters, or if there was a ground crew. But I don't see any way of hiding or disposing of a body out there. Maybe if it were only helicopters, they could have missed signs of disturbed earth over a grave. IDK, but that would be tough digging in that heat.

I clicked the link on that Crime-reporters page, that went to an article on Powell. Here's a story element I missed, earlier:

California Camper Survives Days In Remote Wilderness After Fleeing Knife-Wielding Attacker

Old 07-19-2019, 01:38 PM

4,363 posts, read 2,272,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's rough terrain, I doubt she was on any trail, but still... "Running for hours" could, if you stretch it, mean "on the run." Like she ran a little, hid, rested, looked around to see if the coast was clear, and then moved on. That kind of running. More like running from the law and less like running for your life.

No way was she actually flat-out running for hours. For one thing, there wouldn't be any need. If someone is pursuing you so closely that you are actually running, one of two things will happen: they will overtake you, or they will give up. It's not going to take hours for either the 60-year-old woman or the burly man to get too tired to physically keep running. No one has said she ran marathons, have they?

The "traveling" over the next two nights completely baffles me too. In two nights she should either have been back at the campground or been a lot farther in the opposite direction.
If she truly was off trail and if the terrain was rough, then she ain't running. And what sense does it make if she was SO paranoid about a guy chasing her that she would stop and rest - that just give her supposed chaser to catch up. That makes no sense at all.

And if the part about running IS true, then after two hours, she would definitely be further than 2 miles away.

Heck, I can leisurely walk 1 mile in 20 minutes, so two hours would be 6 miles.

So if you are also implying that she was not a marathon calibre athlete and neither was her pursuer then their relative speed and conditioning are equal.

Nothing about these speculations or the story or current accounts from her or her family make any sense.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:48 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,744,001 times
Quote:
This disappearance appears to have occurred in the Mojave National Preserve. Numerous articles cite the Kelbaker/Hidden Hills area. Kelbaker is a road that runs mostly through the preserve, and 'Hidden Hill' is a mining complex a few miles east of Kelbaker Road. The location of the disappearance is cited as being '20 miles north of I-40', which doesn't jibe with any combination of Kelbaker and Hidden Hills, but from the description of the area, the size of the Mojave National Preserve (1.5 million acres), the fact that almost everything north of I-40 is within the preserve for many dozens of miles, and the fact that the preserve has a lot of hiking destinations, that's probably where this occurred.

There are tons of places to dispose of a body in the Mojave National Preserve. There are rocky outcroppings everywhere. There are several mountain ranges in the preserve, some topping 7000'. There are washes, gullies, rocky canyons. There are caves, abandoned dwellings, and countless mine shafts. Yes, there's a lot of desert fan, which would easily reveal disturbed digging, but that is by no means is that all, or even most, of the terrain within the preserve. Throw a body down a vertical shaft, cover it with rocks in a rocky area, place it under an old abandoned shack, or vehicle, or simply debris (there's lots of junk around mines) - aerial surveys aren't going to find it.

If someone wanted to conceal a body in the Mojave Desert, and if someone was halfway competent at doing so, it could be done to high confidence of success.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
If she truly was off trail and if the terrain was rough, then she ain't running. And what sense does it make if she was SO paranoid about a guy chasing her that she would stop and rest - that just give her supposed chaser to catch up. That makes no sense at all.

And if the part about running IS true, then after two hours, she would definitely be further than 2 miles away.

Heck, I can leisurely walk 1 mile in 20 minutes, so two hours would be 6 miles.

So if you are also implying that she was not a marathon calibre athlete and neither was her pursuer then their relative speed and conditioning are equal.

Nothing about these speculations or the story or current accounts from her or her family make any sense.
Which nothing makes sense. The cops wee there, they were calling for her. I'd think if a dude did have her he'd let her go and GTFO of there.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:58 PM

14,425 posts, read 11,892,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
After their initial encounter--whatever happened there--she supposedly saw a chance to escape from him, and ran away. We have no evidence that the man chased her at all! She could have run, say, down the slope and around a pile of rocks. That could have been the last time she ever saw him. But she was too scared to stay in one place, and too scared to go back, so she kept moving on as best she could, and kept this up for hours. I can sort of see this happening, and it would involve some resting. She's repeatedly said she was scared and didn't want to encounter him again so she kept "running" in the opposite direction.

Again, I'm wondering if the man gave chase at all. I'm thin and fairly athletic and yet the average man who was in decent shape wouldn't have a lot of trouble catching up with me within a few yards if he cared to. No matter what the terrain.

I suspect that if there was a man, as soon as she got away from him and he heard the husband yelling and the car horn honking, he would just beat it out of there. What incentive would there have been for him to stick around and encounter the husband? And I dare say he wouldn't be particularly inclined to keep running after her at that point anyway. No, he would just head sideways back to wherever he came from. IF he existed. There are just so many holes and improbabilities in this story.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:38 PM

131,536 posts, read 12,317,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
After their initial encounter--whatever happened there--she supposedly saw a chance to escape from him, and ran away. We have no evidence that the man chased her at all! She could have run, say, down the slope and around a pile of rocks. That could have been the last time she ever saw him. But she was too scared to stay in one place, and too scared to go back, so she kept moving on as best she could, and kept this up for hours. I can sort of see this happening, and it would involve some resting. She's repeatedly said she was scared and didn't want to encounter him again so she kept "running" in the opposite direction.

Again, I'm wondering if the man gave chase at all. I'm thin and fairly athletic and yet the average man who was in decent shape wouldn't have a lot of trouble catching up with me within a few yards if he cared to. No matter what the terrain.

I suspect that if there was a man, as soon as she got away from him and he heard the husband yelling and the car horn honking, he would just beat it out of there. What incentive would there have been for him to stick around and encounter the husband? And I dare say he wouldn't be particularly inclined to keep running after her at that point anyway. No, he would just head sideways back to wherever he came from. IF he existed. There are just so many holes and improbabilities in this story.

Maybe in her mind, she & her shaved parts are irresistible. ( sarcasm)

Much if it makes no sense whatsoever. I hope the people who donated, do get a refund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events