Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 09:53 AM

151 posts, read 107,142 times

Advertisements

My observation........When my Walmart was 90% cashier lanes, I many times avoided certain lanes because the cashier I recognized from previous experience to be VERY SLOW and VERY careless.

I recognized certain cashiers who were FAST and could get 3 carts thru in the time it took the slow one to do two carts....(close to same size )

What I have now realized withe NEW remodeling and only 6 cashier lanes left is that rarely are all six open and the SLOW cashiers are assigned to the lanes.

The women who were the best/fastest cashiers are now assigned as monitors at the new self scan stations.

This is another way Walmart is " encouraging" customers to use the self scan by assigning the slowest cashiers to the cashier lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 10:36 AM

17,189 posts, read 15,390,629 times
I've forgotten a small item or two in the self-checkout before... Minor things, like some $2 toy or something that was at the bottom of the cart.

Mainly though, the issue is not knowing how to find the item no the screen. Okay, so I have an onion. The one I picked isn't coming up, or I can't find it. So instead of asking Tinkerbell, who is busy chatting away on her phone, staring in the other direction, for assistance, I just ring it up as a yellow onion. It's probably cheaper. In that sense, I guess I'm technically "stealing."

Old 07-29-2019, 10:57 AM

344 posts, read 346,735 times
One summer years ago, a cute checker at Safeway was very friendly and when I got home I noticed she hadn't scanned my bottle of wine. As a poor student I was shocked and delighted. So, I went back a few days later to the same checker, all smiles and winks and whatnot. She slide the wine right past the scanner without a beep. Wonderful!

This went on all summer and I nervously brought more and more expensive wines to this nice girl. My friends noticed I was bringing some pretty upscale wines to parties, etc. I think I got up to around $80/bottle before I got scared and gave up. Was fun while it lasted, though.

At the same grocery store I had a friend who would simply walk out if the lines were too long. He had no patience. He said it was their fault if they couldn't run the store right. He would stroll right out the front door with a full basket of groceries. He was lucky not to get caught. I refused to go in the store with him and would wait in the "getaway" car.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
At the same grocery store I had a friend who would simply walk out if the lines were too long. He had no patience. He said it was their fault if they couldn't run the store right. He would stroll right out the front door with a full basket of groceries. He was lucky not to get caught. I refused to go in the store with him and would wait in the "getaway" car.
Hahahaha!!!! That's terrible, yet hilarious.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:01 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,601,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
My observation........When my Walmart was 90% cashier lanes, I many times avoided certain lanes because the cashier I recognized from previous experience to be VERY SLOW and VERY careless.

I recognized certain cashiers who were FAST and could get 3 carts thru in the time it took the slow one to do two carts....(close to same size )

What I have now realized withe NEW remodeling and only 6 cashier lanes left is that rarely are all six open and the SLOW cashiers are assigned to the lanes.

The women who were the best/fastest cashiers are now assigned as monitors at the new self scan stations.

This is another way Walmart is " encouraging" customers to use the self scan by assigning the slowest cashiers to the cashier lanes.
By the same token, I find customers who use self-check tend to be tech savvy and swift. Those in the cashier checkout slow to load groceries, rarely bag their groceries and use numerous coupons. Why would I want to be behind someone like that?

Old 07-29-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
By the same token, I find customers who use self-check tend to be tech savvy and swift. Those in the cashier checkout slow to load groceries, rarely bag their groceries and use numerous coupons. Why would I want to be behind someone like that?
I've been behind tons of nincompoops at the self-checkout...

And then, of course, there are those buying beer who need to wait for a worker to clear them, hence defeating the whole purpose of self-checkout...

Old 07-29-2019, 11:25 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-banana-trick-and-other-acts-of-self-checkout-

thievery?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Although there are cameras trained on each self service checkout, it would be easy to not scan everything. I buy 24-48 cans of cat food at a time, and have to scan each one individually. It is so easy to lose track of where you are in the count, that I recheck what is on the screen to make sure I scanned each one. So, I can see how someone could "mistakenly" pretend to be scanning something and then slip it into a bag.

But, in the minds of the grocery stores, they are saving money by not paying a cashier, so it is a wash if people steal a little.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:40 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
It's theft, obviously.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:54 AM

151 posts, read 107,142 times
" they are saving money by not paying a cashier"

It appears that the "savings" are used to pay the wages of Walmart employees to do the shopping of the call-in orders and deliver the groceries to the cars.

THAT part of Walmart has really caught on.

But, are those NEW customers or just Walmart customers who decided it is easier for them to let Walmart employees cater to them....push the cart with the grocery list and deliver it to their car?

I'm sure time will tell how profitable it is for Walmart to have THEIR employees do the tasks us customers do/used to do.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:57 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,601,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I've been behind tons of nincompoops at the self-checkout...

And then, of course, there are those buying beer who need to wait for a worker to clear them, hence defeating the whole purpose of self-checkout...
Even so, there are various self-check out stations vs. getting stuck in one cashier check out lane after unloading groceries behind a "nincompoop".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events