Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 03:43 PM

151 posts, read 107,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
It is theft, plain and simple. We are not little children who don't know any better. It is theft.

In all likelihood it will be profitable for Walmart and convenient for those who can afford to have this service performed for them. For those of us who still do our own shopping we will be compensating for those customers who do not because we will be doing the "task" Walmart employees used to do by using the self checkout. This is the future whether we like it or not.

Personally, I do not want a Walmart employee doing my shopping because if I decide I want collard greens instead of romaine lettuce because one is in better shape visually...I can change my grocery list to reflect that.

I also prefer not to use self checkout because I already have a job and do not want another one. In regards to returning carts to the coral, I will do that out of respect for the safety and well being of other shoppers and their vehicles. Rain or shine regardless of the weather I will do it. What other people choose to do, obviously, I have no control over.

I might add that I give thanks that I am physically able (Baby Boomer) to do my own shopping, return carts and use self checkout...if I must.
"convenient for those who can afford to have this service performed for them "

"afford" ?

This service is FREE which means the grocery bill for that pick up is the SAME if THEY do the shopping, scanning, bagging, deliver to your car or YOU do the shopping, do the scanning, bag your groceries and deliver them to your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:01 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I guess this isnt too surprising, that so many people are 'gaming' the grocery store self checkout systems!Its interesting to think about though, as one person in the comments attempted to justify the theft since the stores are basically charging you to do work they should be doing, ( I will admit, I never thought about it like that).

Im curious to see what you guys think, is it theft or payment for work performed at the store?

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab
Theft is theft, stealing is stealing. Justify it any way you like, it’s not right. Always ask yourself: if I owned this store, would I be ok with customers stealing as payment for doing their own checking out?

These same people who think it’s ok to ‘game the grocer’ are the same people who would cry like a baby if someone stole something of theirs.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:

I also prefer not to use self checkout because I already have a job and do not want another one. In regards to returning carts to the coral, I will do that out of respect for the safety and well being of other shoppers and their vehicles. Rain or shine regardless of the weather I will do it. What other people choose to do, obviously, I have no control over.

I might add that I give thanks that I am physically able (Baby Boomer) to do my own shopping, return carts and use self checkout...if I must.
Yes. I'm physically able to do these things, but I think about those who can't, and live alone with no partner to help them. A trip to the store is an ordeal for some people. Sure, they can ask the store employees for help but many store workers don't want to help, depending on the store's level of service. Wal Mart? Forget asking for help there.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:58 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes. I'm physically able to do these things, but I think about those who can't, and live alone with no partner to help them. A trip to the store is an ordeal for some people. Sure, they can ask the store employees for help but many store workers don't want to help, depending on the store's level of service. Wal Mart? Forget asking for help there.
That is for sure. The Walmart near me usually only has about three checkers on duty at a time, and many items go unstocked for months at a time, because the manager doesn't want to pay enough people to get the job done. You can ask for help at Walmart, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Theft is theft, stealing is stealing. Justify it any way you like, it’s not right. Always ask yourself: if I owned this store, would I be ok with customers stealing as payment for doing their own checking out?

These same people who think it’s ok to ‘game the grocer’ are the same people who would cry like a baby if someone stole something of theirs.
Its theft, but walmart isnt loosing any money from it, I can all but guarantee that!

Considering that walmart is so BIG, they tend to get all the benefits in the contracts with vendors and suppliers. In all honesty, I would be shocked if Walmart lost one red cent from ANYTHING being shoplifted in their stores!! Its likely literally everything on their shelves is 'scan based'.

That begs a larger question too...is it still 'theft' is no one looses money/profit? It would appear so on the surface, as the thief is getting something he did not pay for, but on the other hand, if there is no victim and no loss...? IDK?

Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
Not true everywhere !

The Walmart near me did a major renovation.
All NEW modern self scanners were installed and only 6 cashier lines were left.

A person is assigned to each self scan " station" consisting of an area of about 8 scanners.

There are big TV's mounted above so that ONE person can keep an eye on the eight screens and the COST and # of items are real clear on each screen.

I was at Walmart recently when the monitor noticed a middle aged couple with many thing in their cart ready to leave yet the TV monitor showed VERY FEW items listed and checkout was listed as $38.00.

The lady monitor stopped the cart and the couple said " scanner must have acted up"
The lady monitor ran the ENTIRE cart thru the scanner after cancelling previous sale and the amount owed was NOT $38, but $132.

It wasn't even THEIR hard earned grocery money that they wanted to " stretch".

The purchase was via food stamps.

A worker said they do not catch everyone, but they do catch MANY.

( Her emphasis was on the word "MANY ")
Same thing at the Walmart by me; it was just redone. There may be 6 lanes left with cashiers. Each end has an area with 10 to 15 registers. They then have 4 self check out lanes with belts. 75% of the lanes are self check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's not always possible to park near a cart corral. Store workers increasingly these days do not want to help customers. They would say, that's not part of my job description. And it's true, it's not.

When I was a child, customers didn't put their carts back. I remember that store workers would assist my mom out to the car and then take her cart back. A lot of them got tips, too. Stores won't hire people to do this nowadays because they are cheap. They have passed the work on to you. But you don't realize it. In another ten years or so, you'll be required to re-stock shelves every time you remove items to purchase them. This is coming in our lifetime.
I have 2 Walmarts within 5 miles of my house; both stores have dedicated cart guys. The one at the store I normally go to is mentally handicapped. I'm not sure about the one in my town; if the person they have is handicapped or not.

I have a Shop Rite in my town too, they have someone doing carts. It's a family owned store. They still have people that will help elderly or disabled people load their car or even push a heavy cart out. That's rare to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
The store I go to has self scanners when you walk in the door. You scan your items and bag them as you go though the store and then, at the self checkout, you click a button on the hand scanner to say you are finished, a bar code comes up on the device, and you just scan that bar code and all your groceries are rung up. In that kind of situation, something mislabeled would easily pass. Funny thing though, all the times I've ever scanned things, they've never scanned cheaper for me. Sometimes, things on sale don't scan as on sale and I have to get the manager to override when I check out. That doesn't happen often and most times I don't bother. I put the item back instead of buying it. It's too much of a hassle to stand there and wait and try to explain things too.

Overall, I like the hand scanners and self checkout. I get to see how much my groceries are as I shop and I know right away if something is marked as on sale but really isn't. But I can easily see how someone could game the system. My store does random audits when you check out. If you are flagged, they come by and check 10 random items and make sure you scanned them and scanned them properly.
I use the Walmart app as I shop to check prices because a lot of times an item is actually cheaper then it's marked.

The random audits sounds smart. I wonder how many people they catch not paying for certain items.

I've actually had Walmart's self check out system flag me a few times where the person will come by and watch the video of me checking out. I wish I knew what it was flagging me for but the employee never says anything.

Quote:
It is theft, plain and simple. We are not little children who don't know any better. It is theft.

In all likelihood it will be profitable for Walmart and convenient for those who can afford to have this service performed for them. For those of us who still do our own shopping we will be compensating for those customers who do not because we will be doing the "task" Walmart employees used to do by using the self checkout. This is the future whether we like it or not.

Personally, I do not want a Walmart employee doing my shopping because if I decide I want collard greens instead of romaine lettuce because one is in better shape visually...I can change my grocery list to reflect that.

I would never use shop from home. I see the order pickers, seems they're always sick, coughing into their hands, wiping their nose; then order picking. No thank you!

As you say, I'd also like to actually see the produce I'm buying and pick it myself. I'm sure the pickers were never trained how to buy produce. Say I'm buying strawberries; I make sure to look for the pack with the most ripe or with none over ripe or moldy. It always amazes me the number of people that just grab any strawberry pack and put it in their cart.

Also things like grapes can be $1.88 one day and $2.88 another. I'm sure not paying over $1.88 for grapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
That's annoying, isn't it. There's one at the grocery closest to me that turns her back to the check outs to chat with a friend who happens to be passing. She must have lots of friends because it happens about every other time I'm there. Would it kill her to chat while facing the self-checks so she might notice if someone is staring at her or waving their arms needing help?
Get her name and tell the manager or say something to her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That is for sure. The Walmart near me usually only has about three checkers on duty at a time, and many items go unstocked for months at a time, because the manager doesn't want to pay enough people to get the job done. You can ask for help at Walmart, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.
From having the issue at my store, I found out it's the grocery manager not doing their job right.

Complain to Walmart corporate. When our store was redone, it seemed like they weren't restocking the great value seedless raspberry preserves and a few other products I regularly buy. I had to go to the store in my town (it's a little farther) in order to get 5 items. I ended up doing the survey on my receipts; it worked. It got passed down to the store manager.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its theft, but walmart isnt loosing any money from it, I can all but guarantee that!

Considering that walmart is so BIG, they tend to get all the benefits in the contracts with vendors and suppliers. In all honesty, I would be shocked if Walmart lost one red cent from ANYTHING being shoplifted in their stores!! Its likely literally everything on their shelves is 'scan based'.

That begs a larger question too...is it still 'theft' is no one looses money/profit? It would appear so on the surface, as the thief is getting something he did not pay for, but on the other hand, if there is no victim and no loss...? IDK?
I wouldn't count on that. I work for a nat'l chain, maybe 20% of our mdse is scan based. Out of roughly every $20k sold we lose at least $200 to shoplifting and damaged mdse. Somebody loses money on that, even if it's just the customer eating the cost in the way of higher prices so the retail company can recoup their loss. Shoplifting isn't a 'victimless' crime, not withstanding people who really want to believe that.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:26 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I have to say, if there was an app based scanner so you scan as you shop, then tap your phone to check out and pay, I would use it. As it stands right now, I don’t want to use the self check out. I’ve tried it. It doesn’t save time, it’s annoying, the thing tells me to do things much slower than I can do them.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:50 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I would never use shop from home. I see the order pickers, seems they're always sick, coughing into their hands, wiping their nose; then order picking. No thank you!

As you say, I'd also like to actually see the produce I'm buying and pick it myself. I'm sure the pickers were never trained how to buy produce. Say I'm buying strawberries; I make sure to look for the pack with the most ripe or with none over ripe or moldy. It always amazes me the number of people that just grab any strawberry pack and put it in their cart.

Also things like grapes can be $1.88 one day and $2.88 another. I'm sure not paying over $1.88 for grapes
Exactly this. I tried "order from home" a few times in the past, and while the workers were find (clean-cut, older retired women) I just know that I am VERY picky when it comes to produce selection. What one may deem a "fine" kiwi, I may not like. I prefer to pick my own stuff. I'd go pick it myself in the field if I could.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I wouldn't count on that. I work for a nat'l chain, maybe 20% of our mdse is scan based. Out of roughly every $20k sold we lose at least $200 to shoplifting and damaged mdse. Somebody loses money on that, even if it's just the customer eating the cost in the way of higher prices so the retail company can recoup their loss. Shoplifting isn't a 'victimless' crime, not withstanding people who really want to believe that.
Do you think $200 is significant enough to make the suppliers/ manufacturers, raise their prices as a result?

Last year, we lost close to 50 packs of Camel cigarettes, due to theft/shrink, we didnt loose any money though, as RJ Reynolds eats that per the contract, but even if you look at that, RJ Reynolds had a GREAT year last year!

My point is, using RJR as an example, for theft to reach a level where it impacted them, where they were forced to raised prices to cover it....theft would have to SIGNIFICANTLY increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events