Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 09:17 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times

Advertisements

I’d say....No worries, just mail it to me. The day I graduated was hotter than he**, and took forever.
People were miserable trying to fan themselves with their programs. The applause at the end was because it was mercifully over rather than congratulatory.
People couldn’t wait to get the heck out of there. Lol
I graduated and that’s all that mattered to me.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:37 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
My kids went to a private, college prep school with uniforms. It was definitely a conservative place, but one thing I really appreciated about them was the leniency on stuff like this. The girls uniform had numerous varieties - skorts (and some of them pretty short), skirts, shorts, pants and they could wear any kind of fun socks to make themselves more unique. My daughter had quite the collection. And for guys hair there literally were no hair cut guidelines. We had students with beards, long curly hair, long straight hair, pony tails, you name it. Friday was no uniform casual day. These kids were already working hard in a challenging school. This was not a hill anyone wanted to die on. And as a parent I loved it.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:50 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
The rule applies to all similarly situated persons it seems. Thus, while I may think the rule is silly, I cannot get outraged over it, especially when the rule isn't new. If I was the kid, I wouldn't walk as I damn sure wouldn't cut my hair to do so.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:52 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The rule applies to all similarly situated persons it seems. Thus, while I may think the rule is silly, I cannot get outraged over it, especially when the rule isn't new. If I was the kid, I wouldn't walk as I damn sure wouldn't cut my hair to do so.
That’s the right one. I love his hair, I’d be wearing it as a protest to a dumb rule. Dumb rules are meant to be broken.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:41 AM

5,461 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Of note, the author of the article can't seem to settle on the spelling of locks/locs. And what an irony that he goes to Barbers Hill high school.
Not quite right. The author of the article spells it 'locs'. The football wide receiver in his quoted statement spells it 'locks'.

Last edited by karlsch; 01-23-2020 at 12:55 AM..

Old 01-23-2020, 03:50 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Well, yes. They have a right to "discriminate" against a person with long hair.

Hair and dress codes are a part of virtually every single school district. They change over time, but yes, schools can tell students how to dress and groom themselves, and have forever done just that.
Arbitrary rules and regulations that have no affect on the education of the individual or the school population in general are certainly discriminatory. I cannot believe that in some places like this burg in Texas school boards are still willing to stake their claim to such ridiculous authority that will result in failure and economic loss to the taxpayers.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:02 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
I thought this petty hair length business was set aside 50 years ago. So stupid to expect teenagets to fix themselves up to look like 40 year old bankers.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Well, yes. They have a right to "discriminate" against a person with long hair.

Hair and dress codes are a part of virtually every single school district. They change over time, but yes, schools can tell students how to dress and groom themselves, and have forever done just that.
I agree with a previous poster who said if it hasn't been a problem all this time why is suddenly an issue now? If the school is only 4% black, I would think it's racism along with an archaic rule.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:17 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Hey it was my “vision” .
Seriously though Clara I have always had soft spot in my heart for the underdog.
Is this a bad kid?
I don’t think so.
Are they racist?
Maybe maybe not.
I think it is possibly more of a cultural thing and that is sort of grudgingly giving them a pass for me anyway.
They did however “move the finish line” for this kid and others if I am understanding this correctly.
Did they not?
The librarian views I own are telling me that this is just wrong and he is not being treated properly.

Since it's typically Black folks who have dreadlocks, I'm thinking racist is a good call. I think the parents are doing the right thing here.

If a young lady was told to cut her long hair, she'd be devastated. We all know that. To say "it'll grow back" is just cruel, to me. If he has to cut his dreadlocks, I'm sure it'd have the same impact on him.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The rule IS new, that's the problem.

This rule was written into the dress code in December.

I would really like an accounting of why the rule was changed. Is there, in general, a fashion for boys to wear their hair shaggier that they are trying to squash?

OR, what I suspect (just me, being suspicious) this rule is aimed squarely at dreadlocks on the very, very small minority of male black students.

It is interesting, the barber they interviewed in the story (I guess riffing on the Barbers Hill pun) said "this is by far not a racial issue". Um. Funny, to come right out and say that, when the school board didn't make a note of that. Translation: this is a racial issue and everyone knows it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events