Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 AM

35,810 posts, read 18,143,758 times

Advertisements

Apparently the school dress code is very clear, and his hair is too long for school and graduation.

Of note, the author of the article can't seem to settle on the spelling of locks/locs. And what an irony that he goes to Barbers Hill high school.

https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/...e-559f30c26175

Old 01-22-2020, 10:38 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,073,406 times
I'm assuming this is a public school? If it is a public school, I think that particular rule is outdated, and unfair.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm assuming this is a public school? If it is a public school, I think that particular rule is outdated, and unfair.
Then that's for the elected school board to decide. Some communities are more conservative than others.

When I was in high school, we had virtually the same hair code for boys (so maybe it IS outdated, haha) and boys who wanted to wear long hair had to hide it under a wig. The boys were called "wigheads", a definitely edgy group that might be kind of like a goth group of today, and they popped their wigs on top of their heads with their hair dangling below. Cheapest, ugliest wigs they could find, often worn backwards.

Also, the wigheads all smelled like cigarette smoke and arrived in class 2 minutes late.

I didn't realize how odd this was until one of my kids was going through my high school yearbook and spotted a couple wigheads.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:58 AM

23,911 posts, read 33,717,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Apparently the school dress code is very clear, and his hair is too long for school and graduation.

Of note, the author of the article can't seem to settle on the spelling of locks/locs. And what an irony that he goes to Barbers Hill high school.

https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/...e-559f30c26175
I think it's way out dated. I hope he fights it. Heck, if he was my son who does have long hair, I'd tell him to not walk at graduation. Eff them. My son hasn't had a hair cut since 9th grade, he's 34 now. His great grandmother always wanted him to cut it but at one point she accepted it because he was a good kid. She passed away 6 days shy of her 108th birthday..

Either is correct according to google - "Locs" or "Locks" in Black Hair
Quote:
Short for, or replacing the somewhat negative term "dreadlocks," locs are a hairstyle where the hair that one would normally comb or shed locks into itself, creating ropelike strands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Barbers Hill High School google - Barbers Hill High School is a 5A public high school based in Mont Belvieu, Texas. It is part of the Barbers Hill Independent School District located in western Chambers County. In 2015, the school was rated "Met Standard" by the Texas Education Agency.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:16 AM

There was this boy in Bastrop, Texas. Zachariah Toungate, in the 1990's. He had a rat tail haircut in 3rd grade, which was against hair code, and if he wouldn't cut it, he'd have to spend his time at school in in school suspension.

The controversy raged, and eventually died down, with Bastrop ISD winning in court, stating the community has a right to determine dress and hair code for its students. There was another child who was allowed to wear his hair a little longer, due to the fact that his hair hid a skull deformity, and the Toungates brought that up that he should have to cut his hair, too.

Years passed, and Zachariah's parents stubbornly stuck to this notion that he should be able to wear a rat tail. He graduated high school, never having been in a regular classroom since 2nd grade - he was schooled entirely in in school suspension.

Before anyone blames the school, saying "it's just hair", I'd say to the parents, "it's just HAIR!!!" and can't believe they put him through all that just so he could have a ratty looking hairstyle. I would feel differently if this were a religious belief, or as in the other boy, the hair hid a deformity.

He's now, as anyone could guess, amounted to nothing and he's angry and disgruntled.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:33 AM

51,113 posts, read 36,826,194 times
I find it absolutely ridiculous that they let him attend school here and do all his studies and earn enough credits to graduate, and the hair wasn’t a big deal then… But now all of a sudden it’s the line in the sand for him to walk through graduation? It just seems like a pretty stupid hill to die on for the school in my opinion, especially since apparently he’s been a student there with the same haircut for however long he’s been there. What’s the point of cutting it now, for this one day? If the hair was against their code, they should’ve dealt with it a long time ago.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:38 AM

36,769 posts, read 31,056,034 times
Its discriminatory, school rules should apply to both sexes. He should sue. Or at least take it up with the school board first.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:40 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,531,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I find it absolutely ridiculous that they let him attend school here and do all his studies and earn enough credits to graduate, and the hair wasn’t a big deal then… But now all of a sudden it’s the line in the sand for him to walk through graduation? It just seems like a pretty stupid hill to die on for the school in my opinion, especially since apparently he’s been a student there with the same haircut for however long he’s been there. What’s the point of cutting it now, for this one day? If the hair was against their code, they should’ve dealt with it a long time ago.
And it proves that his having longer hair didn't affect his or other students' abilty to learn. There's been a lot of backlash about natural hairstyles being looked at as "less professional." This is an outdated rule.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:49 AM

23,911 posts, read 33,717,745 times
Does anyone remember the wrestler last year who was told to cut his hair?

Referee who made high school wrestler cut dreadlocks is suspended for two years

Quote:
The DCR also issued new “Guidance on Race Discrimination Based on Hairstyle” to clarify that policies banning, limiting or restricting hairstyles closely associated with those of African-American descent — including twists and dreadlocks — may violate New Jersey law.

“Student athletes should be able to compete with each other on a level playing field,” AG Grewal said in a statement. “Racial discrimination in the enforcement of the rules of any sport is inconsistent with the spirit of fair play."
Quote:
Agree. Why is it all of a sudden he had to take them out?

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-22-2020 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 12:02 PM

10,122 posts, read 6,492,274 times
Quote:
I agree totally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events